• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Fortune Cookies

Jaymes

I dunno. Lots of folks make these. Fill them with cute little personalized "fortunes."

Today is son-in-law's birthday and his favorite dinner is Asian style scallops so that's what we're making. Thought it would be fun for dessert to have fortune cookies with cute little phrases from the kiddos inside.

I've never tried to make these, but know that lots of folks do. So how hard could it be, I decide.

Turns out it might not be "hard," but it sure is tricky. Wasn't helpful that I didn't start this endeavor until about 3pm yesterday, so had no time to experiment before the family got home. Decided to ask for help and try again today so we can have them for tonight's birthday dinner.

I used Paula Deen's recipe yesterday (here). The batter tasted great, but I couldn't get those little suckers to bake evenly. For one thing, I had a hard time spreading the batter out evenly to make a 4" circle. And then they just burned around the outside edges. Admittedly, our oven isn't much good for delicate baking, but it occurs to me that other people must have less-than-perfect ovens and manage to make these pretty little things.

I do note that Paula's recipe adds no additional oil, and no cornstarch or other binder.

So I'm asking...

Any of you make fortune cookies? Any tips, hints, recipes, methods to try?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I made them not too long ago. The chef I work for will throw random stuff at me, and I have to figure out what to do if we don't have a recipe. I used one I found online and all I can say is you have to be quick at folding. They cool really fast.

And, if the cookies get any color, they are baked too long and will not fold. I thought they would look better with a little color, but they didn't work that way for me.

I think the recipe I used had oil. It was pretty thin, and we just used a #100 scoop and baked them on a silpat. They spread enough on their own.

This recipe could be the one.

Edited by heidih
Fix link (log)

I made them not too long ago. The chef I work for will throw random stuff at me, and I have to figure out what to do if we don't have a recipe. I used one I found online and all I can say is you have to be quick at folding. They cool really fast.

And, if the cookies get any color, they are baked too long and will not fold. I thought they would look better with a little color, but they didn't work that way for me.

I think the recipe I used had oil. It was pretty thin, and we just used a #100 scoop and baked them on a silpat. They spread enough on their own.

This recipe could be the one.

Want to thank you. I've spent the last couple of hours turning out perfect cookies with little "fortunes" that say things like "Happy Birthday Daddy" and "You're the best daddy ever" and "Thank you for taking me to the park" and "I love you, Daddy."

Honestly, RWood, not at all sure I could have done it without your link and tips.

So thanks for taking the time to post them.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Made the fortune cookies. They looked great, and the flavor was great. The little "fortunes" were a hit.

But the cookies never got fully hardened or crisp. They had a chewy texture, even the three that were left over until this morning. They tasted so good that we ate them, but that chewy texture was a little off-putting.

I'm wondering what we did wrong. Why didn't they harden?

Anyone know?

I dunno. Lots of folks make these. Fill them with cute little personalized "fortunes."

Any of you make fortune cookies? Any tips, hints, recipes, methods to try?

Made them once many years ago from a recipe in either Women's Day or Family Circle. They were not baked in the oven, but formed like little crepes on the stovetop.

The edge had to go lightly brown or they would't crisp. They were good!

The fortunes are added when the shaping is done.

However, the idea of a bit more baking AFTER shaping might be worth exploring; it might crisp the cookies.

It is possible to slip the fortunes in after they're shaped, though; I've done it.

Actually, after the second batch didn't work out, I considered sitting down with some fortune cookies from the market and tweezers.

But after perusing this site: Making Fortune Cookies, they look so adorable that I think we're gonna keep trying.