• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut chocolate chips for truffle coating

Vince Sun

Hi I'm a beginner in making chocolate truffles. What I have here are some Callebaut semi-sweet chocolate chips (repacked by my local bakery supply store in 1lb pack). I was planning to temper them and coat the truffles I make, but later I saw online that some chocolate chips contain additives to hold their shapes at a higher temperature, which will cause troubles in the tempering process.

Does anyone know if the Callebaut chips are pure chocolate or those compounded baking chocolate? Could anyone recommand some brands of chocolate which are good for coating?

The callebaut chips I have here contain 52.9% cocoa, not sure about the cocoa butter content though.

Thanks!!!!

Callebaut packages their chocolates with a chart showing which types are appropriate for certain applications. The chart has little drops on it.

The fineness of the conching as well as the split are what's important. Generally, couveture has more cocoa butter and less cocoa mass, and, is conched for a longer period of time for greater smoothness.

Callebaut chips are definitely a step up from grocery store brands, but will produce a coarser coating than the Callets or their other couvetures.