• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Dinner Menu

G-rat

:smile:

This for me is cringe-worthy. It's not very good, deep or representative. And it's too cute. The endless photos of "Rick at play" are also borderline but there's so much else good that you can overlook it.

At first, the photos, music lists and drinks made me regret the purchase, but only for a moment. It gets better and better.

I don't disagree with you on the abundance of Rick photos...shameless self promotion :laugh: on his part. But...I also know you are way into Mexican and Latin music and that your knowledge of it runs pretty deep. I can see where you might think his play lists were shallow. OTOH, most likely the vast majority of people cooking out of this cookbook probably don't have your level of experience with Mexican/Latin music and may appreciate the suggestions. Yeah, some of them are somewhat trite, but hey, it's his party and most of the suggestions are readily available.

The recipes themselves all look pretty solid. I can hardly wait to try the Mezcal or Champagne Margaritas. TGIF

I also don't think we should hijack G-Rats party thread. :smile:

I don't think talking about things to have at a Mexican-themed dinner party, including music, is highjacking a thread about a Mexican-themed dinner party. Personally, I'm up for reading/learning about anything that I can do to enhance my guests' overall experience when being entertained in my home.

And I have to say that the chat about Rick Bayless's new book really does, as RG says, make me want to "pick up the phone and call my pals over for a dinner party."

After first picking up the phone and calling to see if my local bookstore stocks the book.

I've had great success with the recipes in RB's other books, and they've always, without exception, been well-received when I've prepared them for guests.

As to the music, mixed emotions. Having not read the book, it's hard to pass judgment. It sounds as though Bayless's list might be a little too gimmicky and perhaps also too cheesy and obvious to be of much value, although suggestions that offer expert insight might be a good thing.

Let me take this opportunity, though, to ask G-Rat - just out of curiosity. Playing appropriate music for themed dinner parties is something I always do, but I've noticed most other folks do not.

G-Rat, do you routinely do that? Are you planning to this time?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

:smile:

This for me is cringe-worthy. It's not very good, deep or representative. And it's too cute. The endless photos of "Rick at play" are also borderline but there's so much else good that you can overlook it.

But...I also know you are way into Mexican and Latin music and that your knowledge of it runs pretty deep. I can see where you might think his play lists were shallow. OTOH, most likely the vast majority of people cooking out of this cookbook probably don't have your level of experience with Mexican/Latin music and may appreciate the suggestions. Yeah, some of them are somewhat trite, but hey, it's his party and most of the suggestions are readily available.

Clearly his mission isn't to educate people about Mexican music. But what if he included papusa recipes in this book? Or a nice Brazilian fejoada, without context? It would be pretty weird. If it were Rachel Ray, it would be one thing but it's Rick Bayless.

Remember, the book is recommended and I'm nit-picking.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Guys I don't mean to hijack this discussion of Rick Bayless' new book.... :biggrin:

....but is this a menu you would want to eat? I know these folks aren't like the rest of us in terms of striving for authenticity in mexican cuisine...but I get the feeling that I'm being a little too creative and thus maybe a little irreverent...(That was a joke...sort of...)

Maybe I introduced this wrong.

Rancho Gordo...your right about Tacos Al Pastor...its not real tacos al pastor and might confuse some of the folks eating for later on down the road...does it sound like something you would want to eat, thought? I could call them Tacos Panza De Cabra

I am no longer doing a taco course. Instead I am doing an Antojito plate with smaller versions of all of the appetizers minus the Tostada De Vieira. With the black bean sope, The Taco (vegetables for vegetarians, meat for meatatarians), and the fruit cup.

This is all due to the genius suggestion of Chris Hennes (I'm not kissing butt. This really did help my menu!)

Main Course is a braise of Pork shoulder in Pipian Zapoteco with beans and really tiny chochoyotes...although I might nix the dumplings. Vegetarians get short braised vegetables (Chayote, Swiss Chard, Carrot).

Also what dessert do you guys think finishes the menu?

Thanks again for all your help with this. And talk about Rick Bayless as much as you damn well please. I love the guy. And I think it is hilarious(and probably helpful) that he has music recommendations in his cook book. I like to follow his twitter feed because some times he puts pictures up of the food from the restaurant and it makes my mouth water!

Edited by G-rat (log)

G-rat, how do you feel about churros? I like them hot and crispy with a nice thick chocolate dipping sauce (think warm ganache flavored with some canela and almonds) and some fresh tropical fruit. If you've got an ice cream maker, what about 3 or 4 different nieves in tropical fruit flavors, or a chocoalte/chile combo? You could serve them with some Mexican wedding cookies and cafe de olla. There is always Flan Imposible, which is chocolate cake on the bottom and flan or top...or maybe it's the other way around.

I tend to like to keep dessert light.

If you've got an ice cream maker, what about 3 or 4 different nieves in tropical fruit flavors,

Looked up 'nieves' every which way and came up with nothing edible. It sounds like a 'snow' word. More explanation, please. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you've got an ice cream maker, what about 3 or 4 different nieves in tropical fruit flavors,

Looked up 'nieves' every which way and came up with nothing edible. It sounds like a 'snow' word. More explanation, please. :smile:

Think of it as the Mexican version of gelato. They come in every flavor you can possibly imagine and some you can't, from corn to leche quemada to cajeta to every fruit in the market. The flavors are clear, bold and refreshing

Churros are delicious, but I personally don't feel they are that light. If I had them at the end of a meal, I think I would feel stuffed - better to have them as breakfast or a snack!

I think the burnt milk ice cream sounds like a better idea, as ice cream tends to be lighter and more refreshing IMO. Is burnt milk a bit like cajeta? To me burnt milk doesn't necessarily sound pleasant, so I assume it is more like caramalised milk? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sign me up with the crowd that thinks churros, while incredibly delicious, wouldn't work well as dessert for this occasion, unless they're all going to be staying over until about 2am, at which point you're going to brew up some thick chocolate and you can have churros and chocolate. I think they're kind of heavy, too, not to mention a lot of work at the last minute, what with having to fry them up right before serving.

And if one's goal is to introduce Mexican neophytes to the typical flavors of Mexico, there's not much new or different or unusual in churros. They basically taste a lot like doughnuts, but with some cinnamon added.

I'd probably do either crepas con cajeta - the crepas folded over in quarters, with a scoop of ice cream in the middle, and then the cajeta poured over. Or that much-beloved old standby, flan, but with some sort of interesting infusion or sauce, perhaps pomegranate or jamaica. And a hibiscus flower would make a beautiful garnish.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I think I'm the only one who thinks tacos are a fine idea. If your goal is to introduce Mexican flavours to your friends, then it's nice to have something familiar, yet different. The first time I had a "real" taco, I was surprised at how small they were and overwhelmed by the options I didn't know could be had in a taco.

My only concern would be your filling. "al pastor" refers to grilled meat, does it not? I always thought it did, but you are cooking your lamb sous vide. Last I checked, sous vide wasn't a traditional Mexican cooking method. And last I checked, in Mexico "al pastor" usually refers to pork, not lamb (although it's based on grilled lamb).

So, just to clarify, your goal is to introduce your guests to Mexican flavours, but not necessarily food as it is traditionally cooked in Mexico (i.e. "authentic" Mexican food)? If that's the case, it might be a good idea to clarify that to your guests, particularly the part that "al pastor" is usually pork, not lamb, and it's usually grilled, not sous vide. Not that lamb sous vide can't be served somewhere as Mexico, but I would guess most Mexicans have probably not eaten lamb cooked that way.

That's a great point, Rona. For somebody that thinks tacos are hard-shelled yellow things that contain seasoned hamburger meat and American cheese, their first real taco is a revelation.

Those AREN'T real tacos????? :hmmm:

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"