• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World's Simplest Recipes

BadRabbit

Take Peach. Slice. Add raspberries. Eat peach and raspberries.

Alfredo: pasta, cream, cheese, butter.

I'm a little surprised that posting those two options so close to each other didn't cause some sort of matter/anti-matter annihilation. :biggrin:

Two slices of Deli Bologna

Heat on a flat griddle

Place Bologna on slice of bread; add condiments as desired; top off with another slice of bread and enjoy -

Not gourmet, but it fills the belly

Really, sandwiches are a perfect simple dish: good fresh bread and fillings. Personal favorites include:

-avocado and sardine (s&p, evoo)

-avocado, arugula, good tomatoes, good cheese

-roasted eggplant, pesto (to be simple i guess you'd have to buy that one), goat cheese

-pb and banana, or pb and apple , or pb and *insert yummy fruit*

-good old fashioned pb&j

-grilled cheese, butter to fry, served w/ tomato soup is customary-ish

Books have been written on the subject, and I am no author, but you could do way worse than a good and simple sandwich :smile:

Has anyone mentioned fried egg spaghetti yet? I think I got it from Bittman; it's unbelievable. If you haven't tried it, I advise you do...

Cook some spaghetti and when it's coming close to al dente, lightly heat a few tbsp of your best olive oil and a crushed clove of garlic in a frying pan. turn off the heat, discard the garlic and crack a couple of fresh eggs into the pan. Watch them slowly solidify, then throw the drained spaghetti into the pain and break up the eggs into the pasta.

Cover with a good deal of pepper and as much parmesan as you can fit on your plate.

So easy, so good.

come look at me.

My link

Come to think of it...Corned beef and cabbage is about as simple as you can get. I'm making it right now. Got a little bit un-simple with two kinds of Soda Bread and a Strawberry Flummery...but still.

And then there is steamed fish but that does involve more utensils like a steamer and a pot, plus a plate, which does complicate things a bit.

Fresh chevre, a head of garlic roasted till it's gooey and caramelised, and a crusty baguette. Schmear torn chunks bread with cheese, squeeze garlic cloves out on top, repeat. Heaven.

Cold silken tofu dressed with a smear of wasabi or yuzu koshou and some soy sauce.

Yum and yum - feel like I found a kindred spirit!