• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

Backstrap:

Deer processing 023.jpg

Deer processing 024.jpg

Again, get all of that silver stuff off

Deer processing 025.jpg

Quite frequently part of the backstrap is damaged from the shot. Cut anything off that looks like this:

Deer processing 026.jpg

Deer processing 027.jpg

The first deer I ever shot actually had the broadhead from an arrow stuck in his leg. :sad: I'm not a bow hunting fan and I'll leave it at that.

Deer processing 031.jpg

Deer processing 057.jpg

The round roasts are the most fun to cut. They come from the hind quarters of the deer.

BTW, please ask any questions that pop into your head. I'm not the greatest at explaining things at times :blink:

Deer processing 035.jpg

After you do this a few times, it becomes very easy to pick out the different cuts.

Deer processing 038.jpg

The strip down the middle is the eye of round. The piece on the left is a roast--forgive me, that's what I call it. :biggrin: The piece on the right is what I call a "football ham".

You could also leave this all together to make one big roast.

Deer processing 039.jpg

Deer processing 040.jpg

Deer processing 042.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)

Deer processing 044.jpg

So, you have a big bowl of butterfly steaks and roasts after your all said and done.

With the front quarters, we saw off the leg from the "knee" down and have bone in roasts.

I can't locate my pictures of that..but you get my drift.

More pics of venison backstrap and venison tenderloin:

Deer processing 070.jpg

Deer processing 072.jpg

Deer processing 062.jpg

Deer processing 064.jpg

Now, there are numerous parts such as the neck and the leg beneath the knee that we deem as too tough to do anything with except for hamburger.

Deer processing 007.jpg

Here they are!! Here's the bone in roast.

Deer processing 003.jpg

Deer processing 002.jpg

Burger bucket:

Deer processing 001.jpg

Scrap: The scrap is all of the tendony, shot up etc. parts that no one will eat.

Except for the cats.

Please say hello to Newman (as in the Friends Newman, not Paul)

Deer processing 053.jpg

Shelby, do you ever brine the venison roasts?

I began using brine, instead of marinade quite a few years ago as it didn't change the texture of the meat as much but did make it more tender and lessened the gamy flavor.

I used the formula described here.

I also have used it on elk, especially the neck and back strap, which tend to be pretty tough.

The elk I have worked with were not near as gamy as venison - I think it is because they feed mostly on grass.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Shelby, do you ever brine the venison roasts?

I began using brine, instead of marinade quite a few years ago as it didn't change the texture of the meat as much but did make it more tender and lessened the gamy flavor.

I used the formula described here.

I also have used it on elk, especially the neck and back strap, which tend to be pretty tough.

The elk I have worked with were not near as gamy as venison - I think it is because they feed mostly on grass.

Yes, we brine a lot of them. I'm looking forward to reading your link, though, for more ideas. We do Morton's Quick and Tender.

I LOVE elk meat...even more than venison. It's so mild.

After all of that, we package it all up.

One must drink this while packaging. Don't judge..it's the house wine. :laugh:

Deer processing 073.jpg

I always wrap each piece in film and then package.

We've tried many different methods, including vacuum packing, but this way seems to keep the meat better. It's just too moist to get a good seal with the food saver. Please excuse the two cat feet on the left side. I had on-lookers. :rolleyes:

Deer processing 074.jpg

Deer processing 079.jpg

The prep of the tape is something I always do. Makes it easier to package without stopping. I always use three strips...my husband uses two. I am an extravagant tape user.

Deer processing 077.jpg

Deer processing 080.jpg

Deer processing 086.jpg

Deer processing 087.jpg

Deer processing 088.jpg

Deer processing 092.jpg

I love your stories! Your home is beautiful. My dad is an avid waterfowl hunter, so much of this feels very familiar. And, of course, I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I thought I'd share I was never able to get a pie crust right, til I tried RLB's flaky pie crust. It's kind of involved with cutting and freezing the butter, but it was the first time I got the sense of what the texture was supposed to be like. Just thought I'd share :smile:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Basic-Flaky-Pie-Crust-101858

Wow, quite a production.

Have you considered vacuum packaging?

I can't tell the size of your cutting board.

I have one of these 24 x 48 which gives me lots of room and I don't have to scrub and disinfect my butcher block counter.

I put a thick towel under it to catch any drips and to keep it from sliding.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Shelby, you are doing an amazing job. I check your thread first thing in the morning even before my caffeine :rolleyes:

On the pie crust, Cooks Country has an easy pat-in-the-pan pie dough that is wonderful. It's flaky and has incredible flavor. It has butter and a little cream cheese. It's easy-peasy.

Here is the recipe. You do have to register for the site, but it's free.

http://www.cookscountrytv.com/recipes/login.asp?docid=7706

Blog on! :biggrin:

Rhonda

somewhere else on cook's country they have moved to replacing some of the water in the dough with vodka that seems to provide some flakiness without the breaking.

as far as the fried mush ... make some toast dope with the dried maple syrup instead of the demerara sugar.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Re: The smoked venison. Can I come live with you?

Sure! On one condition....we can live in Hot Springs during race season :biggrin:

They start a week from Friday! You have to let me know when you're coming down!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com