• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

punk patissier

Chocolates with that Showroom Finish, 2012 –

486 posts in this topic

yay piping!

Very nice looking. Can you share any suggestions on how to do this? I get the basic technique, but when I have tried it, the lines have come out broken, especially on the sides of the mold. If you had used a flat dome or hemisphere kind of mold, I would understand how it worked, but you have one with fairly steep sides. I am guessing you held the tip of the piping bag very close to the mold. And perhaps the viscosity of the substance used (dark chocolate?) is also a key.

In any event, I have wanted to do this, but every time I have tried, I have ended up with random splotches on the mold.

Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

Hi Jim,

thanks for the comment - starting piping in the middle of the mold and drag the piping bag along the surface of the mold out towards the rim. In this case, I had to tilt the mold as I was piping so that I could pipe up the side nicely. It's hard to describe without seeing! Basically, you're piping big Y shapes for that one, and the point where the lines in the Y intersect is where I started from.

Chris

Chris,

So I must ask: What lies beneath this zebra-like exterior? Knowing your work, I assume the decoration must be something related to the filling.

Jim

A raspberry confit on top of a balsamic ganache :)

857445_292589140868967_671562538_o.jpg

Hi Jim,

Chris

I imagine that took a very long time!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Hello... I'm new here, but I would like to hijack this awesome thread and ask for some troubleshooting tips. When I am making molded chocolates with transfer sheets (magnetic molds) I often get ringing patterns on the top (photos attached).

I am using E. Guittard 72% couverture, and sometimes add Mycryo. Also tempering using a bain marie and the seeding method (at home, no fancy machines, I'm a hobbyist). Transfer sheets are from ChefRubber, though I also see this with other acetate from the art store (for example, the oval shapes in the photos below). I had been using the fridge to speed up filling/releasing process (until I read this thread and Grewling's books), but it happens even if I do everything at room temperature.

What causes this, and how do I mitigate it? It seems to happen even with the first pieces I make, so I don't think its simply that the chocolate is falling out of temper. It's like it shrinks at different rates and pulls away from the acetate differently at the edges.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Marianne

photo3.jpg

photo.jpg

Welcome mirihn. Unmolding marks like this happen on smooth surfaces. It tends to be worse on lighter polycarbonate (cheaper molds) and on the acetate sheets that the cocoa butter is printed on for transfer sheets.

It's hard to eliminate entirely - but making sure the chocolate is as warm as possible in the working temperature range and leaving the chocolate in contact with the transfer overnight before pulling it off may help minimize the marks.

Do you put your molds in the fridge for a short while after making the shells to carry off the latent heat of crystallization?

Guiness bon bons! Of course, one of these things doesn't look like the others!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Guess I need to figure out how to attach the image in the new software.

Guiness bon bons! Of course, one of these things doesn't look like the others!

G

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

OK. Here they are... Guiness bon bons!

Guiness Bon Bon.jpg

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Sooo... do you ship to Canada? :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Beautiful!

Those are just beautiful! I'd love to know how you get that application of metallic - so you mix it with something, I assume a cocoa butter based colour, finger apply then spray over it with the second colour?

cheers

Chris

They do look awesome but he had me at Guinness... after that, they could have looked like polished moose poop and I'd still be interested. Fortunately, they don't look anything like that.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

No, I don't ship to Canada, but I will be at the Niagara workshop in late April. If you're nice, maybe I'll bring some. ;-)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Those are just beautiful! I'd love to know how you get that application of metallic - so you mix it with something, I assume a cocoa butter based colour, finger apply then spray over it with the second colour?

cheers

Chris

Actually, it IS the cocoa butter. Gold, in fact (has that nice shiny flake).

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

No, I don't ship to Canada, but I will be at the Niagara workshop in late April. If you're nice, maybe I'll bring some. ;-)

I didn't actually expect you to ship them to me, that was just my way of saying they sound really good. I'm hoping to make the workshop but it honestly isn't looking too good right now. Had some unexpected stuff happening the past couple months that may make it financially not a good idea right now... but I haven't given up completely yet.

Two pieces to round out my menu for the next few weeks...

Bailey's Irish Cream

Photo1 copy.jpg

and Lemongrass & Coconut (I need to work on the decoration here a bit, but you get the idea)

Photo1.jpg

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Those Bailey's ones look AMAZING. How do you get them so shiny?

Steve, how did you decorate your lemongrass & coconut pieces? My best guess is that you are using templates and masking off section and then airbrushing but I'd like to know what you are really doing to get those effects.

Sorry the photos are all on their side.

Today was about Easter eggs.

photoeggs.JPG

and Fresh Mint

photomint.JPG

and Root Beer Float

photorootbeer.JPG

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I love the colour on those eggs, just wonderful!

It was a long weekend this weekend, so I pushed out some chocolates :)

555096_299224780205403_92841761_n.jpg

601579_299224773538737_1427603315_n.jpg

601040_299224666872081_1090151785_n.jpg

• Similar Content

• By Choky
      After searching this one and other forums I found a number of reasons / solutions for release marks:

1 - mold should be cold and go right away to fridge
      2 - mold should be cold and only go to fridge after beginning of crystallization
      3 - mold should be heated
      4 - because of over crystallization
      6 - not professional molds (too much flex)
      5 - use cooling tunnel instead of fridge so that mold is cooled gradually

I'm having trouble with release marks, as seen in the photo:

I've tried numbers 1, 2 and 3 above without success, number 4 I'm not sure how to control, number 5 is not the cause as I'm using professional molds and number 6 is not an investment that I can do right now.

Any help would be appreciated!
    • By Choky
      Can a chocolate have 2 possible tempering settings?
      For example, using a continuous tempering machine, it can be tempered at 49ºC / 32ºC, but eventually also at 54ºC / 34ºC ?

Thanks in advance!
    • By ChristysConfections
      Hello Fellow Chocolatiers!

I am working on calculated appropriate prices for my handmade chocolates. It's absolutely shocking that after 10 years of making chocolates, I never really dared to delve into the nitty-gritty cost of goods. And when I worked at a chocolate shop that was never a concern placed on my plate.

So, I have attemped (with my horrible lack of excel spreadsheet skills) to figure out my cost of goods (including labor and packaging). Somehow, I must be doing something terribly wrong, as my costs worked out to be about $1.50 to make ONE PIECE. That seems outrageous! Granted, that did include using locally made bean-to-bar chocolate from a small producer. My business-partner-to-be is helping me sort it out (thankful that she and excel have a much better relationship). However, I need some information that is don't have at the moment and thought you guys might be able to help fill in the gaps.

1. For the sake of comparison, with cost of ingredients and labour (no packaging) how much does is cost you to produce one chocolate?

2. For those that make the fairly standard 22.5mm square enrobed chocolates, are you able to tell me how much and individual ganache square weighs pre-enrobing? How about post-enrobing? I know how much my ganache cost, but I don't know how many grams per piece to allot for the enrobed chocolate coating. And I am not in production right now so I can't test it out. If you can share it would be so helpful.

ETA: can anyone tell me the same for one of their molded chocolates?

Obviously there are variables like the height of the ganache and the size of the mould, but at least it would give me an idea. 

many thanks!
      Christy
    • By Kasia

I prepared two versions: the first one with desiccated coconut and blueberries and the second with dark chocolate and strawberries. Choose your favorite dessert or go crazy and make your own version.

Bright dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of white chocolate
      100g of blueberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese
      2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut

Melt 150g of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8 cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the white chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the white chocolate and the desiccated coconut and stir thoroughly. Wash the blueberries and drain them. Put the first chocolate circles onto a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of blueberries and once again chocolate, cream and blueberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. 
      Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

Dark dessert

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      200g of dark chocolate
      1 tablespoon of cocoa
      a couple of strawberries
      200ml of 30% sweet cream
      200ml of mascarpone cheese

Melt 150g of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Draw six 8cm circles on a sheet of baking paper. Put 2-3 tablespoons of chocolate on each of them and smear it around to cover the whole circle. Leave them at room temperature to congeal and then put them in the fridge for 2 hours. Melt the rest of the dark chocolate in a bain-marie. Whisk the cream. Add the mascarpone cheese after whisking. Add the dark chocolate and the cocoa and stir thoroughly. Wash the strawberries and remove the shanks. Leave 3-4 nice bits of fruit for decoration, and cut the rest into small pieces. Put the first chocolate circles on a plate, then a layer of the cream and a couple of strawberry pieces and then once again chocolate, cream and strawberries. Put the last chocolate circle on the top. Decorate with the rest of the cream, fruit and peppermint leaves. Serve chilled.

• By ChristysConfections
      I have an opportunity to work as the head chocolatier for a local chocolate business. I will be going in to discuss with the owner tomorrow. I am notorious for undervaluing myself and my skills, but I want to change that. I have worked in the industry for 10 years and worked in one of the larger artisan local chocolate companies for 5 years. Does anyone know what the going hourly rate it for this type of position? I would be developing new recipes and running all production operations myself. It's only a part time gig (at the moment, as they have very small production). I will continue with my own business on the side for now - the owner knows this and is completely comfortable with it. I would possibly even be able to be the successor to this business once the owner retires. 

Also, anyone have input on working as an employee while developing recipes for another business? I feel so protective of my recipes that I will be sad to see some become the property of another business. I guess it is just all part of the nature of this line of work. I could be a sub-contractor and just provide this company with product, but they would prefer that I work and consult with them in-house and utilize their facilities.