• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mennonite summer sausage

Tri2Cook

I bought a whole Mennonite elk summer sausage at the farmer's market. A vendor from a semi-local elk farm always has a booth at the market and I buy a lot of meat from them (She's bringing me some elk bones for the next market to use for stock, she always has smoked bones but the stock from them was too smoky so I asked her if I could get some unsmoked as well.). I usually buy a couple packs of the pre-sliced sausage to munch on because it's really tasty but this time I decided to grab a whole one. I've never dealt with one of these before. After I peel the cloth bag off, is there anything else to peel or do I just wash it off (or not?) and munch? I cut a piece off and peeled it because it's kinda fuzzy looking once you remove the bag (not mold) but that seems to lead to a bit of waste so I won't peel it if it's not necessary.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Kerry. That's what I guessed but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. This thing is awesome. I should have been buying them all along. The whole ones must be more aged or something, the texture is much more dense and chewy than the pre-sliced stuff she sells and the flavor is definitely more intense. I'm putting together an elk themed dinner (after the next market when I have a couple things I special ordered), I have to find a way to work this sausage into it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.