• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Kosher Salt Throwdown!

MarkIsCooking

When I became serious about cooking, and joined the Kosher salt club, Morton's was all that was available, so that was what I used for years and years (and years). About 2 years ago, one of the local MegaMarts (Stater Bros. to be exact) started carrying Diamond, and since I knew Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen preferred it, I switched to that.

I flat out LOVED it. It didn't seem as dense to me, as others have mentioned, and for sprinkling on the top of baked goods (focaccias, etc.) it seemed to hold up more and not sublime into the dough.

Then. Stater Bros. stopped carrying it. Now, they, and all the other chains, only have Morton's. I'm bummed. If I'd known it was going away, I'd have stocked up. Diamond, is, IMHO, far superior. But I'll use Morton's if that's all that's around, which it is.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Because finer particles are absorbed more readily.

I'm skeptical - as salt (in any form) tends to dissolve upon being introduced to moisture.

Well, yes, and all salt will dissolve in enough moisture given enough time. But that's not the point I'm making. Smaller crystals dissolve more rapidly than larger ones, and there are situations in which that's beneficial.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Gordon's Good Service (GFS) carries Diamond Crystal, if you are lucky enough to live in a place that they serve. Diamond Crystal has become very hard to source here in Cleveland also - hard to understand why it's become so scarce, since it is manufactured by that tiny company called Cargill.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

If you use your kosher salt in cooking where the final form is dissolved or heavily incorporated, it makes no difference because its all sodium chloride. What makes Diamond different than Morton's or another Kosher salt is the crystal structure and/sor flake size. That difference in structure acts differently on your tongue if still in crystal form and its what pleases you that you use for finishing.

We have both along with some Fluer del Sel and Baliene salts. I much prefer the Morton's for finishing and the course Baleine salt for whole birds and roasts because it tends to preserve its large crystals during cooking.

If you really want to get anal about salts, there is a book out titled 'Salted' that lists just about every salt known to man. Caveat is that the author makes things up and makes ludicrous pronouncements and has no scientific background that I can determine. Pick up a copy at your local library if they were as foolish as mine and purchased a copy.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

Dick, can you weigh out a tablespoon of each of Diamon and Morton's for us?

Another interesting book on salt is Mark Kurlansky's Salt.

As I remember, Cook's Illustrated did that when they decided they liked Diamond better, and there was a pretty significant difference. Not as large of a difference as between kosher and table salt, but still noticeable. Diamond was lighter.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

My digital scale while calibrated has a 5kg capacity and as such is not as accurate for these measurements. There is only one figure of accuracy so 4gms can be anything up to 4.4 gms and 6gms can be up to 6.4gms.

A level teaspoon measure yields as follows:

Morton Kosher Salt 6gms

Diamond Kosher Salt 4gms

It should be noted that the Diamond salt crystals are noticeably larger than the Morton salt crystals and that may explain those who say that professional chefs prefer Diamond. But I also have Course Bailene salt which has even bigger crystals and as I said its the crystal size that leads to that burst of flavor. I use very little salt while cooking and cook with unsalted butter so everything I make must be salted by the person eating. Diamond is courser and Morton finer and that may explain why i and the others I cook for like Morton, its not as gritty for finishing.

As a side note I also have a wet salt that we use at table side with a wet salt grinder and when its works its great but its a bear to keep functional.

I believe the difference in crystal structure is a direct result of the different methods for refining the salt.-Dick

Never use kosher, Morton canning and pickling salt Is pure, very fine salt, only taste is salt because thats all it has in it..Use it for everything(including canning, pickling, and, charcuterie.

Bud

for cooking I use Diamond. I've read of several chefs that use it (after I guess the sea salt craze had somewhat ebbed off) and found that I liked it. I also can find the big box of it relatively easy and now I'm just used to it. The one time I tried Morton instead - DC was sold out - it just didn't feel right, though I really could not explain that any better.

I also like the red box better, the little girl in the morton rain is cute, but I really don't like rain. Well, I don't really like diamonds either and generally prefer blue over red.

As you can see, for me it's just a matter of what I'm used to with some self explaining or self justification for brand loyalty thrown in :laugh:

I do like Diamond as finishing salt also though, it has a nice crunch and doesn't seem to dissolve too quickly. Works in a pinch I guess :cool:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 2 years later...

How does "Kosher" salt differ from table salt?

Kosher salt is courser because it's used to 'kasher' meat -- draw the blood out of raw meat. Courser, larger crystals work better.

I use Diamond or David's.

I only buy David's Kosher.

Diamond Crystal is a product of the famous fanatical factory farming fecundity, Cargill. Inc. :shock:

I don't buy their products.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I had never seen or heard of David's. What I use is Diamond Kosher for everything, except -- like last night with hummus -- when I want a larger crystal, I use Malha Heeya, a red rock salt from Morocco. Although I suppose Malha Heeya gets away from the realm of Kosher.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I use Morton's kosher salt exclusively for cooking... With Diamond Crystal, I assume this is attributed to the smaller flakes, but I have to keep adding and adding and adding to get my food seasoned. So for me it's Morton's for cooking... but as a finishing salt, I prefer Diamond Crystal.

No, Diamond Crystal has LARGER crystals, ergo, less salt per measure. That's why you have to add more salt. Many chefs and cooks like that aspect of Diamond Crystal because it's easier for them to be precise with their salt additions.

... Shel

Diamond Crystal is a product of the famous fanatical factory farming fecundity, Cargill. Inc. :shock:

Does David's have any additives? How much sodium per 1/4 tsp? The Cargill thing has bothered me, so if David's is additive free and has a similar sodium content, I may switch.

ETA: I searched and discovered that David's salt has 590mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp. and that's somewhat more than twice the amount of Diamond Crystal (280mg) and more than Morton's table salt.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Mortons. I have used DC and didn't care for it. It was long enough ago that I don't remember why I didn't care for it. For baking and at the table good ol' Mortons iodized table salt. Everything else Mortons Kosher. I use parmesan shakers for my kosher salt shakers.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Does David's have any additives? How much sodium per 1/4 tsp? The Cargill thing has bothered me, so if David's is additive free and has a similar sodium content, I may switch.

ETA: I searched and discovered that David's salt has 590mg of sodium per 1/4 tsp. and that's somewhat more than twice the amount of Diamond Crystal (280mg) and more than Morton's table salt.

David's is a real Koshering salt so there are no additives and it is more dense than Diamond Crystal.

Ounce for ounce their sodium content should be about the same.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!