• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoisin Sauce: What's a Good Brand? What to Look For?

Shel_B

I don't recall ever using prepared Hoisin sauce, and now I want to try making a Hoisin vinaigrette. What should I know about this sauce, what should I look for? Would Lee Kum Kee be considered a good choice for a commercial sauce? I notice that there are a couple of versions of Lee Kum Kee Hoisin sauce.

I checked out some recipes for making my own sauce, but they differed substantially in the ingredient list. Does anyone have a recipe, or suggestions for ingredients, should I decide to make my own?

Thanks!

... Shel

I checked out some recipes for making my own sauce, but they differed substantially in the ingredient list.

That is just the nature of many Chinese sauces. There are no definitive recipes.

Lee Kum Kee is a reasonable middle of the road version (and the one you are most likely to find in supermarkets in China). Without knowing what other brands are available to you, I can't say more.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I checked out some recipes for making my own sauce, but they differed substantially in the ingredient list.

That is just the nature of many Chinese sauces. There are no definitive recipes.

Perhaps I'll go down to the nearby, big Asian market, and look at the variety they have there, maybe buy a couple and compare them. Just because some restaurant I've never eaten at uses a particular brand doesn't mean I'd like it, or that it would be best suited for my needs. Thanks!

... Shel

Why is it called "Hoisin" sauce?

Hoisin is the Cantonese pronunciation of 海鲜 (hǎi xiān in Mandarin). It literally means 'sea taste', although it contains no seafood.

It is the same with the many fish-flavour (鱼香 yú xiāng) dishes in China. None of them contain fish either, but are made with ingredients which traditionally accompany fish.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just an fyi, in my experience, the LKK in the bottle can be used as is, but some of the jarred ones (I thought I saw a post of one with a blue and yellow label--that's the one we use--but I must have imagined it) taste better when cooked with a little oil. Don't know about the one liuzhou posted, but that's just been my experience.