• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food tours ?

Ono Loa

i am such a big fan of No Reservations and would LOVE to visit the places in asia that tony has been. is anyone aware of ANYONE giving a food tour to these fabulous places that tony has been?

having a guide point you in the right direction would leave alot more time for eating and no wasted time trying to find those places.

i didnt know where to ask about this. if anyone can help...i would LOVE any suggestions.

thanks

Actually, there was a recent discussion that was sort of about this. But I think it may have been more along the lines of becoming a food guide as an occupation.

The easiest way to go about this would be to post your query in the regional forum you're interested in. In your case (Asia), you have three to choose from in the eGullet regional forums: China & Chinese Cuisine, Japan, and Elsewhere in Asia/Pacific.

If you can't find a food guide for your area of interest, egullet board members in those forums might be able to at least suggest places to visit for the best food experiences.

You could also scan through previous posts in those forums for "blogs" by board members who've gone through your region of interest and have posted about their experiences.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

What Toliver said. Also if you go on, I believe either foodnetwork or the travel channel sometimes they will give a layout of which places they went to and the names.

For instance, usually when he goes to eat theyll show the establishment's name, so just jot it down and google it up.

thanks for your input.... i was going to post in the individual places i wanted to go to see if anyone there was acting as a guide. i have no doubt i could find the places on my own but in a densely populated place like hong kong it would be alot better to have someone take me right to the places i wanted to go. it just saves more time for eating and less time trying to find the place i am looking for LOL.

thanks alot for your suggestions....i really appreciate it.

I am a expat pastry chef from nyc < alto , limpero, aquavit, daniel> living in bangkok, if you guys want to set up a group ,ill do a tour for you guys in bkk or chiang mai/ chang rai....... let me know i have spent the last 6 months eating out 3 time a day in bkk so we got some stuff that bourdain wishes he got to see and eat.... plus pom poot pasa thai, "i speak thai" we actually have been toying with doing food tours in bangkok. But we just keep on getting side tracked with other projects, and my girl also a former pastry chef from nyc, was born in bangkok, so were a thai / farang combo, my email is tbpastry@yahoo.com if anyones interested

Conde Nast Traveler frequently references guides to assit them on thier trips to non english speaking countries. Perhaps an email to them might shake something loose. However the offer above would be more the kind of person I am looking for.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren