• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

Shelby, I'm really loving this peek into a world that is so very unlike my own. The game is just amazing! The only game I have access to is in small plastic wrapped packages at the store. Thanks for sharing so much of your daily life with us!

also, on a non-food related note, I love the red walls of your living room. I've always wanted red walls but i think I'll never be brave enough to have them (or, brave enough to convince my husband I want them :smile: )

Couple of comments:

I noticed in one of your pictures that you use powdered buttermilk. I use it too as the liquid stuff isn't available where I live. I actually like it as a flavor and I think it works great. But the powder in my can always turns hard. And makes hard balls that are impossible to sift. Does yours do that? Have any solutions?

I am also still in awe of the price of that brisket! I miss America! Was that a sale or the normal price????

That recipe for the pheasant in the slow cooker looked amazing. How long does it cook in there? I don't have a slow cooker actually, but would still like to try that dish!! And looking forward to the goose and noodles!

All in all, I am enjoying your blog immensely. When I lived in the US, I lived in big cities. It has been a real treat reading about how you live and eat! You've created more than a blog, but a snapshot of your life and it's really a pleasure reading it.

Hi Ambra, thank you for reading and for your wonderful comments!

I discovered the powdered buttermilk not too long ago, so, my can is just opened. I wonder if we should dump the powder out into a ziplock bag and store it in the fridge? Or if just storing the can in the fridge would help? I LOVE this stuff because I never seem to have buttermilk when I need it. And, I agree. The flavor comes out more in the powdered version.

That brisket is around the normal price. Kansas is also cattle country, so that may be why it's a bit cheaper than where you live. How much is it for you?

Oh, you can definitely do the pheasant casserole in the oven. Just use a baking dish and cover with foil. I like the pheasant really tender, so the longer and slower you cook it, the better. I'd say 350 degrees for an hour or so? Check and see if it's bubbling and take a little tester piece out.

Bierock dough components.jpg

Hudson Cream is a brand of flour I've never seen before. Can you tell us more about it, please?

MelissaH

I'm glad you noticed that, Melissa!

We also have farm ground in other areas and one is near Stafford County Flour Mills . The wheat that we harvest up there is used to make Hudson Cream flour...so that's what I buy. It's a little more expensive, but it's a good flour and I like to support our wheat. :smile:

Shelby, I'm really loving this peek into a world that is so very unlike my own. The game is just amazing! The only game I have access to is in small plastic wrapped packages at the store. Thanks for sharing so much of your daily life with us!

also, on a non-food related note, I love the red walls of your living room. I've always wanted red walls but i think I'll never be brave enough to have them (or, brave enough to convince my husband I want them :smile: )

Thank you, Chufi! I always enjoy your blogs--and I check your site quite often!

I have bright colors in a lot of my house....I say you can always paint over something if you don't like it. :biggrin:

--------------------

I'm prepping a few things right now, so, bear with me and I'll be back in a bit.

I noticed in one of your pictures that you use powdered buttermilk. I use it too as the liquid stuff isn't available where I live. I actually like it as a flavor and I think it works great. But the powder in my can always turns hard. And makes hard balls that are impossible to sift. Does yours do that? Have any solutions?

I discovered the powdered buttermilk not too long ago, so, my can is just opened. I wonder if we should dump the powder out into a ziplock bag and store it in the fridge? Or if just storing the can in the fridge would help? I LOVE this stuff because I never seem to have buttermilk when I need it. And, I agree. The flavor comes out more in the powdered version.

Hi Ambra and Shelby. FWIW, I've been using the same brand of powdered buttermilk as Shelby for over a year now. In fact, I'm still on my first container. I've stored it in the fridge and it has not clumped or turned hard.

Hi Ambra and Shelby. FWIW, I've been using the same brand of powdered buttermilk as Shelby for over a year now. In fact, I'm still on my first container. I've stored it in the fridge and it has not clumped or turned hard.

I think I'll stick mine in there, too. Thanks!

My fridge, not yours, that is. :laugh:

I, too, use that brand of powdered buttermilk. I don't have any at the moment, but I seem to remember it says to refrigerate after opening. Here's what their website says:

Convenient

SACO 's Buttermilk Blend stores up to several years when kept refrigerated after opening. It can be used in nearly any recipe calling for liquid buttermilk or soured milk. SACO 's Buttermilk Blend is available in 12 and 16 ounce canisters, or our convenient box that contains 4/1-cup envelopes.

Canning Jars....

I just found a nice stash of old jars and the zinc/porcelain lids, even a few nice cardboard packages from the lids too.

I guess those aren't quite usable anymore

T

Tracy -- Use them for canisters! I have two half-gallons, two quarts and two pints I use for canisters that came from the smokehouse out behind my house when I was a kid. Wouldn't take anything for them. If you don't want yours, let me know and I'll send you the info and cover the cost of shipping them down to me!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Canning Jars....

I just found a nice stash of old jars and the zinc/porcelain lids, even a few nice cardboard packages from the lids too.

I guess those aren't quite usable anymore

T

Tracy -- Use them for canisters! I have two half-gallons, two quarts and two pints I use for canisters that came from the smokehouse out behind my house when I was a kid. Wouldn't take anything for them. If you don't want yours, let me know and I'll send you the info and cover the cost of shipping them down to me!

And you can buy the plastic storage lids that will be less stressful on the jar rims. I have some very old ones (some green, some brown) and the plastic lids fit just fine. The standard lid size has been the same for well over 100 years.

These are the regular size.

They also have the wide mouth.

I have a bunch of the zinc and porcelain lids but have them packed away because I learned years ago that if one tighten them just a bit too much on one of the old jars, the glass threads can chip off.

I use the dry buttermilk also. However I also usually have frozen buttermilk in the freezer - it, like heavy cream, freezes well and it is hand to have it already portioned - 1 cup, 1 1/2 cups and 2 cups, because I have several "regular" recipes that require these amounts. (Such as my cornbread recipe.)

If the dry buttermilk forms hard lumps just smash and grind them in a mortar and pestle.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

"Caroline, however did you manage to make a pie?" Pa exclaimed.

"What kind of pie is it?"

"Taste and see!" said Ma. She cut a piece and put it on his plate.

Pa cut off the point with his fork and put it in his mouth. "Apple pie! Where in the world did you get apples?"

Carrie could keep still no longer. She almost shouted, "It's pumpkin! Ma made it of green pumpkin!"

Pa took another small bite and tasted it carefully. "I'd never have guessed it, " he said. "Ma always could beat the nation cooking."

THE LONG WINTER

By Laura Ingalls Wilder

Can you guess what this is? It's not green pumpkin........

P1061566.JPG

Shelby,

Coincidentally, I live in beef Country too. In Tuscany, Italy though. There is also a lot of hunting going on around here, mostly wild boar. I don't hunt but I do see them off the side of the road though!

The price of the equivalent to brisket is at least double where I am. Meat is exceptionally expensive here. People think Italy is so cheap, but it's really not. I do happen to live in an expensive area though.

Thanks everyone for the tips re: the buttermilk powder. I do keep it in the fridge and in fact, I thought that was the reason it hardened.

P1061554.JPG

Every fall I look out to the garden and lament all of the green tomatoes that will never ripen before the first freeze. So, taking a cue from Ma Ingalls, I picked 'em for green tomato pie.

I chopped them up and put them in the slow cooker along with all of the usual seasonings for apple pie....cinnamon, brown sugar etc. I cooked them down, cooled them and froze them.

When I thawed them out, I saw they were a bit runny...and, I felt like they need a bit more zip.

P1061560.JPG

So, I added some flour, more cinnamon and some ginger.

P1061561.JPG

I still thought it needed something and I remembered that I had this up in the cabinet:

P1061562.JPG

P1061563.JPG

(anyone have any great ideas on how to use up the rest of this bag of ginger? It's POWERFUL stuff.)

See the flour scattered in the background? I attempted another pie crust. As you can see, it failed.

Again. :blink:

P1061569.JPG

Anyway, here's the pie before the oven:

P1061571.JPG

P1061573.JPG

And, now, it's all finished and cooling.

P1061577.JPG

We'll cut into it later and see how it looks!

Pa cut off the point with his fork and put it in his mouth. "Apple pie! Where in the world did you get apples?"

Carrie could keep still no longer. She almost shouted, "It's pumpkin! Ma made it of green pumpkin!"

Pa took another small bite and tasted it carefully. "I'd never have guessed it, " he said. "Ma always could beat the nation cooking."

THE LONG WINTER

By Laura Ingalls Wilder

P1061566.JPG

Green tomato pie?

My family is of Germans from Russia descent and we make a similar recipe to the bierocks that you made, only they are called fleisch keuchla (meat "something") - I have never found out what "keuchla" means and I don't know if it is German or Ukrainian. Since we spell it phoenetically I haven't been able to get an online translator to figure it out.

When I lived in WV, I used Hudson Cream Flour all the time, but I can't find it here in MN. So I use Pillsbury to keep it local :)

Edit to add: I was typing this while you were posting the answer!

Edited by Darcie B (log)

THE LONG WINTER

By Laura Ingalls Wilder

P1061566.JPG

Green tomato pie?

My family is of Germans from Russia descent and we make a similar recipe to the bierocks that you made, only they are called fleisch keuchla (meat "something") - I have never found out what "keuchla" means and I don't know if it is German or Ukrainian. Since we spell it phoenetically I haven't been able to get an online translator to figure it out.

When I lived in WV, I used Hudson Cream Flour all the time, but I can't find it here in MN. So I use Pillsbury to keep it local :)

Edit to add: I was typing this while you were posting the answer!

Yes! You got it!

I'd love to know if you ever get a translation for the second word.

Isn't it interesting how all different walks of life seem to eat some kind of meat in bread?

I'm eating a left over from last night.

P1061575.JPG

My mom grew up in a small town in Kansas. Her parents were from Bohemia (Pre-Czech).

Have you ever made kolaches?

When we were kids she would make kolaches for us and at just about every family function we'd have pork roast and sauerkraut with dumplings. A Polish neighbor suggested potato pancakes would go well with the pork and sauerkraut so she started making them, as well.

Your blog rocks! Thanks for doing it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Hudson Cream is a brand of flour I've never seen before. Can you tell us more about it, please?

MelissaH

We also have farm ground in other areas and one is near Stafford County Flour Mills . The wheat that we harvest up there is used to make Hudson Cream flour...so that's what I buy. It's a little more expensive, but it's a good flour and I like to support our wheat. :smile:

This reminds me of something we saw while cycling in Zeeland: fields of barley, with signs stuck in them that said (in Dutch), "Here grows your Emmelise," referring to a brand of beer. You actually grow your own flour. I like that. :smile:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

My mom grew up in a small town in Kansas. Her parents were from Bohemia (Pre-Czech).

When we were kids she would make kolaches for us and at just about every family function we'd have pork roast and sauerkraut with dumplings. A Polish neighbor suggested potato pancakes would go well with the pork and sauerkraut so she started making them, as well.

Your blog rocks! Thanks for doing it.

Thank you, Toliver! (I love what you have in your signature line, btw. It cracks me up)

I've never made kolaches, but, when I was little and lived in Colorado, the bakery there made them. They were sooooo delicious. You've inspired me to try.

MelissaH

This reminds me of something we saw while cycling in Zeeland: fields of barley, with signs stuck in them that said (in Dutch), "Here grows your Emmelise," referring to a brand of beer. You actually grow your own flour. I like that. :smile:

MelissaH

I never thought of it like that, but you're right! :laugh:

MelissaH

I can only assume you weren't cycling in Zeeland, North Dakota, where my brothers have a farm and where they also grow wheat! :biggrin: Other than the continent, the difference between the Zeelands is that in Zeeland, ND they mostly grow pasta wheat (durum. Although my brothers have grown malting barley, too.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

When we were kids she would make kolaches for us...

I've never made kolaches, but, when I was little and lived in Colorado, the bakery there made them. They were sooooo delicious. You've inspired me to try.

Yesterday, I spent several hours searching the internet for the right dough recipe so I could make my own kolaches. I want to make the savory sausage "kolaches" that are so popular in Texas. I finally settled on the recipe here and plan to make them later this week.

Edited by robirdstx (log)

Green tomato pie, yes indeed.

I posted this in RecipeGullet a few years ago and it was one of the early recipes I posted on my blog.

Aunt Hattie Anne's Green Tomato Pie

This is a small batch but I used to make it in larger batches, depending on how many green tomatoes I had, canned it for use all winter.

It's a staple where I grew up in western Kentucky - at church socials and so on.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When we were kids she would make kolaches for us...

Yesterday, I spent several hours searching the internet for the right dough recipe so I could make my own kolaches. I want to make the savory sausage "kolaches" that are so popular in Texas. I finally settled on the recipe here and plan to make them later this week.

I can't wait to check this recipe out!

Green tomato pie, yes indeed.

I posted this in RecipeGullet a few years ago and it was one of the early recipes I posted on my blog.

Aunt Hattie Anne's Green Tomato Pie

This is a small batch but I used to make it in larger batches, depending on how many green tomatoes I had, canned it for use all winter.

It's a staple where I grew up in western Kentucky - at church socials and so on.

I love the name "Aunt Hattie Anne". :smile:

It never occurred to me to can the filling, thank you for the idea!