• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Idiot's guide to What's in Season?

Mambwe

I am wondering if there is anything that says what foods are in season when. I know this time of year is pumpkin and squash, but how about in Jan/Feb? I think I know the obvious ones like leafy greens and tomatoes. Is there a site or something I can look at that will give me this info?

I am wondering if there is anything that says what foods are in season when. I know this time of year is pumpkin and squash, but how about in Jan/Feb? I think I know the obvious ones like leafy greens and tomatoes. Is there a site or something I can look at that will give me this info?

Crawdads will be in season before too long. MMMMMMMM.

Our CSA order this month will contain the following:

The veggie bags will contain: spinach, baby lettuce, carrots, beets, winter squash, artichokes, brussel sprouts, parsnips, cabbage (full bags only) and leeks.

The fruit bags will contain: kiwi, mandarins, Pink Lady apples, lemon, grapefruit, dried fruit (only in the full fruit bags) (Please note that items vary depending on availability)

The root bags will contain: sweet potatoes, potatoes (our own), onions, turnips

Remember that this is CA so we have a longer growing season in many areas. Looking forward since we just joined. Especially the artichokes.

Can taste them already.

Our CSA order this month will contain the following:

The veggie bags will contain: spinach, baby lettuce, carrots, beets, winter squash, artichokes, brussel sprouts, parsnips, cabbage (full bags only) and leeks.

The fruit bags will contain: kiwi, mandarins, Pink Lady apples, lemon, grapefruit, dried fruit (only in the full fruit bags) (Please note that items vary depending on availability)

The root bags will contain: sweet potatoes, potatoes (our own), onions, turnips

Remember that this is CA so we have a longer growing season in many areas. Looking forward since we just joined. Especially the artichokes.

Can taste them already.

Um, gonna embarass myself. What is a CSA?

I think some of this will depend where you live. Around upstate NY, a lot less is in season than what's seasonal in more temperate climates around the world. Where in the world are you? :smile:

Doodad, CSA stands for "community-supported agriculture". I like Local Harvest's description much better than anything I can come up with: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

When you say "in season" what exactly do you mean? Do you mean grown locally during any given time period or any month? Or do you mean that certain veggies and fruits are available seasonally in the stores?

In northern CA the farmers markets are a relatively good indicator of what's grown within a certain radius of my home (altho some stuff is trucked from as far as southern CA) but large stores also get produce from all over the globe when it is in season--somewhere. Soft shell crab is in season here the same time as it is in season on the east coast; it just travels farther to get to my fish market. Fresh bergamot season here in the Bay Area is in late December, early January (blink and you'll miss it!) It isn't local but it's definitely seasonal.

To complicate matters, if the concern is one of footprint size, it isn't always the case that locally grown produce costs less in energy from field to table. I love knowing who grows may favorite onions, but it was sobering to read that recent article (I think in the NYT) showing how an organic strawberry on a small pick-up truck from 200 miles away can have a bigger footprint than one that rides a honkin' semi from the Central Valley to Chicago. Lot's of decisions (and maybe so little time left to make them.)

I think some of this will depend where you live. Around upstate NY, a lot less is in season than what's seasonal in more temperate climates around the world. Where in the world are you? :smile:

Doodad, CSA stands for "community-supported agriculture". I like Local Harvest's description much better than anything I can come up with: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Thanks and by gosh there is one right near me.

citrus

nuts

quince

pomegranates

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but, up here in quebec, there is maybe a two week window in early-mid october where 'Ontario Peaches' become soooo amazingly good. I remember eating through like 9-10 in a day!

But then of course they go back to being hit or miss for the rest of the year. I'm sure there's a similar 'sweet spot' for other vegs and fruit though (mandarins, pomegranate and sweet potatos are other candidates i think)...

Hang out in the farmer's market and you will find out -- if you need a virtual farmer's market, listen to KCRW's Good Food. Every program begins with a visit to the farmer's market to see what's in season.

Mind you, it's California, but it helps.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 4 weeks later...
Hang out in the farmer's market and you will find out

Mind you, it's California, but it helps.

not necessairly, and i live in california.

for example, they sell tomatoes all year round here.

and, to further confuse the issue, a local farmers market gave out free farmers market calenders that highlighted several fruits or vegetables each month. i'm assuming that the fruit or vegetable chosen was when it was in season, or at its peak. and, it makes sense with something like artichokes and asparagus in a spring month and something like corn in a summer month.

yet, according to this calender, the season for brocolli is in febuary which would make it a winter/spring vegetable. yet, in russ parson's book, he categorized brocolli and cauliflower as fall vegetables.

Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and other coles are cool season veggies. Depending on your climate, you can plant them in either spring or fall (or winter, if you are in a really warm place) but they don't do well in hot weather, because they go to seed quickly.

Same for green peas and lettuce.

sparrowgrass

http://www.eattheseasons.com/

I am no good with adding the links, but this is a nifty little website I use for finding out whats good now

Thanks for the link, CKatCook!

It's interesting to toggle between the recommendations for Canada/US and UK.

For eg., the UK page has walnuts and beets in season now which I think would apply equally well to the US. Anyway, thought I would point out the UK options for US readers and vice versa.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"