• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

I also loved the Little House books, I haven't thought about the green pumpkin pie for probably 25 years, but the first time it was mentioned here, I remembered reading that like it was yesterday. Can't wait to see what you cook up over the next week!

And how they made Pa try and guess what the pie was made of, and he couldn't? Reminds me of Ritz's Mock Apple pie.

Laura Ingalls Wilder should be included on lists of great American food writers.

You're so right. I wonder how we could make that happen?

Happy New Year! Great house shots- I feel like I am sitting inside with you. I too remember the food descriptions from the Little House books with much fondness. When Chris Amirault showed his daughter making snow ice cream in his recent foodblog, I immediately thought of the maple syrup poured on the snow to make candy from one of the books (or am I mixing authors up??) Looking forward to everything you can show us.

no, you're right! It was at the sugar off party her uncles and aunts held to celebrate the sap running.

wow, this is going to be a great blog.I was so into the little house books that my mother bought me the complete set for a birthday gift when I was in my twenties.

Shelby, I always loved your dinner posts and what an adventurous eater you are!

I was wondering, did you ever have livestock? Or, rather, is there some reason you don't?

Just curious, as I love animals and I'd have a boatload if I could. :laugh:

I've never had livestock. My husband did when he was a kid, so I suppose that's why he doesn't want any now.

I'd love to have a few chickens, but, the coyotes are so plentiful that they wouldn't last a single night.

Plus, I'm a huge animal lover and I'd never be able to part with any of them.

we're getting ready to put a fresh venison roast on the smoker.

(Sitting at my computer hitting the refresh button on this page every 20 seconds)

Talk about putting the pressure on :laugh: . I'm off to my torture (exercise machine). I promise, after that we'll see the roast and more!!!

What does one do after a brutal workout while waiting for the turkey to be cleaned?

One has a cocktail, of course. :biggrin:

I'd normally use some tomato juice that I canned over the summer, but, we've slurped all of it down already, so I'm using the next best thing: Zing Zang!

201101010003.JPG

201101010008.JPG

Also, a snack of shrimp and foie gras on toast left over from yesterday.

201101020001_01.JPG

Ok, since we're smoking a venison roast, we might as well throw on a wild turkey breast and legs, right?

My husband shot this female turkey. She was pretty big!

Sorry for the blurry photos...I was in too much of a hurry, I guess :rolleyes:

201012180002.JPG

201012180003.JPG

201012180005.JPG

201012180006.JPG

We'll use these parts for turkey pot pie later on in the week, does that sound good? Or we could make turkey and noodles....or I'm up for any suggestions. :smile:

201012180009.JPG

shelby-

i am looking forward to any recipes you have on quail and the pheasant pie. john had his first pheasant last month and loved it(course it was roasted draped with bacon didn't hurt). i used the carcass and the darker meats to make stock and pot pie. i currently have 4 quail and 2 squab in the freezer and john is going to be stocking up on venison and pheasant when he goes home next weekend.

we grew up with the mantra that whatever we hunted/fished/etc we ate so i'm with you. well....except for the groundhogs on the farm that were eating the young fruit trees. do you hunt as well or focus on the preserving?

even though your blog ends before Kansas Day any chance of a K.D. party?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Startin' up the smoker:

Turkey on the bottom, venison on the top.

201012230001.JPG

201012230003.JPG

BTW, I keep having to switch cameras...don't ask lol. So, forgive any yucky pictures.

Edited because after one Bloody Mary I've lost my mind lol.

The venison roast has been brining in some Morton's Quick and Tender, black pepper, garlic and water.

Edited by Shelby (log)

shelby-

i am looking forward to any recipes you have on quail and the pheasant pie. john had his first pheasant last month and loved it(course it was roasted draped with bacon didn't hurt). i used the carcass and the darker meats to make stock and pot pie. i currently have 4 quail and 2 squab in the freezer and john is going to be stocking up on venison and pheasant when he goes home next weekend.

we grew up with the mantra that whatever we hunted/fished/etc we ate so i'm with you. well....except for the groundhogs on the farm that were eating the young fruit trees. do you hunt as well or focus on the preserving?

even though your blog ends before Kansas Day any chance of a K.D. party?

Oh gosh, you just brought back memories of kindergarten!!!! Before I moved to Colorado, Kansas Day was a big deal. Doesn't seem to be any more as I haven't thought about it in years! We'd draw pictures of sunflowers and Jayhawks. Might just have to figure something out along those lines!!

Sounds like your freezers are going to be full! I have a couple of recipes up my sleeve that you guys might like. Quail are so good that I like them just roasted with salt, pepper and butter. I've also done them like Cornish game hens and stuffed them. They're also delicious wrapped in bacon and stuffed with jalapenos.

My husband and I have dated since 1994. I took hunters education with a bunch of little boys when I was 19 or 20. Back in those days, I went all of the time. Deer, pheasant, goose, turkey, duck...you name it. Goose hunting scared me, though. Laying in that blind on the ground, those geese looked huge! I was terrified I'd shoot one and it would fall straight down and knock me out. With age, I've come to enjoy sleeping in and not freezing my butt off, so I'm more of the preserver/fixer and he's the outdoors man. Now, in the summer time, you can't keep me away from fishing...that's a warm weather activity. :biggrin:

you and my mom would have gotten along famously. she would come home from work any day it was nice, change into her fishing clothes and then head for the docks or one of the beaches. course i don't care if i ever look another bluefish, weakfish or rock fish in the face again!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Even before I moved to upstate New York, my culinary favorite of the Little House books was always Farmer Boy. I've actually been through Malone several times (it's about a three hour drive from where I live) but we've never stopped as we've driven through. But I loved the description of the Christmas dinner at which Almanzo ate and ate and ate and ate and ate, and finally put his second slice of fruitcake in his pocket for later. I'm looking forward to this foodblog!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Thank you, Melissa!

I'm pleasantly surprised at how many of you share my love for the Little House books! Very cool.

Are you guys sick of looking at my kitchen shelves yet? :biggrin: I hope not because I have more. I've been bustling around this afternoon doing a bit of organizing (I know, I know, I should show you how my cabinets are every day, BUT it was a good excuse to throw away some old old spices).

I also figured out how to get a decent picture of the whole kitchen so you can see the layout. We had it remodeled a couple of years ago. I'd do it differently given another chance, but I still like it.

Here is the baking/spice area:

201101020001_02.JPG

201101020002_01.JPG

201101020004_01.JPG

201101020003_01.JPG

201101020005_01.JPG

201101020006.JPG

201101020001_03.JPG

An amazing start to your blog, Shelby! I am envious of your kitchen, especially the pull out shelves and the very long counter above your stove. Does your stove have downdraft ventilation?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last Sunday during the Blizzard here in NJ I got a text that said..."how will we get back home, or will we just wander out onto the open prarie?"

to which I countered "what was for Christmas dinner?"....and so we went all the way back to green pumpkin pie where I finally stumped her LOL

blog on....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

An amazing start to your blog, Shelby! I am envious of your kitchen, especially the pull out shelves and the very long counter above your stove. Does your stove have downdraft ventilation?

No :sad:

Congrats on the first 2011 blog! I'm about to get very jealous as you start bringing in and cooking all that local game...

Thank you for reading!

I am so excited about the Little House foods! A couple of years ago I re-read the series with a few friends and we thoroughly enjoyed being in Laura's world again.

I wish I had a group that would re-read with me...sounds like fun!

Last Sunday during the Blizzard here in NJ I got a text that said..."how will we get back home, or will we just wander out onto the open prarie?"

to which I countered "what was for Christmas dinner?"....and so we went all the way back to green pumpkin pie where I finally stumped her LOL

blog on....

tracey

I think we should invent a Little House trivia game!

Shelby, it's an amazing blog and I look forward to all of it! One question -- why was the skin removed from the turkey before cooking?

Thanks!

Rhonda

The skin on a wild turkey is like chewing on a balloon.

Good to see you again!

I've never had livestock. My husband did when he was a kid, so I suppose that's why he doesn't want any now.

I'd love to have a few chickens, but, the coyotes are so plentiful that they wouldn't last a single night.

Plus, I'm a huge animal lover and I'd never be able to part with any of them.

I recall well when we first raised calves and I named them. I was a vegetarian for a year, at least where beef was concerned. Hogs are mean critters, and I never had any compunction about eating pork, no matter I'd been acquainted with that bacon in a previous incarnation.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

201012180006.JPG

We'll use these parts for turkey pot pie later on in the week, does that sound good? Or we could make turkey and noodles....or I'm up for any suggestions. :smile:

What about mole poblano?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Smoked turkey and venison are in and sliced.

Oh, incredible. I had a 5-kilo turkey for Christmas to feed 15, which cost me 80 USD imported - and you get them free wandering around your neighborhood! Sometimes I miss a big plate of lean meat. Do you eat all the meat you catch in season, and then preserve it for the rest of the year, or do you give any away?

I decided to do something I've never done before...I know, not really smart for a food blog.

I made cheesy poblano pepper cornbread to use for the bbq venison sandwiches.

First of all, I roasted the peppers on my gas stove--messy, but effective.

Dinner 1 2 11 001.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 002.jpg

Cornbread fixins'

Dinner 1 2 11 003.jpg

Cornbread batter

Dinner 1 2 11 004.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 005.jpg

I made mini muffins and used ramekins for the sandwich bread

Dinner 1 2 11 009.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 008.jpg