• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Celebration of the Toast Tight

Fat Guy

Is it possible we have gone nearly a decade without a celebration of the toast tight?

My mother has an ancient device that creates a sealed hot-pocket type sandwich. It's great for grilled cheese or just about anything (pictured below, a dessert sandwich filled with apples).

I've seen modern, electric versions of this but they're not nearly as cool.

It seals the edges so it's not the same as a panini maker.

Everything tastes better in the toast-tight device. Does anybody else know and love these things?

P1010280.JPG

P1010279.JPG

P1010276.JPG

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You put the bread in, squeeze it shut, then run a knife around the edge to trim corners. You just have to make sure any filling, like cheese, is only sitting on a circular area so it doesn't leak out the edges.

I wanted to illustrate the process but my mother made the sandwiches for my son with no warning and I didn't walk in on them until he was up to dessert.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Everything tastes better in the toast-tight device. Does anybody else know and love these things?

P1010280.JPG

P1010279.JPG

P1010276.JPG

well, i'm not a betting man (or even a man at all, actually) but my money is on andiesenji knowing, loving and owning one, or perhaps an assortment. that woman's collection is awe-inspiring! i await her report.

also, WANT!

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I had the electric one as a kid and loved making peach pie with buttered white bread and canned peaches.

At good camping/outdoor stores you can get a Pie Iron it is square but the same idea with a very long handle to hole over a campfire, like this

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45792?pi=795069&subrnd=0&qs=3021028_pmd_pricegrabber

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Ohhhhh, saucer sandwiches. We had a few of these (2 or maybe 4, I can't remember) when I was a kid. It was always a production to have saucer sandwiches for supper (8 kids + 2 parents = unholy grilled sandwich staging nightmare), but they were so, so good. Ham, cheddar, a little yellow mustard - and a scalded palate and tongue each and every time from molten mustard and cheese.

Years ago, my mom gave the sandwich makers to one of my sisters. She picked the wrong daughter to preserve such a treasure - they were misplaced, or discarded, or left behind, not long thereafter. I still miss them...

Patty

Oh, yes indeedy, my mama still has a ToastTite, with a blue wooden handle. I'll have to call her & make sure she didn't stick it in the Goodwill bin already! I liked pimento cheese filling, or sharp cheddar spread w/whole-grain mustard & sliced dill pickles. Or a thin slice of hogshead cheese tucked between white bread--the headcheese goes all melty.

well, i'm not a betting man (or even a man at all, actually) but my money is on andiesenji knowing, loving and owning one, or perhaps an assortment. that woman's collection is awe-inspiring! i await her report.

also, WANT!

Gee, you folks know me waaaay too well.

I do indeed have a couple, one similar to Fat Guy's

and this one:

HPIM3786.JPG

HPIM3783.JPG

HPIM3784.JPG

HPIM3785.JPG

This one has been gently used but also carefully cleaned because I learned the hard way that if not completely cleaned, the sandwiches got ugly burnt marks, not at all attractive, where the ribs of the shells are located.

This one also doubles as a pie iron.

Also, I bookmarked this a couple of years ago when we had another discussion that had a mention of it.

And do check the recipes and the Pie Iron blog.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ah, nostalgia! My parents used to have one of these and it got good use when I was a kid. Whole-egg 'pies' were really good, and really painful when the hot yolk dribbled down my lip! Probably tomato was the favourite, though. The general technique included buttering one side of each slice of bread and putting the filling on the unbuttered side - probably to help prevent sticking.

I have no idea what happened to the thing, and neither has Mum - I cleaned out her kitchen a few weeks ago and it certainly wasn't there. Probably just as well - I might have trouble using it on the new induction hob.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

In Australia, these things are called Jaffles, don't ask me why. I used to love them as a kid. Cheese, ketchup and hot dogs was my standard recipe.

Yes, they are readily available from this vendor

along with some very nice and reasonably priced pie irons and sandwich cookers.

I do have a "cookbook" for these devices and it is available from this eBay vendor as well as an excellent foil cookery cookbook.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have never seen these before but now I MUST have one!

Andie, your press with the shell imprint looks like the mold for the French classic croque monsieur. Is that correct? I've always wondered how they were made.

I see from the pictures that some contemporary presses are non-stick/teflon, while the older presses are either aluminum or other metal--cast iron, maybe? Can anyone comment on the difference between the quality of the finished sandwich with these different materials?

This is bringing me back to my youth, my mom used the square one and she used to call it "the contraption", I am calling her tonight to make sure she doesn't throw it away!

My mom use to make hamburger in these: meat, onion, mustard, relish and bread.

Edited by Foodietopo (log)

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

I have never seen these before but now I MUST have one!

Andie, your press with the shell imprint looks like the mold for the French classic croque monsieur. Is that correct? I've always wondered how they were made.

I see from the pictures that some contemporary presses are non-stick/teflon, while the older presses are either aluminum or other metal--cast iron, maybe? Can anyone comment on the difference between the quality of the finished sandwich with these different materials?

The French iron is for croque monsieur but also for other sealed sandwiches.

I have one of the non-stick ones (square) which I use most of the time. I have an older one that is plain but has developed a seasoned patina from long use and it too is nearly non-stick but it has to be very carefully cleaned to keep from removing the seasoning so is mostly a decorative item now.