• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with a pan size substitution

torakris

I have a recipe for something called a Poppy Seed Slice that I really want to make. It calls for a 11x35cm (4 1/2 x 13 3/4 in) loosed-based flan tin.

I am not really sure what a loose-based flan tin is but I am sure I don't have one in the house.

The only cake pans I have (besides round ones) are 9x9 in and 9x12 in. Could I use one of these cutting the dessert lengthwise before slicing it into oblong slices?

The recipe is basically a shortbread pressed into the pan and then blind baked. The milk soaked poppy seeds are mixed with a butter, sugar, egg and flour mixture, spread on top and baked again. After colling they are cut into finger sized strips.

Will these be possible in either of the pans I have?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I have a recipe for something called a Poppy Seed Slice that I really want to make. It calls for a 11x35cm (4 1/2 x 13 3/4 in) loosed-based flan tin.

I am not really sure what a loose-based flan tin is but I am sure I don't have one in the house.

The only cake pans I have (besides round ones) are 9x9 in and 9x12 in. Could I use one of these cutting the dessert lengthwise before slicing it into oblong slices?

The recipe is basically a shortbread pressed into the pan and then blind baked. The milk soaked poppy seeds are mixed with a butter, sugar, egg and flour mixture, spread on top and baked again. After colling they are cut into finger sized strips.

Will these be possible in either of the pans I have?

Kristen

If you scroll down to the third item here I think you will find the loose bottom tart pan that the recipe calls for. I can't help you with a substitution since this removable base means it's easy to remove the baked goods and a non-removable bottom might pose a challenge. I hope other bakers will chime in and help you out with a substitution!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd use the 9 by 9. It's the closest to the square inches of the 4 1/2 by 13 3/4 that you are using.

Then cut really long slices, maybe cut them in half crosswise if you like the look.

Are either of your round pans 9"? If your poppy seed slice is fairly flat (and it sounds like it is), then a 9" round pan would be closest to what you want in terms of surface area. Then just cut your slices into wedges.

4.5x13.75=61.875 inches squared is the area you're looking for

9x12=108 inches squared

9" square=81 inches squared

8" square=64 inches squared

9" round=63.585 inches squared

8" round=50 inches squared

You could also make your own little 8" square pan using parchment paper. I did it in baking class once, and it worked well for the florentine bars we were making (which were similar to your slice in that they were a shortbread crust, parbaked, then topped with nuts and baked again.

I'd use the 9x9 square, then multiply the values in the recipe by 1.5. You can then divide it into 2 and cut each 4.5x9" "loaf" as before :smile: of course, keeping a close eye on the doneness, and using 2 foil/parchment overhangs on the sides to compensate for the lack of a removable bottom (cool in the pan then chill, then take out).

Edit: I meant COMPENSATE, not overcompensate... Ew, a Freudian slip. :raz:

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

This sounds like your basic cheesecake pan..removable bottom, clamp on the side ...if you line one of your round pans with paper or foil you should be good to go

tracey

springform....thats what its called

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Springform is different - loose-bottom pans are what Anna shows in the link in her post.

I think I've only seen one in ?? decades in Japan. They leak if used unlined with runny batters, so tend to come in square shapes for slices etc.

They are only worth buying if you bake a lot of slices (they specified a flan tin because it is shallow, so the inside of the pan doesn't steam up - in other words, the base bakes nice and crisp).

As prasantin says, wedges are just as good, so a pie dish will do well if you have one in a convenient size. It may break up easily, so stick baking paper under the pastry, allowing enough to hang over the edges and make it easier to remove the slice WHEN COOL :cool: ).

Very clearly sounds like a tart pan with a removable bottom, as Anna notes with the link, not a springform pan.

Since it calls for a shortbread (pastry) crust, there shouldn't be a problem with leaking. I bake custard based tarts in those pans all the time, and there's never a problem with leaking or removing the tart from the pan. I've also substituted a round cake pan at times, and I'd recommend you try that, using a round pan that is equivalent in size to the tart pan. Simply line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper, and maybe butter and flour the sides. But you could probably simply line the bottom with parchment and then run a sharp slender knive around the edges once it's cooled to remove it from the pan.

Thanks everyone!

I ended up using the 9x9 square lined with foil for easy removing, I don't know why I didn't think of that.

It took longer than I thought so my friend took it home to cool and I won't even be able to taste it. It looked good though.

The only problem with not using the pan specified is that part isn't up on both sides, it isn't going to look much like the picture but I am pretty sure it tasted good. I doubt I will be making too many things like this so I have no plans for searching out the pan, is this pretty much the only thing you make with this type of pan?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

. . .

I doubt I will be making too many things like this so I have no plans for searching out the pan, is this pretty much the only thing you make with this type of pan?

I bought mine for a specific recipe - a tomato and mozzarella tart but I have seen many recipes that use this type of pan for fresh fruit tarts and savoury tarts made with a phyllo crust. I find it a very attractive and unusual shape for a change but I confess to using it VERY rarely. The removable bottom is just the kind of insurance a non-baker like me really appreciates. :biggrin:

Edited to add ellipsis. . . .

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog