• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woo! Things we are excited to find at the store

Chris Hennes

A topic to celebrate those little victories in life: that stuff you've been trying to find at the store forever, that you scored today.

For me: epazote. Unlabeled, unpriced, and hidden in the back, but I had a hunch. Maybe that stuff was not, in fact, a mysterious Asian herb, but rather a mysterious Mexican herb. Sure enough, it rung up as epazote! This is a major find for me, I'm excited. Time to make some beans!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Found Armenian preserved walnuts 15 oz. at $3.99 at the middle eastern grocery store in San Antonio "Ali Baba" Always find new wonders there.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Passionfruit juice concentrate at a mexican grocer. I don't really know what to do with it yet but it's an intriguing ingredient.

A Brazilian friend tells me that her family makes a dessert with it, sweetened condensed milk and Nestle's Media Cream. These are her instructions: Empty the can of condensed milk into the blender. Fill the can with passion concentrate (it comes in a glass bottle) and put that in the blender. Drain the water off of the media cream and put that in a blender. Mix to blend, pour into containers or glasses or whatever and refrigerate for 30 minutes minimum. Sounds like a key lime pie kind of thing but with no eggs....

I was SO excited when our little local market (part of a smallish chain) started stocking fresh (well, maybe one day old) tortillas and really good chips made from same tortillas. I bought a pack of the fresh ones and two little bags of the chips every week... for about a month, before they discountinued them. :sad: