• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remembering Restaurants of the Past

NJ2FLA

Although not terribly missed, this thread got me thinking... "What was my first restaurant memory?"

I remember habitually (especially in the summertime after a day at the town pool) going to the Jade Fountain in Paramus for their smorgasbord (did the word buffet not exist back then)... this was bliss for a young child... "you mean i can eat all the dim sum, wontons, and egg rolls i want? WOW!!"

Although not terribly missed, this thread got me thinking... "What was my first restaurant memory?"

I remember habitually (especially in the summertime after a day at the town pool) going to the Jade Fountain in Paramus for their smorgasbord (did the word buffet not exist back then)... this was bliss for a young child... "you mean i can eat all the dim sum, wontons, and egg rolls i want? WOW!!"

Jade Fountain was a mini-dynasty for a while. Locations in Lyndhurst or North Arlington, in Clifton adjacent to Rutt's Hutt, Paramus, maybe Lodi or Little Ferry...

Are there any left?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

My first real restaurant memory was also a Smorgasbord...does anyone remember Zaberer's (owned by Charlie Zaberer) on the Black Horse Pike just outside of Atlantic City?

There was also one in Wildwood, (owned by his brother, Ed).

They owned them from the 50s to the 80s, I believe.

If you remember them...then you remember: "Get Zaberized!" "Only minutes away" and the "Zaberized cocktails". How about the sign at the entrance to Wildwood for years and years that read "Welcome to Zaberville!"

Another long-gone Atlantic City legend is Hackney's Seafood restaurant in the inlet section.

I know you aren't really south Jersey folks, but heck, who didn't visit Atlantic City at some point?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Sid's in Bradley Beach. Hot dogs with hot works. Fries in a paper bag smothered with ketchup.

Those were the days.

How about the Sea Crest Clam Bar, Bloomfield Ave. North Newark. Outstanding seafood. Just to see the waitresses fit past the diners jammed into every nook and crany of this tiny gem was worth the visit.

What was the name of the place that was across the street from Evelyn's (also gone) on Main Street in Belmar??

It started with a "Z". Was it Zeboles?? I am racking my brain trying to remember the name.

Can anyone help?????

I loved going there for Steamers!! The fries and clam strips were another favorite!!!

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

The old Jade Fountain on Ridge Road in North Arlington had the best Chinese buffet I was ever at. Garlic crabs and pork wrapped in foil were the tops. OK maybe not the best ever but as a kid I remember thinking this place was the finest of dining. :biggrin:

A.D.S.

Let's not forget Manero's Steakhouse on 17N in Rochelle Park, Manero's Pizza & Hamburger Joint on 17S in Paramus (where I was the pizza man & grillman), the Paramus Bowling Alley & Mr. Pizza within, where I was also the pizzaman.

Zeman

Zeman,

I remember Manero's where my dad would take us whenever my mom wasn't going to be home to make dinner, AND...

i remember Mr. Pizza where i used to bowl on Saturday mornings (circa 1978) where i would get "the special"... 2 slices and a coke for $1.15!! (gosh, i'm old... starting to sound like an old man... "i remember when we used to get ______ for a nickel)

TJ's MMMMM Onion Loaf, I missed onion loafs so much that I built a restaurant to make my own. Ribs too, hmmmmm what would happened if TJ's didn't close.

Komsa's Farms, a mini goffle style farm, long since converted to deli, the seasoned french fries were the thing, and again, i had to make a place with seasoned fries to recapture this, hmmmmm

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

You can get Arthur Treachers at some of the local malls. It's owned by Nathans now. They co-brand Miami Subs, Arthur Treachers, Kenny Rodgers Roasters, and Nathans Famous Hot Dogs.

Nathan's Famous

The pork in the foil.. yummm.. Jade Fountain! Memories!

Someone stop me . I cannot stop thinking about places I liked and miss.

How about Gary's in Maplewood for late nite cheese or pizza burgers.

Cohen's on Hawthorne ave in Newark for hot dogs, potato dogs and knishes. Them were the days. I would work on my paper route all week and my friend Schwartz and I would spend our weeks wages at Cohens.

Gary's used to have the best Baby Back Ribs and Garlic Chicken, my family used to go there when I was in high school. I was so excited to bring Jason there several years ago. It was very disappointing, not nearly as good as I remembered. But I don't know if that's because they had gone downhill, my expectations were too high, or my tastes had developed. I suspect they had gone downhill, since they closed shortly thereafter.

Is Lee's Hawaiian Islander still in business(either North Arlington or Lyndhurst). I remember they were famous for their grass hut tables - another great adventure as a child.

Yes.

Palm Trees swaying in the warm breezes coming off the Pacific (whoops Passaic)

Haven't been there in a million years. They used to offer a mean pu-pu platter

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Pu Pu Inn/Bo Bo Inn - Bloomfield & West Patterson - Chinese Buffets before the mega ones came around

The Fireside - Clifton

Coming in a bit late, but.....

The Pu Pu Inn is gone? We used to go there and then go over to Holstein's for dessert. Pretty excessive amount of food, but my father loves buffets, esp Chinese ones.

And the Fireside is gone, too. I'm from Clifton originally, and that was just always there. I'm not sure we ever went to it, though (hey, I moved when I was 12). Prob too busy eating at the Pu Pu Inn! :)

Please tell me Holstein's is still there....?

Edit: Ok, I should know better then to not finish the thread. It's still there. Whew. I remember getting a 1" x 2" slab o' chocolate in my chocolate chip ice cream once. I got to get back there. Anyone know the building number on Broad?

Edited by Allura (log)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

hmmm...

Ground Round on Route 4, Hackensack (i think) - they let you eat peanuts & THROW THE SHELLS ON THE FLOOR?!!! (great thing when you're 6)

Fiesta Hut, again, Route 4, Paramus

and i don't know the name... there was an ice cream parlor upstairs in Paramus Park, where McDonald's is now... Best Place for Birthday Parties Ever!!!