• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookware at Bed, Bath & Beyond

Porthos

A friend of mine who cooks well and enjoys cooking for family and friends asked for my recommendation for new cookware. He's not looking for Mauviel and such. He's just ready to replace his 25 year-old stuff - heavy-gauge cast aluminum.

I told him that I'm not much help because I tend to favor no-frills commercial cookware from restaurant supply houses. My main recommendation was to NOT buy a set but to find what he wants in open stock and buy the pieces he'll really use.

He has a serious limitation. Bed, Bath and Beyond is the only store anywhere near him that has a selection of cookware. He lives in farming country and doesn't fancy trips away to look for new stuff. And he wants to be able to touch and handle pots and pans so the internet, which he does use, is not an option.

All that being said, what brands of cookware at BB&B would you, my fellow egulleters, recommend he look at? My last purchase at BB&B was an Analon skillet for a gift and I think it was well received.

As an aside, my guess is that he will buy 1 item per shopping trip to use those blessed 20% certificates that make things almost affordable there.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I believe they carry this set at BB&B and they sell the same individually also, that coupon would def come on handy...

They also carry some of the le creuset cast iron enameled beauties as well as their stainless steel line. After he goes sees and feels and finds the right ones he may want reconsider ordering online, the prices look pretty discounted...and free shipping is included. There might be even cheaper if he uses google shopping to find the best prices...

www.eatthesun.com

Cast iron from the hardware store is always a good option.

WalMart carries Tramontina pans which have gotten very high ratings. I'd give them a serious look.

Agreed--if he has a BBB, then he probably has a WalMart and/or local hardware store. WM carries Lodge brand enameled cast iron as well as Tramontina cast iron; both are decent quality products for the price. Many independent hardware stores also carry Lodge's preseasoned line of uncoated cast iron (it is quite inexpensive considering the longevity of CI). I'd start off with a 5 quart dutch oven and a 9 quart dutch oven....and WalMart offers a "ship to store" option that allows you to shop online and saves you the shipping costs; Ace hardware stores offer the same service.

Then move on to some Allclad stainless steel saute pans/skillets/sauciers. And throw in one nonstick for eggs: BBB carries Scanpan nonstick in a variety of sizes.

Yet another vote for Tramontina's 18/10 stainless tri-ply. I bought their 10-piece set for my second home from Wal-Mart. I don't live near Wal-Mart, so had it shipped to me and both the price and shipping were economical (less than half of most comparable quality products). The quality and finish is first-rate--I like them nearly as well as All-Clad. The saute pans are excellent and yield a strong, even heat on my gas (propane) range. Ditto for the pots. They clean very easily--especially if properly heated, so I haven't put them in my dishwasher yet (though directions say doing so is OK). I haven't used the Dutch oven for making stew yet and instead use my Le Cruset. The pots and pans in the 10-piece set are on the large size and are suitable for cookng for a crowd. The 8-piece sets feature pot/pan sizes that I think are a bit odd for my style of cooking. Handles are comfortable and stay reasonably cool. My only gripe is that I wish the larger saute pan had a second handle because it's heavy and that it lacks a lid (the others have lids).

I have a couple of Simply Calphalon SS saucepans my daughter bought at BB&B. They are unbelievably nice for the price. I've been using them almost every day for a couple of years and am very happy with them. I haven't tried any of the fry/saute pans of this line, but the saucepans are nice.

...And he wants to be able to touch and handle pots and pans so the internet, which he does use, is not an option.

To me, this seems the central point. So I wonder if, for his sake, we're not better off warning him off any bad products one might find at BB&B.

I'm imagining myself handling a skillet admiringly and someone I might respect coming up and saying "That surface is going to scratch something horrible."

Despite the fact that he asked for a recommendation, it appears that he wants to make up his mind with his own hands. So perhaps he's really asking for some education.