• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Memorial Day Weekend 2012

heidih

It is Memorial Day weekend in the U.S. - the kick-off for the summer. Walking the dog early this morning I smelled some serious meat smoking going on down the street. I will pull out the Weber but am not sure what I will be making. What are your plans?

We loaded up the car with golf clubs, fly fishing gear, sourdough starter and the cat and drove from Seattle to our cabin in Idaho. Surprise surprise it started snowing and we barely made it over the pass. We've got several inches of snow at the cabin. Our Memorial Weekend meals have started off with lentil soup and crusty sourdough. Hopefully there will be some sun and bbq in the near future.

I got a craving for carne asada (hey, it's a Fusion Grilling Extravaganza in the little kitchen), so I've got some skirt steaks which will go into a marinade tomorrow (probably red wine vinegar [or lime juice], veg oil, garlic and some spices), corn tortillas and those lovely Mexican bulb onions to grill alongside. Some salsa fresca, cilantro and maybe a Margaritao or two (or three.....) and it should be a fine event. Maybe some frijoles with that lard I rendered a few days back....I also have a head of cabbage from the CSA so maybe some cilantro slaw.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Barbecued chicken. Boston baked beans. Slaw. Grilled corn on the cob. Ricotta cheesecake with strawberries. Cold beer.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yeah, it's pretty special. We're on a lake near Yellowstone -- moose country.

Wow! Jealous...that is beautiful. Well for my wife and I, we settled in for a long day of motorsports, "The Greatest Day in Racing". The Monaco Grand Prix formula 1 race started us out this morning (we watched on DVR - too early for us to get up!). For that event, I made King Crab Eggs Benedict with hollandaise (is that redundant?) and mimosas, with some fresh roasted coffee. Moving on through the day, we then watched the Indy 500. For that event, it was burgers done SousVide with Cabot creamery clothbound cheddar, and Finch's "Threadless" IPA to wash that down. Ah.....another great weekend.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Yesterday, I made grilled veal chops with flash pickled mushrooms, grilled sliced potatoes in a foil packet, asparagus with a lemon prosciutto vinaigrette and marinated tomatoes. Today, we are having low and slow baby back ribs; still working on the sides. Beautiful day on Long Island, temps in the upper 80's later today. Enjoy!

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Had to work in the morning so when I got home I started my prep. Marinated bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs two ways. One batch is lemon zest and juice, piloncillo, cracked black pepper, mashed garlic. fish sauce, and just a few tender rosemary and oregano leaves. The other is Korean style with hot pepper paste, grated ginger and the like. It was one of those huge packs and the thighs themselves are enormous. I may end up grilling to get a sear and finishing in the oven. Leftover jap chae will compliment the Korean ones, A lemony Dijon mustard based dressing is going on both a romaine and mint leaf salad and a tomato, roasted corn, cucumber and yogurt one. I have some roasted red pepper that I did yesterday and was thinking something with potato. Keeping it simple. Off to pull the Weber kettle out of the shed.

I forgot about the shrimp. The local Safeway derivative had wild Gulf shrimp so they are getting tossed in a skillet with roasted garlic and its oil, shavings of lemon zest, lots of pepper and a generous squeeze of lemon before serving. So funny how many folks always assume that shrimp as finger food has to be that horrid cocktail ring with floppy crustaceans and cold red sauce.

Despite the intense heat and humidity in NYC, we have been cooking as if it's midwinter - or at best early spring:

- Friday: roast chicken with rice and spinach

- Saturday: beans borrachos with rice and sautéd fiddleheads, followed by red-braised pork

- Sunday: dry-rubbed pork chops with rice and spinach, also started making salt pork

- Monday: making chicken stock for stracciatelle

Alas, on the 11th floor, even with an outdoor space, we cannot grill :(