• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lychee Ice Cream Question

Darienne

I have a question about making lychee ice cream. :rolleyes:

A friend and I are putting on a minor Chinese feast for friends in Moab and I wanted to make lychee ice cream. I found some recipes, all calling for much heavy cream and egg yolks and so on. But I want to try something else and need some input.

I have already made Alton Brown's Seriously Vanilla Ice Cream :wub::wub: substituting my chopped glace kumquats for Brown's peach preserves and I added chopped pecans at the last. It was perfect, delicious, and not one ice crystal, nor was it hard to serve.

Here is the link as best I can do it:

Posted by: Toliver on Aug 29 2003, 10:42 AM

I was bowled over by Alton Brown's simple yet delicious http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...936_144,00.html

My question is: Is there any reason why I cannot simply drain the canned lychees very well, chop them up and substitute them for the peach preserves?

(Oh, yes, canned lychees. You can't get fresh in Moab and you can't even get canned. I asked the Thai lady in the bakery section at the local grocery if she had any and if I could buy them from her. She had some. Needless to say, she does not buy them in Moab. Perhaps this should go onto the topic 'You know you are a real eGulleter" when nothing stops you in your quest, not even good manners)

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No reason you can't try it. I've never made a lychee ice cream, only sorbet. If you're going to chop them, just drop them in the machine when the base is almost frozen. That way they won't really alter the recipe in the way using a puree as part of the base would.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks to you both for the information.

The sad thing :sad: is that the can of lychees has an expiry date of 2004 and I simply cannot risk other people's health.

I googled what I could find under Chinese ice cream and the possible flavors which I can make here are coconut, ginger, or mango.

Ginger, my preference, is too risky. Too many people don't like ginger. I'll see if I can find some ripe mangoes tomorrow. I don't particularly care for coconut. I already have made some almond cookies so I'll think about it. We are not lacking for food and drink.

Thanks again. Darienne

....hmmmm I might divide the finished product with half ginger (which I love) and half mango.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I like ginger ice cream. Not only do I infuse the base with it, but I sometimes add chopped candied ginger as well. I've even added a ginger caramel swirl before. Ginger sorbet is nice too, very refreshing. Are you sure "too many people don't like ginger"? My main problem is trying not to eat half of the candied ginger I'm chopping for use in a recipe. Make it anyway if that's your preference, you might be surprised (unless you already know for sure that this particular group of people really don't like it).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like ginger ice cream. Not only do I infuse the base with it, but I sometimes add chopped candied ginger as well. I've even added a ginger caramel swirl before. Ginger sorbet is nice too, very refreshing. Are you sure "too many people don't like ginger"? My main problem is trying not to eat half of the candied ginger I'm chopping for use in a recipe. Make it anyway if that's your preference, you might be surprised (unless you already know for sure that this particular group of people really don't like it).

Truth be known, it is mine own true love who loathes ginger. I don't really know about the others who are coming.

I do have a container of recently candied ginger which I intend to dip into chocolate...that is if I have any left by the time I do it. I eat a couple of pieces every day. I do ADORE ginger.

Nope, DH suggests that I just reprise the kumquat ice cream. And so I shall.

Thanks. :smile:

ps. And when I get back to the land of lychees, I shall buy lovely fresh ones and make lychee ice cream. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Tell hubby that you and your friend are doing a theme dinner for friends and it isn't all about him so suck it up! :raz::biggrin:

Tell hubby that you and your friend are doing a theme dinner for friends and it isn't all about him so suck it up! :raz:  :biggrin:

Have just located a can of lychees where no lychees would normally be. Expiration date 2009. Cost...$4.95. Aarrggghhh....

Have to run out and buy them. I was just about to make the ice cream too.

As for the DH. He's a great guy. He brings me coffee in bed every morning. Folks like that you treat special. If he doesn't want ginger, he doesn't get ginger. :biggrin::biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 years later...

No reason you can't try it. I've never made a lychee ice cream, only sorbet. If you're going to chop them, just drop them in the machine when the base is almost frozen. That way they won't really alter the recipe in the way using a puree as part of the base would.

Thank you Tri2Cook. You were so correct.

So here I was yesterday looking online for a recipe for lychee ice cream because my friend had come to visit bearing Soho Lychee liqueur and a can of lychees,wanting to make lychee ice cream. Completely forgot about this topic which I started more than 2 years ago when I didn't make the lychee ice cream in Moab because date of the can of lychees I had been given was already very expired.

Our lychee ice cream is delicious, although lacking in the creamy mouthfeel and now I learn, too late, after re-reading this topic, that I made the mistake of adding the drained chopped lychees to the base before I churned it, instead of at the last minute after churning.

Next time, I'll get it right. :smile: (Actually it was my friend's fault...she bullied me into putting the lychees into the base. :raz: )

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A little off topic--how do you pronounce lychee? I was born and raised in Hawaii and it was always l-eye-chee, but around here (Missouri) I hear lit-chee or lee-chee. I always thought they were wrong! But the other day on a TV cooking show I heard lee-chee. Hmmm..could I possibly be wrong?

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

Red bean ice cream is a popular ice cream for the Chinese.

dcarch

I love red bean buns, so I should try the ice cream. Do you have a particular recipe that you like?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.