• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sashimi, beyond fish

Just a warning. Even after you cut the head off, the frog remains very. . . :shock: . . .lively. We cut the head off a big bullfrog and set him down to go find a bowl. As soon as he hit the ground, he hopped off into the night and it was only with great difficulty that we retrieved him.

Be prepared. :wacko:

sparrowgrass

• 6 months later...

For most people the word sashimi conjures up an image like this

i1880.jpg

a plate of sliced raw fish, neatly plated

However in Japan, fish is just the beginning. You name it and you can probably find it somewhere.

What are some of your favorite (or least favorite) non-fish sashimi??

Just last weekend I was fortunate enough to be served an incredible shika (deer) sashimi, this was a first for me and I am hoping to able to enjoy it again sometime. I didn't think to pull out my camera at the time, but this is better than one I would have taken anyway.

Some other non-fish sashimi we have discussed include:

kujira (whale) sashimi

Chicken parts, including brains, liver, gizzards, etc

liver sashimi, including beef and chicken

basashi (horse sashimi)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

A few years ago we received a big box of frozen venison from a hunter acquaintance who advised us to eat it raw. But as much as I like sashimi, I draw the line at game meats because of the potential dangers. Like parasites, chronic wasting disease and hepatitis. Wild boar and deer are dangerous enough that I seem to recall the Japanese government warning against eating them raw-- a rare move, given the many other dangerous foods the government happily ignores.

So the deer meat became a lovely stew, but as good as it was I can't help wondering what deer does sashimi tastes like. So how was it Kristin?

Hopefully it tastes better than raw whale, which I tried as sushi last year (sorry for the bad picture):

264536594_9cd775bf3e_o.jpg

This was actually the most expensive item we ordered, which is too bad because it was just awful. It had a very bloody, organ meat kind of flavour that makes me wonder how anyone could like it.

Domesticated mammals, I have no problem with. Beef sashimi and basashi are just heavenly and chicken sashimi is nice too, although I really prefer it cooked.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I have had suppon liver sashimi before. It was served along with a sake glass filled with the raw blood mixed with sake. Interesting, but not one of my favorites. The suppon was pithed and gutted right in front of me and the blood was drained directly into the glass.

Information on suppon

Wow...I must say you're very brave...*salute*

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I have nothing to contribute on the subject, but I had to take a moment to say the fish plate picture is stunning. SO happy to see you posting again.

I think that pic was one years Osechi am I right?

Yes, you are right!

It was from my foodblog during the New Years holidays a couple years ago!

So the deer meat became a lovely stew, but as good as it was I can't help wondering what deer does sashimi tastes like. So how was it Kristin?

The deer meat was incredible! I will eat it again in a heart beat. It is now ranking up there with as one of my favorite foods.

I don't think it's a good idea to eat raw chicken anything...is it? :unsure:

Raw and rare chicken isn't unusual in Japan, though most restaurants that serve it are quite proud of where there chicken comes from and how it was raised. Chicken sasami (tenderloin) is probbaly the most common and even many cookbooks/cooking magazines have recipes in which the tenderloin is dipped in hot water for just seconds, this turns the outside white while the inside is still that creamy peach pink.

Chicken sasami (tenderloin) is probbaly the most common and even many cookbooks/cooking magazines have recipes in which the tenderloin is dipped in hot water for just seconds, this turns the outside white while the inside is still that creamy peach pink.

ササミの湯引き (directly translated, Sasami pulled through hot water) is good when prepared well, but I've been to quite a few places where they leave it in the water too long. Generally, because of its lack of fat and what not, sasami's difficult to prepare properly :( Another common preparation is to sear the outside very quickly, then slice (similar to what's done with preparations of tuna) or marinate in sake + some other things for a few days.

Does that count as sashimi still though?