• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

A fun dinner last night, High cal, high taste and I am now about 10 pounds bigger!

-- Bread Pakoras stuffed with mince lamb

-- Green chili chutney

-- Lentil dumplings in a yogurt sauce (Dahi Wada) with tamarind chutney

-- Egplant and Onion fritters

-- Mango Lassi

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Baked potatoes (rubbed in salt and baked for 1 hour at 400 -- no foil)

Did you cut the ends of them this time, or leave the spuds whole?

Yeah. They tasted the same as always. I think the people who were so impressed with the technique I posted on the baked potato thread had never baked a potato without foil. Cutting the ends off and standing the potatoes upright on the rack makes no difference whatsoever.

At least they weren't gummy this time.

Last night's dinner:

Curried Chicken Salad Stuffed Pita

Ruffles Potato Chips

Diet Orange Cream Stewarts Soda

Edy's Chocolate Silk Ice Cream

Last night's dinner was an attempt to thin out the contents of an overflowing fridge. What I had thought was going to be a night of cooking drudgery, however, turned out to be fairly inspired (at least for a weeknight whomp). It was pretty good.

Chicken legs cooked in a cast-iron grill pan, and served with lemongrass salsa (tomato, lemongrass, cilantro, shallot, jalapeno, fish sauce, and a touch of rice wine vinegar).

Green beans parboiled in rice wine and chicken stock, then sauteed quickly in sesame oil and tossed with black sesame seeds, diced red pepper, diced jalapeno, thinly-sliced scallions, and shoyu.

Salad of whatever leaves were in my fridge (spinach, red leaf lettuce, radicchio, watercress, other stuff?), diced cucumber, and a rind of goat gouda waved quickly over a microplane, with a sherry vinaigrette.

Served with a white Rioja that had been contributing to the clutter in my refrigerator.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Tuesday dinner:

very rushed

penne with raw tomato sauce , tuna (canned) and lots of fresh basil mixed with EVOO, a splash of balsamic and salt and pepper

dessert:

ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Light, quick (but colorful!) dinner at home alone tonight:

a big ol' heap of steamed purple potatoes, broccoli rabe sauteed with garlic and carmelized onions, lots of s&p, evoo

roasted beets with a red wine vinegar/lemon juice/evoo dressing, minced shallots, toasted almonds and walnuts

for dessert, sliced fresh strawberries with black fig vinegar

Not the most balanced meal ever, but I have to admit that the purple/green/yellow/red on the plate was striking.

Pan-fried tofu cutlets with drizzles of plum sauce and honey mustard

Roasted asparagus, evoo, Maldon salt, you know the drill

Cornbread

Apple-rhubarb crisp for dessert.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Malawry (log)

Thai beef salad, with mixed greens, wild arugula, spring onions, jalapenos, basil, mint, and cashews.

Sliced strawberries macerated in balsamic vinegar for dessert.

Drank the rest of a Clos Malverne Cabernet-Shiraz with dinner (didn't really match, but it was there) and port with dessert.

Roasted a chicken, mostly to complement the plum preserves from last summer. Browned sourdough bread slices in some of the pan drippings, a crouton trip, also in service of the preserves. Little white creamer potatoes cut in wedges, tossed with olive oil, rosemary, sea salt, cracked pepper, roasted on a sheet pan, turning this way and that to brown all sides. Nice redleaf salad with olive oil and the teensy-bottle Balsamico. Dinner.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Late dinner after co-op board meeting:

finally knocked off the last of the pork-tropical veg stew, with a couple of boiled ripe plantains added to round it out.

mixed salad with balsamic vinaigrette

La Crema 2000 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir: drinkable, but not very good at all. Will probably cook with most of the rest of the bottles.

Margaret: LOVE the avatar! :laugh:

I mentioned this is the Chinese Soup thread...I made Corn Lemongrass soup, a version of Velvet Corn soup , from the Ming Tsai cookbook, Blue Ginger, which I rec'd for mothers day.

I used the rather poor fresh corn that is avail in NJ..I think its FL corn...and some frozen South African lobster tails I had left over from a school function...and even with these less than great ingredients, it was a wonderful soup. Intense corn flavor...you make the base with the cobs..all in all, it was fun to make, easy, and delicious.

I like the approachable tone of the Ming Tsai book...not to mention that he is VERY sexy, IMHO!

Chicken, thighs and legs roasted with a mixture of :

garlic

ginger

soy sauce

orange juice

sesame oil

Gomasio

First covered then uncovered and broiled along sliced carrots (the ones with the ridges) so that they get a nice color and crispy skin. Served sprinkled with fresh cilantro and toasted sesame seeds on top of white rice.

Dessert:

Alton Brown's Coacoa Brownies -- so rich and delicious

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I like the approachable tone of the Ming Tsai book...not to mention that he is VERY sexy, IMHO!

I just picked up this book at Costco about 3 weeks ago, and have yet to try it.

I know what you mean about Ming! But then again I have this thing for Asian guys! :biggrin:

Weds dinner:

another rushed day so very simple:

tortillas filled with

pork tenderloin rubbed with ancho-cumin rub and roasted

black bean re-fried beans (from Mark Bittman though he uses kidney)

baby spinach leaves

pico de gallo

jalapenos

dessert:

chocolate and coconut truffles made by Mia and Julia at their English class

Vegetarian taco salads with a mixture of pintos and kidney beans from the freezer cooked with plenty of seasonings and canned tomatoes, blue and white corn chips, shreds of lettuce/onion/red pepper/cucumber, 5 year aged cheddar, and a big splotch of Herdez salsa. The first of a long series of summer dinner salads

I'm about to go root in the fridge for any leftover pineapple as my dessert. If there isn't any I'll eat some of the Meyer lemon sorbet I found at Trader Joe's the other day.

Linguine with Bolognese sauce. The sauce had beef, bacon, milk, white wine, canned tomatoes and tomato paste among other things. topped with some fresh parsley and shaved Parmesan. A slight variation on St. Mario's ,his does not have any canned tomatoes in it but I wanted it to be a little more tomato-y.

Dessert: Pound Cake with butter Pecan Ice cream.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

FM, St. Mario says he always uses tinned tomatoes when they're out of season. You have not transgressed.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

FM, St. Mario says he always uses tinned tomatoes when they're out of season. You have not transgressed.

Oh no Jin, I was not talking about the tinned tomatoes :smile:. What I meant is that his recipe for Bolognese only uses tomato paste and no whole tomatoes at all (canned or fresh)

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thursday dinner:

salmon collar (kama) with teriyaki glaze (the collar thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=16971& )

pan roasted potatoes tossed with a kojuchang sauce and topped with lots of shiso from the garden

cabbage and wakame sunomono with lots of ginger

tomato slices sprinkled with Maldon sea salt

homemade red wine rakkyo

Japanese rice

10 seared scallops (big ones) on olive and roasted garlic mashed potatoes, with sautéed fiddle heads. i took the juice that came out of the scallops and put it in olive oil, with some balsamic, and put this all over the dish... mmm... quality.

joe

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Oh no Jin, I was not talking about the tinned tomatoes :smile:. What I meant is that his recipe for Bolognese only uses tomato paste and no whole tomatoes at all (canned or fresh)

FM

Really? He did on Mario Eats Italy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM