• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Seafood from a Can

Peter the eater

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 1:40 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I needed tuna for my dinner.  The light in the bedroom isn't great and the first tuna I found was Callipo.  Perfectly OK tuna but the cans are impossible to open.  I resorted to silicone gloves and pliers, and then digging the tuna bits out with a knife.

If I ever buy Callipo again it will be in glass jars.  Which are on sale at SupermarketItaly.com at the moment.

I caved.  Twelve jars of Callipo are on their way to me.  Still on sale.  As I get older cans are more and more of an impossibility.  Of course jars present their challenges as well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was running low on tuna and placed an order with the Fishing Vessel St. Jude people.  Decided to add a few tins of these La Brújula mussels in escabeche to my order. 

I put a few on crostini, spread with aioli, then followed the description on the website for a super quick pasta:

IMG_2947.thumb.jpeg.68062aea3ae60034762fe6a7009e2352.jpeg

A little parsley would have been nice but I hear it's over-used 🙃

Very tasty.  I wish I'd bought more but I see that the local import store I visit from time to time has them in stock so I'll check their prices. 

• Like 5

I used a can of Trader Joe's wild-caught sockeye salmon to make salmon croquettes from Jubilee in a 2 Tbsp appetizer size:

IMG_2957.thumb.jpeg.06e6a3336b6582fde18e10e8522ff02a.jpeg

Preserved lemon aioli from Shaya on the side. 

Salmon croquettes formed into bulky logs with mushy middles were a Lenten penance when I was growing up.  The small size of these improved the ratio of crispy exterior to tender interior.  No mush. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I've been making those with fresh (er?) salmon - last ones I made were 1/2 poached salmon and 1/2 smoked salmon.

My better 1/2 is not so in love with them.

I think you just planned my dinner.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com