• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual Citrus as an Ingredient

Yojimbo

Having grown calamondins and a few other citrus trees with various degrees of success over the years, I'm curious to hear if anyone's using calamondin, or its juice (called kalamansi in some parts of the world), kumquats, yuzu or other unusual citrus varieties as actual ingredients in drinks, rather than just as a fancy garnish, i.e. sticking a kaffir lime leaf into your Thai-Green-Curry-Colada-thingie?

Citrus is never out of season in cocktails, but in winter it becomes more of a necessity when most other fruits aren't fresh.

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

I've had good luck with playing with kumquats. They have great acidity and you can easily muddle the whole thing to get good oil from the peel. Try this:

Old Sao Paolo

by Dan Chadwick

2 oz Cachaça

1/2 oz Elisir M. P. Roux (or Green Chartreuse)

1/2 Lime (muddled)

2 Kumquat (muddled)

1/2 t Simple syrup (if needed)

4 ds Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters, Fee Brothers

1 Orange peel (as garnish)

Muddle kumquats (or other flavorful orange, skin on) and lime. Add other ingredients except simple syrup. Taste and add simple syrup as needed if kumquats are very sour. Double strain, rocks, lowball glass. Orange zest garnish.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Just picked up some kaffir limes (the fruit, not the leaves) at Whole Foods a few days ago. No idea what I was going to do with them, but I can't resist something new. Would love some ideas. I have zested a few and thrown it in the freezer for later use.

Just picked up some kaffir limes (the fruit, not the leaves) at Whole Foods a few days ago. No idea what I was going to do with them, but I can't resist something new. Would love some ideas. I have zested a few and thrown it in the freezer for later use.

I wonder how they would take to being candied, salted, or pickled.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I very much prefer calamansi in my gin & tonics. I wouldn't call it a "fancy garnish" though as I put in enough to completely change the flavor profile of the drink.

And my son uses them to enliven mojitos. He also puts them in mimosas.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.