• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Respek for Breyer's ice cream

Fat Guy

My older, bigger, heavier (about 100 lbs heavier) machine has moved in with tri2cook in Sioux Lookout.

And it's earned it's keep... :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I don't buy much ice cream. I do make some but occasionally buy a small container.

I had a Simac for many years, when it would no longer hold the coolant, I got one of the smaller Lello machines and since have bought another. (I just can't resist these things :blink:)

Breyer's is okay, Ben & Jerry's is better. 31 flavors (Basking Robbins is the best. In my opinion.

Recently I purchased a container of Blue Bunny ice cream at Walmart and it was pretty good.

I still miss the terrific ice cream (inexpensive) sold at Thrifty Drug Stores - it was originally made by Carnation, when they still operated the huge plant in Van Nuys, CA., later made by another dairy company.

The eggnog ice cream (seasonal) was a seriously decadent flavor that tasted like it had liquor in it but didn't. If anyone has the recipe, I want it! :wub:

In the '60s, when I lived in Burbank, our house was ten minutes from the Baskin Robbins plant.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Anyone remember Alderny Ice Cream? A great ice cream. I spent a summer at the Sip and Sup Drive-In hand dipping it eight hours a day, six days a week at $1.25 an hour. It was there that I learned one truly can get too much of a good thing.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The best ice cream from the market is Hagan Daz Just 5. Trader Joe's has the caramel and strawberry Just 5 for 1.99.

Though a pint of Haagan dazs isn't actually a pint any more--it's only 14 oz. So they reduced the amount of dairy that way instead.

There used to be a Breyer's plant in Framingham, but it was closed by Unilever a few years ago. I don't think Unilever has done much good for the quality of B&J's either. Locally, there's a number of good ice cream shops and I have a machine, so I don't rely on the supermarket.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I make a lot of ice cream at home, but I Breyer's French Vanilla is my standard all-purpose ice cream for pies and such. It's pretty darn good. I have not tried any other flavors...well my kids like the Neapolitan since it gives them the "red, strawberry and vanilla" varieties in one tub.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I still miss the terrific ice cream (inexpensive) sold at Thrifty Drug Stores - it was originally made by Carnation, when they still operated the huge plant in Van Nuys, CA., later made by another dairy company.

The eggnog ice cream (seasonal) was a seriously decadent flavor that tasted like it had liquor in it but didn't. If anyone has the recipe, I want it! :wub:

Locally, all of the Thrifty Drg Stores were bought out by Rite Aid. They still sell Thrifty's brand ice cream in their freezer section.

There's a Carnation plant just outside of town. I believe Nestlé owns Carnation now but still sells under the Carnation brand. I wonder if Carnation is making the Thrifty ice cream sold here in town.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver