• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blanching and Shocking - Do You or Don't You

weinoo

Much conventional wisdom calls for the blanching and shocking of a variety of vegetables (especially greens) before moving onto the next step. Supposedly sets the color and reduces the bitterness of "bitter greens."

But, I often skip this step and find that I don't have a problem with the color of the finished product, nor the bitterness for that matter; as a matter of fact, I find the bitterness adds a bit to the flavor of the vegetable I'm cooking.

For instance, broccoli rabe (rapini). I happened to just sauté a beautiful bunch of it for lunch, without blanching. It's tender, tasty and yes, slightly bitter. And very green. So it's certainly no worse off for my foregoing that step...

IMG_1507_1.JPG

So that's my question: do you or don't you use the blanch and shock method? Are there any vegetables which you feel must have this step?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If I'm preparing food for people, I do it just to be safe about the color thing; not sure how much of an effect it has.

Except with asparagus. I almost always do it with asparagus, as I notice a huge difference in how it retains its color for roasting, sauteeing, etc. As for the bitterness, I don't really ever notice that much of a difference, but I don't know that I've ever paid enough attention to notice it.

I do usually blanch and shock kale and broccoli rabe. Actually this is often to facilitate their textural change, speeding up the process of getting them to that thoroughly wilted and yielding stage. I'll often just blanch the broccoli rabe in the water I'm boiling for pasta (before the pasta has gone in it of course)...

Usually no, though it can make sense with very bitter vegetables like bittermelon (it seems the Chinese always blanch it, but Filipinos tend not to, at least not the ones I know). I think of this as a technique that makes sense in restaurants that have to prepare a green vegetable in quantity--blanched, shocked, held, and finished just before service--and still make it seem like it was cooked à la minute. At home one can just make it à la minute.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

Yes for green beans, if they need to be cooked ahead of time or are going to be served at room temperature. It keeps the color bright and helps prevent overcooking.

I do. Mostly because I blanch vegetables well ahead of the time I plan to serve them. A quick re heat in butter or whatever and I'm good to go.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I do. Mostly because I blanch vegetables well ahead of the time I plan to serve them. A quick re heat in butter or whatever and I'm good to go.

Yes. Instead of trying to bring four things home at once when the entree is served, you only have to have three hands.

A lot of times I blanch green beans and, as they're draining, I sweat shallots and garlic in olive oil. Toss the beans into the pan to stop the heat and -- when the time comes -- all you need to do is warm everything up, maybe toss them with a little parsley and sea salt. It ain't ain't Escoffier but one day my then-twelve-year-old looked up from his plate and said "Dad, best green beans ever."

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Yes for green beans, if they need to be cooked ahead of time or are going to be served at room temperature. It keeps the color bright and helps prevent overcooking.

Yes, green beans are the only vegetable I do this with. They can get that olive color and chewy smushy texture- so the shocking stops them where they are just right plus preserving color. I love bitter so that is not factor with greens.

I actually served that rabe at room temperature, which is how it (as well as other greens) is often served in Italy.

That takes care of both the blanching and the reheating steps.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ditto for green beans, for both these reasons. Sometimes asparagus and broccoli, too. But I'm fond of both of these just sauteed over high heat.