• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beard Foundation "20 Essential Cookbooks"

Chris Amirault

The James Beard Foundation recently listed the following 20 books as essential to every cook's library, whether expert or novice. Press release here, and the list is below:

James Beard, American Cookery

Rick Bayless, Authentic Mexican

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything

Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck, Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume One

Julia Child, The Way to Cook

Marcella Hazan, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking

Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Desserts

Sharon Tyler Herbst, The New Food Lover’s Companion

The King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion

Sheila Lukins and Julie Rosso, The Silver Palate Cookbook

Deborah Madison, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

Jacques Pépin and Léon Pererr, Complete Techniques

Jancis Robinson, The Oxford Companion to Wine

Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker, The Joy of Cooking

Julie Sahni, Classic Indian Cooking

Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby, The Thrill of the Grill

Rick Stein’s Complete Seafood

Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook

Barbara Tropp, The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking

Have at it, friends. What's missing? (As this is a marketing gambit, only currently in print books need apply.) What's there that ought not be?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

It's kind of scary that I have most of those books. I'd argue that James Peterson's Sauces should be on there.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I might have 16 or 17 of these books, but please, Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook before books like LaRousse's Gastronomique, any of Irene Kuo's or Ken Hom's seminal Chinese cook books, Paula Wolfert on Mediterranean cuisine, Casas on Spanish, Bugialli on Italian, etc.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Every list can be argued with, but when I saw this one in the paper I thought it was pretty damn good. Of course, there are things that could or even should be on such a list that are not included. But there is lots of good stuff in all these. I have ten or so of this list and am glad I do

Like most lists, this one is annoying/beneath notice. "Still in print" is clearly the major selection criterion for at least half the list; several of these books I passed on when they first came out (like Silver Palate, ho-hum)--and I own hundreds of cookbooks. Rick Bayless for Mexican? I do have it, and it's fine--but no way it would be on the list if Kennedy's The Cuisines of Mexico were still in print! And The Way to Cook? I gave my copy away. Now, From Julia Child's Kitchen, that's another story.

I might have 16 or 17 of these books, but please, Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook before books like LaRousse's Gastronomique, any of Irene Kuo's or Ken Hom's seminal Chinese cook books, Paula Wolfert on Mediterranean cuisine, Casas on Spanish, Bugialli on Italian, etc.

I suspect what the Beard foundation was trying to do was to include books in most categories. In the Hors d'Oeuvres category, Martha's book is pretty damn good.

Every list can be argued with, but when I saw this one in the paper I thought it was pretty damn good. Of course, there are things that could or even should be on such a list that are not included. But there is lots of good stuff in all these.  I have ten or so of this list and am glad I do

Agreed. This is not a list of the "best cookbooks ever" but an eclectic one that covers a fairly broad base, and a home cook would have most of their bases covered by owning these.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.