• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calipoutine Scrambles to go Catering

CaliPoutine

More bargains. I needed ALL of this stuff so it worked out well.

The peppers are for the greek and pasta salad. Tomatoes I'll use for the Greek Salad. The tomatoes I bought yesterday I'll use for sandwiches. The sub mix is assorted deli meats( this time it was ham, turkey and summer sausage) for 3.68lb. The red onions I'll use for the salad as well.

Celery is already washed and trimmed and I'll use that in the tuna and egg salad.

I think I did pretty well.

gallery_25969_665_898252.jpg

I dont know how full-time caterers do it. I went to sleep at midnight and was up at 6am. Not because I wasnt tired, I just cant sleep!!!

Hmmm, if you get 50% yield on 25lbs of shoulder/butt (same cut unless you got "picnic shoulder") that's 12.5lbs of pulled pork, which works out to 200oz or 50 4oz portions. Served on buns with coleslaw and sides, that will probably be just about perfect. You may need to take a little extra time pulling the pork to make sure you get every scrap of usable meat, but you should be fine.

Chad

That's exactly what I was going to say - Chad beat me to it! I forget what other sides you are serving with the pulled pork meal. But as long as this is not a buffet, you will have total portion control and 4 oz is plenty IMHO. If it is a self-serve buffet, I recommend putting the meat at the end of the buffet line (so their plates will already full by the time they reach the meat). Since you can't get anymore meat - I wouldn't sweat it. Add another side if you really think you need it.

But remember my experience from last week serving 225 and all of the leftovers because of the other volunteers telling me that 4 oz pp wasn't enough? In a buffet situation (esp. with other hearty sides), 4 oz of protein pp is plenty!!!

Also, I have kitchen envy! That looks like a fabulous set up for the task at hand. :biggrin:

Well, the first day is over. Everything went really well except for the fact that it was probably 100F instead of 85F like I predicted. I probably dropped 5lbs in sweat. LOL.

The food was great( if I do say so myself). I got many compliments. One lady said " this is the best food I've ever had at this facility".

We left there at 7pm and we( my helper is spending the night at my place) were home by 7:40. I had a few things left on my to do list, but they'll have to wait until morning.

The pulled pork was no where near finished when we left. I turned the slow cooker down to 250 and will let it cook all night.

I had tons of salads leftover too. All the chicken was finished.

Pics to come later.

I'm thrilled the first day went so well for you. What a stinker for heat though. Glad I didn't spend the day in an warm kitchen!

I can't wait for this gig to wind down so that we can see some pictures.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I'm glad it went well Randi! I'm over here cheering for you! This heat is ridiculous!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So far so good, no surprise. Looking forward to the pix . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

The food was great( if I do say so myself).  I got many compliments.  One lady said " this is the best food I've ever had at this facility". 

:biggrin: I hope this means they'll be willing to pay more next year!

What a change from the seniors. They love you, they really love you!

Thanks for all the good wishes. I have to get a move-on soon, but I uploaded a few pics. I can't believe I forgot to take a pic of the soba noodle salad. It was really good!!

gallery_25969_665_636623.jpg

chicken, sausage, onion bake( recipes that rock 2008 thread)

gallery_25969_665_672417.jpg

pasta salad. Check out my vintage cheese markers.

gallery_25969_665_659112.jpg

potato salad. I asked my helper to garnish w/ chive blossoms. She didnt tell me the blossoms werent open. LOL.

gallery_25969_665_355514.jpg

group eating.

This is just part of the food, I planned on refilling the platters, but I didnt need to. There is so much food leftover. Maybe because it was so hot, people didnt eat as much. I made two 900gram bags of pasta and I almost had Robin bring me another bag. I used 16lbs of mini potatoes( too many).

Enjoy these pics in your cool airconditioned houses. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to hearing how the pulled pork sandwiches turned out. I forget if you are serving that today or tomorrow.

Everything looks fantastic so far - your clients must be thrilled - and of course that would justify a price increase should you decide to do it again next year! :wink:

PS If possible, can you post a photo of the women drumming or at least the drums? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the clients are doing when they are not eating your food. :laugh::laugh:

Today we worked 11 hours. We were able to take a few 15 minute breaks and get out of the sweltering kitchen. I opened up my thermapen thermometer and it read 96F in the kitchen. It was cooler outside though.

This is for Kathryn.

gallery_25969_665_173616.jpg

I'm just going to post a few pics as we need to be there tomorrow at 6am. I'm exhausted and need to sleep!!

Everything went really well and everyone was so happy. I was almost in tears as one women( from Long Beach, CA no less) was telling me how great the food was. She said it was so much better than the food last year( a profesional caterer from London did that). Its so nice to be appreciated :biggrin:

gallery_25969_665_990590.jpg

Before dinner. There was tons!!

gallery_25969_665_973007.jpg

After dinner. I worried for naught!! Look how much is left.

Omigod, it looks fabulous. I haven't posted yet, but I've been following this thread and your senior's thread for a while. I'm so glad you're finally cooking for an appreciative audience! The food looks fabulous, and I wish I were there to eat it. I've never had pulled pork, can you believe it? If you're sending a care package to Doddie, please send one for me too!

Here is my last photo for tonight. This was the dinner table.

I'll post everything else tomorrow.

gallery_25969_665_284835.jpg

Dessert was Paula Dean's Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding. This is 3x a recipe and there was half of it left.

gallery_25969_665_107095.jpg

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I like how they wrote "Baked Potatoe". I guess it's not just Dan Quayle...

So what happens to all the leftovers? I know they didn't want them to be recycled throughout the weekend, but will some people get to take some home? Or will it be divided up amongst the staff (your one staff plus the staff of the camp)? Or can you recycle some of it for your seniors? (that might be too much of a stretch, but no harm in asking!)

I like how they wrote "Baked Potatoe".  I guess it's not just Dan Quayle...

So what happens to all the leftovers?  I know they didn't want them to be recycled throughout the weekend, but will some people get to take some home?  Or will it be divided up amongst the staff (your one staff plus the staff of the camp)?  Or can you recycle some of it for your seniors?  (that might be too much of a stretch, but no harm in asking!)

They're going to take what they want, I'll take some and so will my sous chef :biggrin: I guess I'll dump the rest( which pains me to do). I'm leaving for Florida on Tuesday so I'll be missing my Senior dining next week.

I baked 66 potatoes last night. I dont know what possesed me to do that. We diced up about 20 for breakfast this morning, they ate about 20 last night and there are many, many leftover. I figured 1 per person last night, but they were huge. I went straight to a produce company. They sold me the 50lb bag of russets for 9.00.

Oh and its 4am and I'm awake :blink: I was planning on getting to the site an hour before breakfast but I dont think thats enought time for the french toast casseroles to bake. I'm going to give myself an extra half hour.

So its over and I need to come down off this high!! It felt so good to prepare food that was appreciated( you're right Rona). I can't even count the number of compliments I received. They even asked me if I wanted to come and cook at their Eastern Camp( near Ottawa) next week. I said " No Thanks". I'll be in Florida as well. I dont think they realize how long I prepared for this.

I was up at 4am and we got there by 6am. Breakfast was ready by 7am and then we worked on lunch.

First though, here are some pics from yesterday's lunch. Sandwiches, chips, fruit salad and assorted cookies/bars.

gallery_25969_665_981601.jpg

gallery_25969_665_333772.jpg

gallery_25969_665_120543.jpg

gallery_25969_665_339373.jpg

See those butter tart squares at the top? It was so freaking HOT that they were melting. Every single cookie/square that I made yesterday adn today was demolished. I dont think a lot of people bake these days.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

That fruit salad is making me drool.  Looks so cool and refreshing!

We made a ton of it and it was appreciated. It was soooooo HOT. They had some at their lunch and last night as part of their snack. I also made Hummus( Cook's Illustrated Ultimate Hummus) and pita chips.