• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake 'N Bake and other prepared coating mixes

FeChef

On 9/24/2023 at 9:53 PM, IndyRob said:

You've just posted pictures of two different types of Walmart panko crumbs. 

I don't see how that has anything to do with so called shake n' bake products.

The one on the left in the picture is Walmart's version of Shake & Bake and the one on the right is their panko.  That's EXACTLY what @FeChefwas showing.  

As far as it goes, I actually like Shake & Bake - the original and all the knock-offs that I've tried including a brand sold by Aldi.  I didn't grow up with it and neither did Mr. Kim, but I remember years ago @Marlene confessed that she liked it and used it often.  I respected her taste so much that I gave it a try and found we quite liked it.  My only complaint is that I wish it got crispier.  

46 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

The one on the left in the picture is Walmart's version of Shake & Bake and the one on the right is their panko.  That's EXACTLY what @FeChefwas showing.  

As far as it goes, I actually like Shake & Bake - the original and all the knock-offs that I've tried including a brand sold by Aldi.  I didn't grow up with it and neither did Mr. Kim, but I remember years ago @Marlene confessed that she liked it and used it often.  I respected her taste so much that I gave it a try and found we quite liked it.  My only complaint is that I wish it got crispier.  

I always bake it on a rack and I find that helps to make it crispier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1