• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Street food in the region

Kentan

Vancouver street food is getting healthy (from the Sun, link below):

.... Vancouver is going to apply "minimum nutritional standards" to the food carts it licenses as part of an expansion of its street food vendor program. In doing so, Vancouver will become the first city in Canada — and quite possibly North America — to apply minimum standards for what it considers wholesome nutritious food that can be bought on the street.

Along with nixing things like stand-alone chip stands and not approving any more hotdog vendors, the city won't look favourably on people who want to sell items that are high in sodium, fat or sugar when it opens the door to new street food licenses next month.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Vancouver+wants+nutrition+standards+street+food+carts/4103166/story.html#ixzz1AyePQ8To

Hmmmm. I'd rather make my own choices but so far I can't say that the food "carts" are a big draw for me. They are pretty expensive and, unless you take the food back to the office, there's usually not a comfortable place to eat it. I'd just as soon go to a restaurant.

Cheers,

Anne

• 2 months later...