• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Duck 2005

Ai Leen,

The waiting 15 minutes is definitely a service faux paus, but I suggest you speak to Melissa in reservations Melissa@thefatduck.co.uk to rectify your party's issues. She was incredibly gracious and accommodating to my requests. I would think Chef B gets a pass on post-blackout issues, but you guys are pretty tough and when you are the "top-rated" restaurant in the world not much margin of error.

Good Eating,

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 2 weeks later...

Not content with being the best chef in the world Heston Blumenthal will soon be returning to our screens after his breathtaking debut in 'Full on Food'. 'Perfection' is a eight parter to be aired on BBC2, in which the humble genius will show viewers how to create 'perfect' Spag Bol, Risotto, Roast Beef etc. The series will be lavishly complemented by a shiny book published by Bloomsbury and also called 'Perfection'.

Commentators are also hoping that Blumenthal, who has cornered the market in 'perfect', will be able to lecture philosophers on his understanding of the term, as its meaning has been keeping them awake for centuries.

"The series focuses on eight classic dishes - Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, Spag Bol, Risotto, Roast Beef, Steak and Salad, Pizza and Treacle Tart and Ice Cream"

Classic indeed. I look forward to this, hopefully Heston will look a little more confident of camera then on FOF, God knows he should be confident.

What is 'bangers and mash'?

What is 'bangers and mash'?

Sausage and mashed potato - a great British delicacy only improved by the addition of onion gravy.

not to mention the odd slice of white bread to mop up said gravy. hmm know what's for dinner tonight. cheers for the inspiration Andy.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

From the Fat Duck website today.

Front page:

Please note that all the information and facts you are

about to read are current

Menu\Du Jour Menu:

MENU SAMPLE FOR LUNCH MENU

THIRTY-SEVEN POUNDS AND SEVENTY-FIVE PENCE

From the 1st of November 2005 this menu will no longer be available.

Whilst we all know that many websites are never absoutely up to date, the combination of the first assertion with the second statement is rather surprising.

Although we probably wouldn't have seriously considered the Du Jour for ourselves on another visit, we have taken Duncan's parents there for the Menu Du Jour before now and they enjoyed it. If this no longer exists in any form I would now be very reluctant to consider taking them, or my father, there again because I'm not sure they could handle the more expensive (and elaborate) menus.

Does anyone know for certain if "no longer available" means that they will henceforth only have the choice of A La Carte and Tasting? Or does this perhaps mean that a new cheaper menu of some sort may be added?

• 5 weeks later...