• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broilers... who uses them?

Crouton

I'm interested in knowing how many of you actually use your broiler? More specifically, who uses their broiler for things other than the occasional need to quickly brown a casserole or make cheese bubbly? Do you actually use your broiler to cook a steak? If I'm cooking a steak inside, habit has me searing it on hot iron and finishing it off the oven. Is there any advantage to using the broiler to cook a steak? What else do you use your broiler for? I'm wondering if I've been missing something all these years.

Yes, there is an advantage to broiling meat. When you pan fry meat or bbq, the meat is in contact with metal and as a result of high heat known carcinogens are formed.

This site will explain it better than I could.

http://www.cancer.go...sk/cooked-meats

IMO, meat broiled in a gas stove tastes better than meat broiled in an electric stove.

I agree totally. We had a gas broiler in the bottom of our gas range and the steaks came out nice and charred and evenly cooked. Miss that baby.

Ditto on roasted peppers. I have a fool-proof method for roasted red peppers that is great because I can do several at a time. I put the top oven rack about 5 inches from the top and then a second rack several inches below that. On the lower rack I put a layer of aluminum foil then put my peppers straight on the upper rack. I rotate them a quarter turn every five minutes (usually doing the 1st side twice since the peppers are cool when they go in). I take the peppers out and put them in a sealed zip-lock bag and put a kitchen towel on top for 20 or 30 minutes. Perfect roasted peppers every time!

I have done poblanos and even jalapenos (the smaller peppers get turned more often of course) that way with perfect results.

Yes, there is an advantage to broiling meat. When you pan fry meat or bbq, the meat is in contact with metal and as a result of high heat known carcinogens are formed.

I'm no scientist but one would assume a broiler is considered "high heat" also...

Not in the same way, because the heat is distributed evenly across the broiled meat, rather than in specific hotspots the way it is on the grill. Properly broiled meats have only a hint of char on them, as compared to visible strips of char on grilled things.

This said, it doesn't stop me from grilling and otherwise charring my meat - I like the flavour. I'm going to die eventually anyway, and the point isn't to come to the finish with a perfectly preserved vintage vehicle. I'll be the one screaming in on what's left of the rims.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Also used for making nachos, brulee-ing the creme, cinnamon toast, and reheating battered fried foods (until the countertop convection oven joined the family).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

reheating battered fried foods (until the countertop convection oven joined the family).

Yes! I use it to reheat spanikopita. Keep flipping those babies until the top and bottom layers of filo are crispy and by then, the interior is warm and succulent. (This is only when one of the aunts gifts me with some homemade ones.)