• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

We have a contraption like a big fan that plucks the feathers for you

I would love to see a photo if possible.

Do you plunge the bird in hot water first? When I'm at the inlaws' farm I use a rotating drum with dozens of 4" rubber fingers on the outside. It takes only a minute for me to pluck a medium chicken with this gizmo.

That's pretty much the same thing that my husband uses. His is kind of cobbled together.

He's hunted for so many years, that it's fast for him just to do it by hand.

He says "no, no plunging in hot water doesn't work because the feathers actually repel the water". "It works good if you're plucking a pheasant or turkey, but not a goose". His procedure is called "dry plucking". "You sear the remaining down off with a flame and then you wipe it down so it comes out really clean".

After he gets home tonight, I'll have him dig his machine out for a pic.

Canadian geese - They've actually set up shop at a little lake in the middle of Oakland for as long as I can remember and never leave, poop everywhere!

Man that all looks good, haven't had a homemade pot pie in forever... :wub:

Thank you! I hear you about the geese. They're mean suckers, too. One bit me a long time ago while I was feeding it. :angry:

Pot pie is something we make quite a bit in the winter. I've used pheasant and left over venison roast as well.

And the plated version:

201101030022.JPG

*That* looks amazing ! I have 1/2 a turkey breast & 2 drumsticks in my freezer waiting to be roasted later this winter. THAT will be leftovers, and I'd never thought to make mashed potatoes with it, but well, yeah. That just totally works...

ETA----ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGH (as Charlie Brown would say), still haven't got that quote with picture thing down. Next time, yeah, next time.

I honestly thought everyone had mashed 'taters with pot pie. :laugh:

You know, what I really need is a primer on pie crust. I love meat pies - they're pretty much the only time I make pie, actually - but I can never get the crust right. Shelby, I totally understand your desire to use boxed crust - but I can't even get those to work!

Every recipe I see always seems to call for far to little water for me to bring the pastry together. And most recipes warn direly of using too much water, so I'm afraid to add more. Instead of a smooth, well integrated piece of pastry like you've rolled out above, I get this sad little bumpy disk that's breaking apart at the edges like a coral atoll. I've tried rolling it out in wax paper; I've tried the twenty minute rest in the fridge. Help a girl out - how did you do that?

Well, out of the box, I just roll it out and it works. Mine thaw in the fridge for a couple of days before hand.

I could totally use pie crust lessons. My Grammy can whip one out like it's nothing. So can my mother-in-law. They've tried to teach me, but to no avail.

My husband is going pheasant hunting this morning, so I got up and made him a thermos of coffee and breakfast. I usually make it the night before. I do a toasted English muffin with either sausage or bacon and a runny egg on top. He just re-heats it in the microwave and he's good to go. However, since we have left-over pot pie, I made him this:

edited to add that in the little container is a left over egg from last night. I used a bit of the egg white to brush on the pie.

201101040004.JPG

201101040005.JPG

201101040007.JPG

He also wanted a couple of the muffins from the other night:

201101040009.JPG

We don't have a fancy coffee set-up. But, it works for what we need.

201101040001.JPG

201101040002.JPG

I also rounded up some venison summer sausage and cheese for him to snack on today. The cheese isn't my favorite, but it works well when you're starving after hunting a pheasant patch.

201101040003.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)

I could totally use pie crust lessons. My Grammy can whip one out like it's nothing. So can my mother-in-law. They've tried to teach me, but to no avail.

I've heard that it's all in the practice. Like, make a pie a week for 30 years, and you eventually get good at it. I guess I should get started!

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the birds or the deer being broken down (graphic, I know) from whole animal to cookable carcass. Especially the birds. My markets will kill me a fresh chicken or duck, but they always take it off somewhere else to dress it.

I've heard that it's all in the practice. Like, make a pie a week for 30 years, and you eventually get good at it. I guess I should get started!

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the birds or the deer being broken down (graphic, I know) from whole animal to cookable carcass. Especially the birds. My markets will kill me a fresh chicken or duck, but they always take it off somewhere else to dress it.

So, by the time I'm 90, with no teeth, I'd be a damn good pie crust maker? :laugh:

I've tried not to be too graphic because I didn't want to offend anyone. However, I can't show the deer processing without showing details. I'm working on the deer pics right now.

I will definitely get some pheasant pics later today.

I didn't go in depth with the goose 'cause, well, I just didn't.

Speaking of the goose, he's resting in the fridge right now. I'm thinking of making goose and noodles near the end of the week.

Shelby, you are doing an amazing job. I check your thread first thing in the morning even before my caffeine :rolleyes:

On the pie crust, Cooks Country has an easy pat-in-the-pan pie dough that is wonderful. It's flaky and has incredible flavor. It has butter and a little cream cheese. It's easy-peasy.

Here is the recipe. You do have to register for the site, but it's free.

http://www.cookscountrytv.com/recipes/login.asp?docid=7706

Blog on! :biggrin:

Rhonda

Your BLOG is great fun to read. You supplied my first laugh of the day with you pie crust story.

As for Canadian geese, hunters where we live do kill and eat them. Our neighbor behind us hangs the dead carcasses at the far corner of HIS property so HIS family doesn't have to look at them hanging there like harbingers of doom...which makes them completely visible to US on OUR daily farm perimeter walk. So thoughtful. To HIS family. Rats.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Shelby, you are doing an amazing job. I check your thread first thing in the morning even before my caffeine

On the pie crust, Cooks Country has an easy pat-in-the-pan pie dough that is wonderful. It's flaky and has incredible flavor. It has butter and a little cream cheese. It's easy-peasy.

Here is the recipe. You do have to register for the site, but it's free.

http://www.cookscountrytv.com/recipes/login.asp?docid=7706

Blog on! :biggrin:

Rhonda

Thank you! I'll definitely check it out. I used to make one a long time ago that used cream cheese and I forgot about it!

Your BLOG is great fun to read. You supplied my first laugh of the day with you pie crust story.

As for Canadian geese, hunters where we live do kill and eat them. Our neighbor behind us hangs the dead carcasses at the far corner of HIS property so HIS family doesn't have to look at them hanging there like harbingers of doom...which makes them completely visible to US on OUR daily farm perimeter walk. So thoughtful. To HIS family. Rats.

:laugh: :laugh: That was Mtn. Dew up the nose laugh! Harbingers of doom :laugh: :laugh:

Does he hang them there a long time before he cleans them?

:laugh: :laugh: That was Mtn. Dew up the nose laugh! Harbingers of doom :laugh: :laugh:

Does he hang them there a long time before he cleans them?

As for his timeframe...I don't really know. We met him out there a couple of weeks ago and he was cutting part of them off. They had already been hanging there...and they are hanging there still. I didn't ask...he didn't say. We exchanged brief polite greetings but that was about all.

Mountain Dew first thing in the am? You are a fearless one! :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have a confession.

One of many to come, I'm sure.

I.

Am.

A.

Syrup.

Snob.

My Grandpa never eats anything but pure maple syrup, so, I suppose it's genetic. However, it never surfaced until a dear friend from Canada sent me pure Canadian maple syrup. It's all gone now :sad: . But, I have this from Vermont and it's really good!

201101040002_01.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)

Let's mush. :laugh:

We're going to do mush three ways (I felt like Anthony Bourdain when I typed that...or maybe his counterpart Ruth....)

Here's the mush from yesterday after being in the fridge:

201101040005_01.JPG

201101040004_01.JPG

If one had some pretty molds, you could really get fancy here....

Anyway, I made one with syrup and butter, one with brown sugar (I don't have any maple sugar, so I subbed with this). Thanks to andiesenji for her wonderful idea! And one with cheese and salsa.

201101040003_01.JPG

201101040001_01.JPG

Slap some butter in a skillet and heat it to medium high. You want it really sizzly (is that a word?) and hot.

201101040007_01.JPG

Dredge your piece of mush in flour before placing in the skillet. The flour really crisps up the outside.

201101040008_01.JPG

You'll want a lid to shield yourself from the searing hot pops that shoot you in the face.

201101040009_01.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)

Here is the cheese and salsa (btw, Hell on the Red salsa is darn good if you don't feel like making your own):

201101040010.JPG

The syrup and butter:

201101040012.JPG

And the brown sugar:

201101040013.JPG

201101040014.JPG

I sacrificed myself and ate all three...

I need to practice some more, but the brown sugar with the smoky bacon in the mush=YUM!

The salsa and cheese...sooooo gooooood. Would also be great with red gravy and parm cheese!

And, the syrup and butter...decadent.

I'm going to roll myself downstairs and exercise. Then, I'll get back to work on the deer pics.

Deer processing coming up next!

I have a confession.

I.

Am.

A.

Syrup.

Snob.

My Grandpa never eats anything but pure maple syrup, so, I suppose it's genetic. However, it never surfaced until a dear friend from Canada sent me pure Canadian maple syrup. It's all gone now :sad: . But, I have this from Vermont and it's really good!

Them's fightin' words, gal. Our neighbors around the corner (a country type corner, y'hear) make and sell their own maple syrup, as do many in our township, and I'd bet our maple syrup against your American product any day. So there.

I took our local maple syrup to a friend in Moab last year and she adored it. What can I say? Syrup snob? Hah! :laugh:

ps. The Harbingers of Doom were still hanging there this morning.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have a confession.

I.

Am.

A.

Syrup.

Snob.

Them's fightin' words, gal. Our neighbors around the corner (a country type corner, y'hear) make and sell their own maple syrup, as do many in our township, and I'd bet our maple syrup against your American product any day. So there.

I took our local maple syrup to a friend in Moab last year and she adored it. What can I say? Syrup snob? Hah! :laugh:

ps. The Harbingers of Doom were still hanging there this morning.

I'd be happy to make another sacrifice and do a taste test of your syrup.

:laugh:

Well, dang, I'd think they'd be all frozen--which would mean he wouldn't clean them for days??? I've never heard of that. Must Google.

I'm really interested in seeing the deer, maybe just link to photos so not everyone has to see? I don't process too many deer here in Oakland...

I think I can make it so it's not too gory. I found a couple of charts I can link to online, also, to aid in showing.

Phew, these deer pics are taking a long time. Don't worry, I'll be back asap!

Or try adding a little more ice water. :wink:

We're all big kids here. Let's see the full monty -- or Bambi.

I agree. And I think it's good for those of us (like me) who buy our meat in shrink-wrap to see the process.

Well, here goes.

First, a bit of trivia for you Laura Ingalls Wilder fans. What was Pa's nickname for Laura?

I know, it's an easy one...but for those not familiar with "Little House on the Prairie" the answer is located on the syrup container.

What's your M.O. for getting the feathers off a Canada Goose?

... We have a contraption like a big fan that plucks the feathers for you, but, since he didn't have many to do, he did this one by hand.

I'd also like a picture of your feather plucking contraption, if possible.

Thanks!

Edited by xxchef (log)

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Ok, I want to preface this by saying that these pics were taken in December. When I was asked to do a blog, I decided to document the deer process so I'd have pictures just in case, God forbid, we didn't happen to get a deer this week.

I'm glad I did because my husband is pheasant hunting all day today and I feel like the week is growing shorter and shorter.

When I took pictures, I decided to focus mainly on the different cuts of meat. I didn't want to freak anyone out by showing the graphic pics.

Now that I know that you guys would like to see all of the process, I'm really hoping more than ever that we get a deer before this blog has to end. In the event that we don't, I'm hoping that it would be ok to either open this blog back up, or for me to post here in Food Traditions and Culture to follow up and show more detail. It's almost better this way, in that we can break it up into sections. Today we'll focus on the different cuts of meat and how to spot them. Tomorrow we'll haul the grinder out and make hamburger. Later, we'll actually show the inside of the deer and show where to cut from.

I hope that all sounds ok. :wub:

Welcome to my husband's garage!

Antlers 001.jpg

Antlers 002.jpg

Deer processing 060-1.jpg

Deer processing 059-1.jpg

I used to do all of this out in the freezing cold garage. My hands would get so numb from the coldness of the meat that I'd cut myself numerous times and not even feel it.

I got smarter.

Now, I make my husband carve different sections off and bring them inside to the kitchen in a big tub.

Deer processing 055.jpg

It's so much easier to get all of the hair off by doing this in the kitchen, too.

I'm with you in that I'm a syrup snob as well as a sugar snob. I love maple sugar as well as maple syrup. I like the Trader Joe's "B" grade which is dark and more flavorful than the lighter, at least to my taste.

For future reference, I buy the granulated maple sugar from Welch's Maple because they have the best product and the best price, in my opinion, of any online source.

I use a lot and share it with my daughter, so I buy the bulk pack.

I've tried the King Arthur Flour offering which is more expensive and didn't like it as well. 8 ounces is 9.95.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like to prep everything. I have 2 tubs with unscented trash bags in them. One for scrap and one for the meat that we're going to make into hamburger.

Deer processing 005.jpg

We always start with the tenderloins. Even if we're not cutting up the rest of the deer, the tenderloins always are cut off right away for two reasons. One, they dry out rapidly if left on the deer. Two, they are the most tender cut of meat and we eat them right away.

Here is a chart of the different cuts.

And another