• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

English-Language Stir Fry Cookbooks

Chris Hennes

I have a wok burner, I have a wok, and I have Grace Young's Breath of a Wok and Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge. I've cooked a bunch of the recipes from Breath and just started in on Sky's Edge, but Sky's Edge is starting to feel like a simple rehashing of the same recipe style from Breath. I'm looking for some variety: what are some of your favorite cookbooks that focus on (or at least have a lot of recipes for) stir frying? Any other good resources for this Westerner?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For CHinese, I rely heavily on Fuschia Dunlop's Revolutionary Cuisine and I picked up Sichuan Cookery recently. They're not wholly about stir-frying, but of course those kinds of dishes are heavily represented.

I learnt a lot about stir-fry technique from Yan Kit-so Essentials of Chinese Cuisine, where by reading through her recipes, you can get a sense of the order of stir-frying, and how to treat the ingredients. I rarely use any of her recipes exactly, but I often freestyle off of them, using the ingredients I have to hand.

I learnt a lot about stir-fry technique from Yan Kit-so Essentials of Chinese Cuisine, where by reading through her recipes, you can get a sense of the order of stir-frying, and how to treat the ingredients.

As did I. I rarely use her recipes anymore, but I learned an awful lot from that book. Worth seeking out.

More generally, in addition to the above, Irene Kuo's "Key to Chinese Cooking" is also a top-notch basics-of-Chinese-cooking text. Very much worth having. It's out of print, but used copies are readily available.

Edited by John Rosevear (log)

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

I really love both of Dunlop's cookbooks, especially Land of Plenty. I also recommend Nina Simonds's books Classic Chinese Cuisine and China Express. If you can find it, Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee's little-known but excellent The Chinese Cookbook. For something a little more contemporary but still quite clearly Asian, Barbara Tropp's China Moon. I use all of these regularly.

Irene Kuo's "The Key To Chinese Cooking" is a classic which should be on every Chinese cooking chef's bookshelf.

Martin Yan's and Ken Hom's excellent books are based mainly on stir frying.

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.