• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Typos on Restaurant Menus

Kerry Beal

We were at the CFRA food show in Toronto yesterday and there was this great display of award winning plated meals - they appeared to be glass or lacquered - but each was accompanied by the 'menu' description of the meal.

A huge source of amusement for us was this particular description -

DSCN2666.jpg

Wonder how much truth there was to it?

Anyway - seen any good typo's lately?

Out, damned chop! out, I say!

William Shakespearib

Toronto, 2011

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Yes: "typo's"

Or was that intentional? or the Canadian spelling? :wink:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We have a local "fine dining" place that repeatedly spells Cioppino as Cippino on their Facebook updates.

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

One of my all time pet peeves is to spell Scotch WHISKY as WHISKEY. There is NO "e" in Scotch whisky.

Single Malt Scotch Whiskey is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!!!!! And it's absolutely amazing how many really nice restaurants spell it wrong.

Any time I see "served with au jus" I cringe...how do you make "with" juice? Is there a "with" plant or animal available for juicing? Maybe it's just me...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Any time I see "served with au jus" I cringe...

Incorrectly used food terms are a whole other issue (which has been discussed before). Typos on menus are like typos on the internet--annoying but inevitable.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Those are hysterical! I've seen "Lucky Family Human Beef".

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Then there's the subset of chalkboard menus with certain letters rubbed out. "Grass-fed Red An us Steak".

ETA this was at a motel with "Nightly Rat s and Heated Poo ".

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Not quite a typo but at a small hotel in Millau, France, they had a menu in the lifts translated from French into English, obviously using a dictionary.

There were many howlers but my favourite, a dish of gesiers de canard was described as hearts, livers and duck's muffs.

Must be a regional speciality.