• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake toppings

Lior

My house, it seems, is the official cake bake place of the 7th grade class. Every time someone has a birthday, the cake, the same one, it has to be the same as the kids refuse to change, HAS TO be made in my kitchen by a bunch of giggly girls after school. They make the cake and then go home. I wait for the cake to completely cool down and then cover it in a white ganache, decorate it a bit and the next day it goes to class. Once I made a dark ganache and the kids all complained. Tomorrow they finish semester one and get report cards. Once again a cake is required... I am tired of the same white ganache, although that is what they want! Kim inspired me a bit by her lovely graduation cake and I want something a bit different to their usual but to their liking. I am open to decorating ideas as well. ASAP!! Perhaps a shiny one? Any ideas to help are welcome. Thanks!

yep, white chocolate and cream and a bit of glucose... I know... :wacko: sweeeeet

Well...we don't actually have to eat it, do we? :smile:

I've never made a ganache out of any chocolate other than dark, but it might be worth a try for the other folks who like milk and white. Thanks

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

well I had to get the cake done as it is eveninghere already. I made the chocolate cake and this time I sandwiched it with a layer of gianduja (nuts are suitable for an upcoming holiday)

and rice krispy-like krispies.

On the top I did the usual white chocolate ganache, but I used silan(date syrup) instead of glucose (dried dates are also suitable for the upcoming holiday).

class cake.jpg

It looks yummy :)

Does Silan have added sugar? Whats the difference between the silan and the date spread they sell? How is it used?(ive asked husband but he seems to think if I dont know what it is theres no point explaining lol)

Why did you add the glucose syrup to the frosting?

Didnt the puffed rice go soggy?

Edited by Spring (log)

There are some kinds that have added sugar, but at the health food store/section you can find silan without added sugar-just sweet from the dates. It is like an inverted type of syrup, like honey or glucose or corn syrup. It has a few reasons for its use. I use glucose etc it because it adds emulsion and shine, but it also adds shelf life and smoother textures. In the case of honey or silan, it adds some flavour and silan has all the good things incl minerals and vitamins etc that dates have. :smile:

I use it on a lot of things even meat/chicken.

Oh and no, the rice krispies do not get soggy because they are in a mixture of hazelnut paste and chocolate (gianduja), no liquids , no sog!!

Edited by Lior (log)