• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pi (Pie) Day March 14

Next Wednesday, March 14, is Pi () day but also popularly celebrated as PIE day with innovative pie recipes from around the world.

From APC

Huffpost Living

The Wiki entry here.

and for non-foodies - this one.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Sounds fun. I hope a whole bunch of people get on board and post their creations here. I think I'll try to sneak something in. The week of the big hockey tournament starts tomorrow so it's going to be long and crazy busy hours at work but maybe I can find some time to play along.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In our house we already celebrate national ice cream day and national lollipop day...we'll add national pi/pie day this year. I have to think about it.

Wonder if empanadas would qualify. They are little pies, after all.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am still considering what pie (or pies) I am going to prepare but am leaning heavily toward dusting off an old family favorite that I haven't made for years. It is not exactly a low-calorie item, but has an interesting flavor.

I do have to reduce the recipe because the old one makes 2 huge pies, baked in rectangular cake pans (12x18") and quite deep. (The first line of the recipe is "Peel and core a peck of apples" -a peck is 10 to 12 pounds. The next line is "seed" 2 pounds of white raisins!)

I have a bag of mixed apples from a friend who has been experimenting with new (to him) varieties and these are not yet sold commercially in this area. One is Sierra Beauty, another is Melrose and I didn't record the name of the other but it is a cooking/dessert apple.

The recipe is apple raisin with a sour cream topping - originally a "clabber cream" topping - sort of like clotted cream, but sour cream works just fine.

There is also bourbon in the pie.

For the savory pie, I'm considering this Sausage Pie recipe that was recommended by a friend who emailed the link to me.

She said it is also very good cold, which is not always the case with meat pies.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I do have to reduce the recipe because the old one makes 2 huge pies, baked in rectangular cake pans (12x18") and quite deep. (The first line of the recipe is "Peel and core a peck of apples" -a peck is 10 to 12 pounds. The next line is "seed" 2 pounds of white raisins!)

The recipe is apple raisin with a sour cream topping - originally a "clabber cream" topping - sort of like clotted cream, but sour cream works just fine.

There is also bourbon in the pie.

You could make the big ones and invite folks -- like me! Sounds really delicious and unusual. Would love to see the recipe.

Good for all of you. I did not get a pie made. Sister-in-law and husband are coming today for a few days. It's his birthday so I made him a Double Mousse Chocolate bombe instead of making a pie. It has five kinds of chocolate in it, along with whipping cream and home-made Chambord (which a dear friend said tastes like cough medicine. :raz: Rats. Well, I think it's fine.)

I'll make a pie when they leave and we'll celebrate out of sync.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here it is :biggrin:

I love blueberries. :wub: It looks delicious, Shelby! Thanks for posting it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
It has five kinds of chocolate in it, along with whipping cream and home-made Chambord (which a dear friend said tastes like cough medicine. :raz: Rats. Well, I think it's fine.)

Yes, but store bought Chambord tastes like cough medicine, too, so you did just fine! :rolleyes:

Seriously, sounds fabulous!

It has five kinds of chocolate in it, along with whipping cream and home-made Chambord (which a dear friend said tastes like cough medicine. :raz: Rats. Well, I think it's fine.)

Yes, but store bought Chambord tastes like cough medicine, too, so you did just fine! :rolleyes:

Seriously, sounds fabulous!

:laugh: :laugh: Just did a taste test. In the interests of science only, of course. My homemade liqueur has a slightly sharper taste than the store-bought, but I like them both. And mine was much cheaper. We live in Canada where the price of liquor is matched by the price of gasoline and cigarettes.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.