• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

small, intense jus or a lake of gravy?

Shalmanese

Given the same amount of total flavor, would you rather have an intricately prepared and technically perfect jus, reduced down to a scant tablespoon to be delicately sauced over your food or a big ladelful of yummy gravy, thickened with flour or cornstarch and poured liberally until it covers everything?

I have to say that, while I can appreciate the technique and flavor of a great jus, I'm a gravy boy at heart. There's just something about abundant amounts of gravy that make me happy.

PS: I am a guy.

If most of the items on the plate get along with gravy then pour it on, (like Thankgiving dinner). If we are talking about a steak or perfectly roasted bit of something with a pan reduction then just on the meat itself. The sides themselves will also dictate the saucing like with a great steak the mashed potaotes might be super creamy or agressively seasoned with garlic, for a gravy meal I would make simpler smashed potatoes to wallow in gravy.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm the opposite. I want a few tbsp of tasty sauce/jus, not an ocean.

In fact this is a major criterion in my mental review of a restaurant, esp for fish and veal dishes. If my saltimboca is an island in a pond of sauce... the joint fails.

Somewhere in the middle. I don't like bukets of insipid sauce. But I don't like dribbles of oil-paint consistency hyper-reduced sauces, either. I want intensity, an appropriate texture that's still in the realm of liquid, and enough of it to moisten every bite.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I'm not hard to get along with. If you're better at making jus, I'll have the jus. If you're better at gravy, I'll take the gravy.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Can I have a lake of jus?

I'm not one for gravy, I'd rather dabs of it for moisture, in dire situation, or situational like on biscuits with sausage. I prefer clearer, thinner, more intense sauces, but not a little dab or spoonful, bring out the bowl, baby. I wanna swim. I like intense and salty and plentiful, I just don't like thick. I've been known to dip roasted chicken directly into salt.