• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

punk patissier

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

yay piping!

Very nice looking. Can you share any suggestions on how to do this? I get the basic technique, but when I have tried it, the lines have come out broken, especially on the sides of the mold. If you had used a flat dome or hemisphere kind of mold, I would understand how it worked, but you have one with fairly steep sides. I am guessing you held the tip of the piping bag very close to the mold. And perhaps the viscosity of the substance used (dark chocolate?) is also a key.

In any event, I have wanted to do this, but every time I have tried, I have ended up with random splotches on the mold.

Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

Chris,

So I must ask: What lies beneath this zebra-like exterior? Knowing your work, I assume the decoration must be something related to the filling.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Chris

I imagine that took a very long time!

Hello... I'm new here, but I would like to hijack this awesome thread and ask for some troubleshooting tips. When I am making molded chocolates with transfer sheets (magnetic molds) I often get ringing patterns on the top (photos attached).

I am using E. Guittard 72% couverture, and sometimes add Mycryo. Also tempering using a bain marie and the seeding method (at home, no fancy machines, I'm a hobbyist). Transfer sheets are from ChefRubber, though I also see this with other acetate from the art store (for example, the oval shapes in the photos below). I had been using the fridge to speed up filling/releasing process (until I read this thread and Grewling's books), but it happens even if I do everything at room temperature.

What causes this, and how do I mitigate it? It seems to happen even with the first pieces I make, so I don't think its simply that the chocolate is falling out of temper. It's like it shrinks at different rates and pulls away from the acetate differently at the edges.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Marianne

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

Welcome mirihn. Unmolding marks like this happen on smooth surfaces. It tends to be worse on lighter polycarbonate (cheaper molds) and on the acetate sheets that the cocoa butter is printed on for transfer sheets.

It's hard to eliminate entirely - but making sure the chocolate is as warm as possible in the working temperature range and leaving the chocolate in contact with the transfer overnight before pulling it off may help minimize the marks.

Do you put your molds in the fridge for a short while after making the shells to carry off the latent heat of crystallization?

Guiness bon bons! Of course, one of these things doesn't look like the others!

Guess I need to figure out how to attach the image in the new software.

Guiness bon bons! Of course, one of these things doesn't look like the others!

G

OK. Here they are... Guiness bon bons!

Sooo... do you ship to Canada? :biggrin:

Beautiful!

Those are just beautiful! I'd love to know how you get that application of metallic - so you mix it with something, I assume a cocoa butter based colour, finger apply then spray over it with the second colour?

cheers

Chris

They do look awesome but he had me at Guinness... after that, they could have looked like polished moose poop and I'd still be interested. Fortunately, they don't look anything like that.

No, I don't ship to Canada, but I will be at the Niagara workshop in late April. If you're nice, maybe I'll bring some. ;-)

Those are just beautiful! I'd love to know how you get that application of metallic - so you mix it with something, I assume a cocoa butter based colour, finger apply then spray over it with the second colour?

cheers

Chris

Actually, it IS the cocoa butter. Gold, in fact (has that nice shiny flake).

No, I don't ship to Canada, but I will be at the Niagara workshop in late April. If you're nice, maybe I'll bring some. ;-)

I didn't actually expect you to ship them to me, that was just my way of saying they sound really good. I'm hoping to make the workshop but it honestly isn't looking too good right now. Had some unexpected stuff happening the past couple months that may make it financially not a good idea right now... but I haven't given up completely yet.

Two pieces to round out my menu for the next few weeks...

Bailey's Irish Cream

Photo1 copy.jpg

and Lemongrass & Coconut (I need to work on the decoration here a bit, but you get the idea)

Photo1.jpg

Those Bailey's ones look AMAZING. How do you get them so shiny?

Steve, how did you decorate your lemongrass & coconut pieces? My best guess is that you are using templates and masking off section and then airbrushing but I'd like to know what you are really doing to get those effects.

Sorry the photos are all on their side.

Today was about Easter eggs.

photoeggs.JPG

and Fresh Mint

photomint.JPG

and Root Beer Float

photorootbeer.JPG

I love the colour on those eggs, just wonderful!

It was a long weekend this weekend, so I pushed out some chocolates :)

555096_299224780205403_92841761_n.jpg

601579_299224773538737_1427603315_n.jpg

601040_299224666872081_1090151785_n.jpg

• Similar Content

• By melmck
      I am searching for a natural source of food colorings, to tint buttercream, & use in chocolate work. I don't like commercial FC, it is synthetic and toxic to boot. Has anyone found a good source/vendor who has naturally derived colorings
    • By eglies
      Hi there,
      i am moving into our lab next week so excited!!!! I have one million questions but the ones popping up in my head are
      1) If I have 6 moulded bonbon recipes to airbrush, fill and cover and 6 bars recipes to make for our production,how do you organise production? Can someone give me an example of their weekly plan am and pm plan just to get an idea? I have a Selmi 😀. 
      2) how many bonbons and bars should I produce just before we launch? I have my budgets and projections but you know those first weeks God knows how you will do! Should I be freezing from the beginning? And what is the ideal packaging way to freeze bonbons? 

Thank you so appreciate it! 
    • By eglies
      Hi there, Anyone use any specific equipment or product to clean chocolate from floors? 
    • By Pastrypastmidnight
      Does anyone have a chewy chocolate caramel recipe they love? One that holds its shape but can be cut on a guitar? The recipes I’ve tried have either been not very chocolate-y or suuuuuuuper stiff. Like, I bruised the palm of my hand cutting them stiff :(. 

Or or even if you can just point me in the direction of some theory, that would be great!
    • By pastrygirl
      A mistake was made with my Albert Uster order this week and I received it twice.  Since it's shipped from CA, doesn't go bad, and I'll use it eventually, I'm not going to mess with trying to return the second delivery.  But now I have a huge amount of inventory so I thought I'd see if anyone here was looking for Felchlin by the bag. 

Each bag is 2kg (4# 7oz) in the following varieties and prices:

Maracaibo Creole 49%, $48
      Sao Palme 60%, $30
      Arriba 72%, $46

As for shipping, I can fit 2 bags in a medium flat rate box for $14 or 3 bags in a large box for $19 to go anywhere in the USA.  

If you'd like some, PM me with your selection, email, and shipping address.  I'll invoice you via Square and you can pay securely online with a credit card.

Thanks for reading!