• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion or Leek Alternative

Shel_B

I'm looking for something as an alternative to onions and leeks to use in a vegetable stew, specifically a version of Three Sisters Stew, which I make with Kabocha, Acorn or Butternut squash, corn, and beans - usually lima beans. I'd like something that might compliment those main ingredients, or offer a flavor profile that might enhance them in some way. What are ramps like? Thanks!

... Shel

I like garlic (same family right?) cooked with the rather sweet ingredients and then finish with chives or thinly sliced green onion just stirred in before serving - long enough to take any harsh edge off.

I suppose the question I should have asked before posting was "Why no onion or leek?" That might steer us into a direction that helps.

No particular reason except that I was wondering what other members of the alium family might be workable. I don't know too many "onion" varieties, and was thinking there may be some suggestions that I could get more info about and use to make my stew a little different and, perhaps, more interesting. I've been happy using onion and leek in the dish, but it's always nice to learn about a new ingredient.

... Shel

Yeah. That. What heidih said. I mean, what came to mind for me was a guy I work with. He's a vegetarian but extends his list of 'forbidden foodstuffs' to include onions, garlic or anything in that delicious, delicious family of oniony things. Won't eat any of them ever. He says they're stimulants. If you're thinking along those lines or are, say, allergic, then maybe basically everything suggested so far is useless to you. Then again, you mentioned ramps, which I assume are in the same family, so perhaps that's not the case.

But, too, what's wrong with onions? I mean, onions do enhance the flavours of other ingredients. You're caramelising them all the way, right?

EDIT

For the sake of adding a new suggestion, try white onions. In Australia at least they're slightly more expensive than the brown ones but I think they're better in most onion applications.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Shel, we West Coasters are out of luck on the ramps. Maybe up in the Northwest, but my understanding is they are an Atlantic coast spring crop only. Every spring, I get green with envy reading all the rhapsodizing by the Easterners about their ramps. Aside from that, as Hassouni mentioned, way out of season now.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Right, here on the left coast ramps are pretty hard to find. I think I saw them at Berkeley Bowl once, but they looked like they had been to hell and back. Hardly worth the expense for wilted imports. Now at the farmers' markets there are lots of different onion varieties, so that's one place to start if you want to experiment.

You might want to try sweet onions for a different taste.

Vidalia's, Maui's or Walla Walla's for example.

It would be interesting to see if they really make a tasteable difference. Haven't tried it myself.

You might want to try sweet onions for a different taste [...]

It would be interesting to see if they really make a tasteable difference.

That should be easy enough to do. Never thought of going that route.

... Shel

Right, here on the left coast ramps are pretty hard to find [...] Now at the farmers' markets there are lots of different onion varieties, so that's one place to start if you want to experiment.

No wonder I've never seen them. Didn't know they were more of an east coast item.

We hit the Farmers Markets a couple of times a week.

... Shel

Dave, I've found that for the most part, sweet onions don't do well when cooked. They're SO sweet that they lose flavour when cooked. They work better in salads and as a garnish, where the bright flavour stands out. Maybe use minced, to scatter on top of the stew at service, but that might defeat the rustic nature of the stew. just a thought...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Yeah. That. What heidih said. I mean, what came to mind for me was a guy I work with. He's a vegetarian but extends his list of 'forbidden foodstuffs' to include onions, garlic or anything in that delicious, delicious family of oniony things. Won't eat any of them ever. He says they're stimulants. If you're thinking along those lines or are, say, allergic, then maybe basically everything suggested so far is useless to you. Then again, you mentioned ramps, which I assume are in the same family, so perhaps that's not the case.

But, too, what's wrong with onions? I mean, onions do enhance the flavours of other ingredients. You're caramelising them all the way, right?

EDIT

For the sake of adding a new suggestion, try white onions. In Australia at least they're slightly more expensive than the brown ones but I think they're better in most onion applications.

also fall into the vegetarian category that avoids garlic, onion, stimulants/ etc... your friend at work must be a meditate... anyhow for flavorI I use this. Though just a pinch can go a long way, but it does really does work!

www.eatthesun.com

Dave, I've found that for the most part, sweet onions don't do well when cooked. They're SO sweet that they lose flavour when cooked. They work better in salads and as a garnish, where the bright flavour stands out. Maybe use minced, to scatter on top of the stew at service, but that might defeat the rustic nature of the stew. just a thought...

Agree with this. And in the case of red onions there's something off, not sure what it is, about the texture. Maybe the layers a bit thinnier than the layers on a white or brown onion.

You know, just a thought and all, but have you considered something like dropping some roasted whole shallots into the mix? An added textural/flavour thing. I think it'd work.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

[...] have you considered something like dropping some roasted whole shallots into the mix? An added textural/flavour thing. I think it'd work.

That's worth thinking about. How does roasting effect the flavor/texture of the shallots ... similar to what happens with yellow onions and garlic?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Thanks for putting me right on the onions. As I said I've never tried them in a stew.

Whole roasted shallots might work.

Parsnips would add a different flavour. We use them in soups all the time.

Celery root is another possibility. Maybe too mild, but different.

Linda's favourite is to add a dash of ground cumin. That's yummy!