• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dedicated Omelet Pan?

Shel_B

"I was both surprised and happy to realize that the pan she is using is the same model pan I own."

The one she cooks in is a lesser pan than the bare cast aluminum behemoth she shows off.  They still can be purchased from the Pan Shop of Boston.  I have virtually the same pan, made by Club and bearing the name "Rudolf Stanish" (not the painted one, but the restaurant-grade bare aluminum with steel handle).  Seasoned and cleaned properly, it's so non-stick, you can just shake an omelet loose after it sets.  Working 2 of these thick aluminum pans, Stanish could plate 180 omelets in an hour.

As my arthiritis progesses I am happier with lighter pans that I can still handle. My non-stick 10" vollrath is my prefered pan although I do have a 10" non-stick Tramontina also (thrift store find).  I had picked up a 10" non-stick Cuisinart pan from BB&B because of the smooth radius transitition from the bottom of the pan up the sides. It is adequate but when I found the Tramontina I put the cuisinart away. All three produce decent omelets. With 3 adults who cook in the kitchen I need at least 2 10" saute' pans handy.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I haven't read all of the previous entries in this old post, so forgive me if I repeat something,  but I remember Julia Child on the French Chef talking about dedicated omelet pans, showing different kinds and how to care for them, then saying now that teflon pans are here,  you don't need them anymore.  There may be some die hards that still use them but they aren't all that necessary anymore.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I use carbon spun steel pans that I bought in Spain.  I treat them like cast iron and they work great.  I've used teflon pans and they work well also - but you have to follow the directions and use medium heat max - or they won't last.  I've tried one of the ceramic non-stick pans.  It stuck.

FYI: My prefered pan is not teflon-coated which is why I own it. It has different coating that can take high heat well. Using it I make my omelets on my 16k BTU power burner with no fear.

Edited to add: Welcome to eGullet, Bernoullli.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

For omelets I use a Sitram Cybernox pan.  I'm not sure this is the exact same model that I have, but it is something close:

Sitram Cybernox

I've used mine since Amazon was selling books.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Several years ago, on a Christmas Day*, I went out and hunted down a regular cast iron frying pan/skillet for the sole purpose of making pancakes. You can't easily make pancakes in a wok, which was all I had as an alternative. The batter pools in the bottom. 

I also, very occasionally, use it to make omelettes without any problems. I'm just not a great omelette fan. I guess if I were making twenty omelettes a day, I might reconsider, but till then it would just be more storage space gone to waste.

*Christmas Day is just another day here. The frying pan/skillet shops remain resolutely open.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

... a Sitram Cybernox pan.  ..

I just went looking (out of curiosity only) and it looks like there may be some factory-related problem. Amazon lists it as out of stock, and the other 2 sites I went to showed out of stock also.  Again, this was just idle curiosity.

Edited to add: this was for the whole line not just one size of pan.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have had a 9 1/2-inch Sitram Cybernox skillet for several years. I cooked two eggs over easy in it this morning.  It heats evenly but isn't completely non-stick. It is easy cleanup.  It is a little too big for a plain two egg omelet, which is the size I usually make. 

I just read this thread, so forgive me if I am late to the party. I've had a heavy rolled steel omelet pan--never used for anything else--for well over 40 years. I think there may have been a name stamped on the bottom but it has worn off long before. It's about 8-1/2", has a nice long handle that doesn't get hot, and a flat bottom with curved sides that are perfect for rolling out a 2-egg omelet. By now it's so well seasoned that all I have to do is give it a quick rinse and wipe it out. And like many people I bought it in the 1970s under the influence of Julia Child's "The French Chef."

Starting with a dab of butter--about a teaspoon--I dump in the beaten eggs, stir them around a bit with a fork, lift the edges to let uncooked egg flow underneath until the top is still moist and slightly runny, add the filling (if any), fold it and roll it out onto a plate. Easy peasy. I like a soft omelet, which is why so many restaurant versions are so disappointing.

I don't like non-stick pans, and my husband who is the main dishwasher doesn't either. He says, give me a pan I can scrub. I keep thinking I'm eating the non-stick surface along with the food.

My dos pesos--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Edited by Nancy in Pátzcuaro (log)
  • Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"