• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fruitcake Topic

Suvir Saran

10 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

These are the rums I can get to make a Jamaican rum cake, which one would work best? Malibu Caribbean White Rum with Coconut Flavour, Bacardi Coconut Rum Spirit Drink, Lamb's Navy Dark Rum, Bacardí Carta Blanca Rum, Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold, Havana Club 3 Year Old White Rum, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Havana Club Añejo Especial Golden Rum.

I've got some dried mixed fruit (raisins, sultanas, currants and mixed candied peel), can dried chopped dates and apricots be used?  I might be able to sort-of-candy fresh or tinned pineapple.

My personal opinion, having tasted none of the options 🙃, would be to go with a dark rum, so that's the Lamb’s Navy Dark Rum.  The Havana Club Añejo Especial Golden would be my 2nd pick. 

I find coconut and spiced rums can be oddly flavored and white rums lack the warm flavor you want. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My personal opinion, having tasted none of the options 🙃, would be to go with a dark rum, so that's the Lamb’s Navy Dark Rum.  The Havana Club Añejo Especial Golden would be my 2nd pick. 

I find coconut and spiced rums can be oddly flavored and white rums lack the warm flavor you want. 

Yup - Lamb's Navy Dark. the only one on that list suitable for rum cake. If you can find Myer's that would work well too. 

• Like 1