• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Shelby (2011) - From the field to the table. (warning, pi

Shelby

To go with I made some coleslaw --bag of pre-made slaw, sugar, milk, lemon, salt, pepper and smidge of mayo.

Dinner 1 2 11 007.jpg

Also, we wanted some french fries!!! Now, I don't know who is to be credited for this...but I know that it's someone out there...

I slice up the 'taters like so

Dinner 1 2 11 011.jpg

then place in the pot and cover with vegetable oil

Dinner 1 2 11 012.jpg

and turn the heat on high

Dinner 1 2 11 019.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 021.jpg

I sliced the ramekin bread in half and browned them in a skillet so that they'd hold up a bit more.

Dinner 1 2 11 017.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 018.jpg

Thinly sliced smoked venison and Curley's bbq sauce go into the oven for 20-30 mins covered in foil to warm.

Dinner 1 2 11 014.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 013.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 015.jpg

Yummmmmm

Dinner 1 2 11 022.jpg

Dinner 1 2 11 023.jpg

Smoked turkey and venison are in and sliced.

Oh, incredible. I had a 5-kilo turkey for Christmas to feed 15, which cost me 80 USD imported - and you get them free wandering around your neighborhood! Sometimes I miss a big plate of lean meat. Do you eat all the meat you catch in season, and then preserve it for the rest of the year, or do you give any away?

We eat most of it...some we give to my husband parents and to my parents.

I would like three plates, please. If I give you my address, will you overnight them to me?

And is that the cold oil french fry method from M. Robuchon we see in action?

I'd send it Federal Express!! We have lots of leftovers...only two of us. It's hard to make small portions.

Yes, that french fry method is the one I use. I had no idea it was from someone famous lol....I just wish I could remember where I read how to do it. Thank you for showing me!

I'd send it Federal Express!! We have lots of leftovers...only two of us. It's hard to make small portions.

I'd find it hard to cook for two if I had a whole deer too!! :biggrin: I assume you have a very large freezer and an excellent labeling system in place.

You're killing me! I just at a bit ago but these posts are making me starve!

I'd gladly have you in to eat! I'm putting up leftovers as we speak.

Thank you, again, to one and all for reading this. My worst fear was that I'd be talking to myself. :biggrin:

I'm off to have an after dinner wine and watch tv from the couch.

Tomorrow, you guys must meet my furry babies....and, there is a full plate (hee hee) of foodie things on schedule!

See ya in the morning!!

This is going to be a wonderful foodblog. You've brought back some cherished memories of the times I spent on my Grandparents farm in Prineville, Oregon, when I was a boy. Three things I'm liking right now; your pie safe holding cookbooks, the view from your porch and the thought of sipping wine while looking at the fields, and that canned bacon from the Vermont Country Store. Is it really strips of bacon in a can?

I'd find it hard to cook for two if I had a whole deer too!! :biggrin: I assume you have a very large freezer and an excellent labeling system in place.

Well, we have one large chest type freezer, one fridge size freezer downstairs that half works, and one attached to the fridge...and, I'm trying to be better with being organized. It was difficult when I worked tons of hours a week, but now that I'm home more, I'm weeding out and swearing to change my ways.

You all will see more of my weeding out this week...sigh...don't judge me lol. :laugh:

This is going to be a wonderful foodblog. You've brought back some cherished memories of the times I spent on my Grandparents farm in Prineville, Oregon, when I was a boy. Three things I'm liking right now; your pie safe holding cookbooks, the view from your porch and the thought of sipping wine while looking at the fields, and that canned bacon from the Vermont Country Store. Is it really strips of bacon in a can?

David!!! So great to see you!!

Oh, it is heavenly sipping wine from the porch (especially if it's under 90 degrees and the wind doesn't feel like a blow dryer lol).

Yep, it's really strips of bacon in a can. I bought it ----errrr, I mean Santa bought it for my stocking and my mom's stocking this year. I've yet to open it..I'm SO curious.

Wow. Can you tell us a little bit about where you shop for food items that you don't grow or hunt? Are you close to stores or is it a big deal to go in to shop?

post-54689-008685400%201294025658.jpg

Holy smoke – you just made BBQ better (‘cuz roasted Poblano chiles make everything better :smile: ). I roast Poblanos the same way as you do, FWIW. You have made it clear that I need to break down and learn to make cornbread.

The parking lots at work are half-empty at the start of deer hunting season so just in case I receive a windfall, can you elaborate on your venison smoking process (time, temperature, cut of meat, etc.)? How would you compare smoked venison with, say, smoked pork butt?

Also, I don’t think I have seen Curley’s BBQ sauce before. Would you please describe it and tell us why you like it so much?

Sorry, lotsa questions, but I’m interested. Sleep well!

That's the only way to make french fries. Everything looks terrific so far. Love your home, and the way you live, the hunting, the farming, the haying.. (I just caught an episode of "The last American Cowboy":).

There's a large deer hunting community here in mid Michigan. Most utilize most of the deer meat, making sausage and jerky, do you/your husband make any?

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...

We gots ourselves a Shelby blog, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah !

Happy New Year to you too, Shelby ! This is going to be another great week !

View from the kitchen:

View from Kitchen-1.jpg

That angel you have over in the left corner of the window sill, I have that too. I collect angels and one of my dearest friends gave it to me years ago because she "was cooking like you do" !

And I love, love, love your pie safe with the dragonfly handles. That is a stunning piece.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

*edit* well, that picture link sure didn't work, but you get the drift....

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thank you, again, to one and all for reading this. My worst fear was that I'd be talking to myself. :biggrin:

No worries there! That's what my blog was for. :wink:

You're doing great. I'm jealous of at least a dozen things already, including the very fact that you live on a farm. I always wanted to do that. Blog on, sister! :cool:

Wow. Can you tell us a little bit about where you shop for food items that you don't grow or hunt? Are you close to stores or is it a big deal to go in to shop?

Hi Pam!

There is a tiny grocery store about 10 minutes away, but I hardly ever go in. It's a 45 minute drive to get to a Dillon's or a Wal-Mart. I've discovered a really great Dillon's, so I've been buying there recently. I definitely only shop once or twice a month, so I have a big list and I stock up. If I find we're out of milk in the evening, then we do without milk.

One item I never buy is ground beef because we grind up our venison and make our own.

post-54689-008685400%201294025658.jpg

Holy smoke – you just made BBQ better (‘cuz roasted Poblano chiles make everything better :smile: ). I roast Poblanos the same way as you do, FWIW. You have made it clear that I need to break down and learn to make cornbread.

The parking lots at work are half-empty at the start of deer hunting season so just in case I receive a windfall, can you elaborate on your venison smoking process (time, temperature, cut of meat, etc.)? How would you compare smoked venison with, say, smoked pork butt?

Also, I don’t think I have seen Curley’s BBQ sauce before. Would you please describe it and tell us why you like it so much?

Sorry, lotsa questions, but I’m interested. Sleep well!

Oh, making cornbread is so easy. Just don't over-stir as I used to do.

In Arkansas, whole businesses shut down for deer season...it's like a holiday. :laugh:

Ohhh Curley's. It's just the right balance of smokey/sweet/spice. It's thick and rich.

Here is their web site It's made in Hutchinson, KS which is not very far from where I live.

I'm sorry, I should have said more about the smoking process...I'm glad you asked!

Depending on wind and temperature it usually takes around 4 hours to smoke at a temperature of 180 degrees. We used a hind-quarter roast.

It's not as juicy as a pork roast...but it's not dry, either. I'd compare it more to roast beef in texture.

I think I'll go ahead and work up the deer processing procedure either today or tomorrow so you all can see the different cuts of meat. I love cutting up a deer. I'm pretty sure I was a butcher in a past life. :biggrin:

That's the only way to make french fries. Everything looks terrific so far. Love your home, and the way you live, the hunting, the farming, the haying.. (I just caught an episode of "The last American Cowboy":).

There's a large deer hunting community here in mid Michigan. Most utilize most of the deer meat, making sausage and jerky, do you/your husband make any?

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Thank you so much! I saw a commercial for that show...I need to watch an episode.

We make small batches of summer sausage and jerky..nothing too fancy. You'll see later this week. We have some venison roasts that escaped us from 2008 so I think we're going to make batches of each. Cross your fingers, you could see an epic failure. :laugh:

Hey, Kansas isn't far from Oklahoma... you want some dinner guests? (too bad I'm traveling this week!) That BBQ sounds great, I've never smoked venison before. What sort of wood did you use?

You and your wife are welcome any time. :biggrin:

We used wood from a crab apple tree.

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah...

We gots ourselves a Shelby blog, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah !

Happy New Year to you too, Shelby ! This is going to be another great week !

View from the kitchen:

View from Kitchen-1.jpg

That angel you have over in the left corner of the window sill, I have that too. I collect angels and one of my dearest friends gave it to me years ago because she "was cooking like you do" !

And I love, love, love your pie safe with the dragonfly handles. That is a stunning piece.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

*edit* well, that picture link sure didn't work, but you get the drift....

Awww thank you, sweetie!

It was a bear getting that pie safe in here. And making it stable. But I love it.

Thank you, again, to one and all for reading this. My worst fear was that I'd be talking to myself.

No worries there! That's what my blog was for. :wink:

You're doing great. I'm jealous of at least a dozen things already, including the very fact that you live on a farm. I always wanted to do that. Blog on, sister! :cool:

Oh stop! :laugh:

Thank you!

Good morning, everyone!!

I'm going to get my daily torture out of the way and then we'll start day two.