• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Pudding Question

dondford

I need to take a Banana Pudding to a party but are short on time. If I cooked the pudding the night before or the morning before the party would it keep ok in the fridge.

How about putting it together but not brown the meringue just before serving??

Any help appreciated.

D

I need to take a Banana Pudding to a party but are short on time.  If I cooked the pudding the night before or the morning before the party would it keep ok in the fridge.

Any help appreciated.

D

Yes, cook it ahead. I always make puddings the day before. I'm not familar with a meringue on a pudding. Just put some saran on the pudding so no skin forms.

I need to take a Banana Pudding to a party but are short on time.  If I cooked the pudding the night before or the morning before the party would it keep ok in the fridge.

Any help appreciated.

D

Sounds like a good plan to me.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

If Dean says its best the 2nd day ....then it is

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=20669

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I like the plan of waiting on the meringue. As long as the pudding is well covered to prevent browning, it will only improve after a day. But I wouldn't give the meringue more than 12 hours, tops, before it starts getting rubbery.

What I would do is make the pudding the day before, plastic wrap it tightly, and let it mellow in the fridge. Then I'd make the meringue, assemble and brown it the day of the party. You should be good to go.

Be sure to let the plastic wrap rest on top of the pudding as CaliP says, with no air between, like you do guacamole, to prevent the top from developing a skin.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Any help appreciated.

D

Yes, cook it ahead. I always make puddings the day before. I'm not familar with a meringue on a pudding. Just put some saran on the pudding so no skin forms.

I've seen it on some banana puddings, but my banana pudding friends give it the big thumbs down. I agree with them. Skip it.

Other than that, you are totally OK with doing it in advance. It's pudding. Even home made not from a box mix pudding keeps nicely.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

When you serve it cold, top with whipped cream--a thin layer will do--and crumbs of the vanilla wafers to keep cover from sticking to cream.

Meringue is never cooked to a safe temperature, even less so when the surface it covers is cold, not hot.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

In the Deep South, I've never seen a banana pudding without a meringue topping; however, Ruth makes a good point. Modern times, I guess...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

In the Deep South, I've never seen a banana pudding without a meringue topping; however, Ruth makes a good point.  Modern times, I guess...

I've never seen it in the south without meringue, either. And generations and generations of potluckers and thousands and thousands of church-supper-goers seem to have survived just fine.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Not for purists but it's still quite good is Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding". It's totally Sandra Lee-ish in its preparation but is always a huge hit when I bring it to potlucks.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Not for purists but it's still quite good is Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding". It's totally Sandra Lee-ish in its preparation but is always a huge hit when I bring it to potlucks.

Wow, I'll say it's "not my mama's."

And I'd never have tried it if not for your recommendation, and the fact that I note it's got all those great reviews.

I'll have to give it a go at our next potluck.