• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Embarrassing Cookbook in Your Collection

The Paula Deen book. To double the shame, I've actually made something from it. (For the record, it was Gooey Butter Cakes for a friend - SO SO sweet, but actually pretty yummy.)

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Jeff Yates Cookin' n' Pickin', 1980 $3.50.

72 original mountain recipes, from Caramel fried apples to Groundhog potpie.

Bought the book for the music, I playing banjo, fiddle and guitar. I’ve made every recipe in the book, except Groundhog potpie… never been able to find a groundhog. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
skulking in with:

Cooking the Costco Way

Oh, yes I have a similar one that they gave away for free over the holidays: Favorite Recipes the Coscto Way.

Also fairly embarrassing is a collection of old spiral bound & junior league type of things that my mom gave me, including Lean and Luscious and the Delitefully Healthmark. On the top shelf next to the Betty Crocker & Better Homes that I never use.

And, Seminole Fan Cookbook, from some Florida friends.

Jeff Yates Cookin' n' Pickin', 1980 $3.50.

72 original mountain recipes, from Caramel fried apples to Groundhog potpie.

Bought the book for the music, I playing banjo, fiddle and guitar. I’ve made every recipe in the book, except Groundhog potpie… never been able to find a groundhog.  :rolleyes:

I know where you can find one. If you're ever in Punxutawney, PA some February 2nd..... :laugh:

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I have almost the entire collection of those Better Homes & gardens cookbooks from the 70's and early 80's. For example:

Meat Cookbook

Best Buffets

Meals Men Like

Salad Cookbook

Country Cooking

Mexican Cooking

and many, many others........ I just can't stop myself from buying them.

I think it is more of a Lileks Regrettable Food Gallery type thing more than I would actually cook anything from them...although I do have one that has handwritten recipes inside the back cover. The one for "crumble" is delicious !

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Taste of Home Cookbook.

I actually use a recipe in it too. Oh the shame.

I have a Taste of Home magazine that contains nothing but recipes for cupcakes and muffins.

From which I use about half a dozen recipes.

Often.

I feel like I'm cheating on James Beard.

Let the others eat cake; I want pie!

I have the Mayberry cookbook, the Sopranos cookbook, and a number of others...

But really, despite having thousands of cookbooks, even the "embarrassing" ones aren't really embarrassing. I consider them more like humorous conversation pieces. Although I keep the serious cookbooks I use most often in a public, easily-accessible place, and the rest in an out-of-the-way place, when I occasionally rotate the serious books, I always put a few of the so-called embarrassing ones out prominently...because, dollars to doughnuts, those are the ones people want to pick up and look through and talk about.

My favorite? That would probably be The Easy-Bake Oven Gourmet.

--Josh

• 4 weeks later...
Taste of Home Cookbook.

I actually use a recipe in it too. Oh the shame.

I have a Taste of Home magazine that contains nothing but recipes for cupcakes and muffins.

From which I use about half a dozen recipes.

Often.

I feel like I'm cheating on James Beard.

I actually took the time to submit a few of my cupcake recipes for that issue. They didn't publish one :angry::laugh: !

The complete guide to Jello!  It was one of those books handed down from my mom who sent in proof of purchase labels when I was a kid

I made the layered parfait from that book when I was a kid...would be tough to find a fridge with wire shelves to tilt the glasses nowadays

:rolleyes:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I received a Jacksonville Jaguars cookbook this Christmas from my family in Jacksonville, it's um... very casserole and cookie "bars"-centric. Previous year, I got a Paula Deen party cookbook. I get the feeling every cook south of the Mason-Dixon line has a huge closet filled with nothing but 9X13 casserole pans, and a walk-in freezer full of Cool Whip tubs... :unsure:

Fun fact: my husband and I have been househunting, and in almost all the homes we toured, I saw at least 1 of Rachel Ray's cookbooks. Is this really the most important/most commonly used book in any home cook's kitchen, or is this just the book that realtors/stagers like to strategically place on the shelf?

Edited to add:

I could just cry... or weep for joy, at any rate... I'd just remembered to add a truly embarrassing (albeit online) cookbook by horrific essayist and unfortunate sort-of-cook Amber Pawlik. Sadly, her site is no more, but here is a hilarious recap of her Recipes page, particularly her veggie pizza (stolen from Pamered Chef):

http://www.sadlyno.com/archives/001377.html

Well, we'll always have the Freeper Canteen, the most embarrassing online cookbook I've ever seen, ever. taco Soup, anyone?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1579429/posts

Edited by LVic (log)
  • Similar Content

• By Brooke Dojny
      Fried Clams (From the New England Clamshack Cookbook)
      Serves 4 as Appetizer.
      Reprinted with permission from The New England Clamshack Cookbook by Brooke Dojny, 2003

Vegetable Oil or solid white shortening for frying, such as Crisco
      2-1/2 pt shucked, medium-sized whole-belly soft-shell clams
      1-1/2 c evaporated milk
      1-1/2 c yellow corn flour
      3/4 c pastry flour, cake flour or all-purpose flour
      tartar sauce
      lemon wedges

1. Heat the oil or shortening over medium heat in a deep fryer or heavy, deep pot until it reaches 350 degrees F.
      2. Rinse the clams gently if they are muddy, and dry on paper towels.
      3. Pour the evaporated milk into a large bowl. In another large bowl, stir together the corn flour and pastry flour.
      4. Using your hands, drip about one third of the clams into the milk, letting the excess liquid drain off. Dredge the clams in the flour mixture, using your hands to make sure each clam is evenly coated. Transfer to a colander or large strainer and shake gently to remove the excess flour.
      5. Slide the clams into the hot fat and deep-fry until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the clams. (Cooked clams can be kept warm in a slow oven while you finish the remaining frying.)
      6. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
      Keywords: Seafood, Appetizer, American
      ( RG468 )
    • By David Ross
      Over the years I've collected both cookbooks and a large collection of what I call cooking "booklets." These are small booklets that were often mailed or given out free at grocery stores.  Most of them measure 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".  My Mother had a large collection, and I've bought many of them, for a few cents each, at vintage shops and estate sales.  I think my Mother would often clip something out of the newspaper food section or a magazine and send it in to the sponsor for the booklet.  Magazines like Sunset and Better Homes and Gardens printed a series of these booklets. 

They're a historical record of the way we cooked and ate at the time, but I also find them a great resource for creating new recipes today.  I'll start by posting the Metropolitan Cook Book printed by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company.  Often there wasn't a published date in these cook books, but based on the recipes compared to my collection of vintage cook books, I'd say this one dates to around 1915.  Many of the recipes are similar to what I've found in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook of that time.  

There is a section of recipes titled "Invalid" recipes, where one could have things like Oatmeal Gruel, Irish Moss Lemonade and a Raw Beef Sandwich.  Under the "Lunch Box" section, there is a suggested cold lunch for "Industrial Workers"-
      1 minced ham sandwich with white bread
      1 Swiss cheese sandwich with rye bread
      1 whole tomato
      1 apple dumpling
      1 cup coffee (in Thermos)

For "School Children"-
      1 cottage cheese sandwich on brown bread
      1 jelly sandwich on white bread
      1 apple
      1/2 pint bottle of milk 

• By Mutleyracers
      Hi all. I hope you are well. I am just into baking bread due to lockdown and need help. Ideally I would like modernist bread but the wife is not quite agreeing to that yet. So I would like some where to start for now until she comes around to the idea. After she has tasted all my amazing breads I make. 

I would like this to be in metric rather than imperial.

Thank you 
    • By Burmese Days
      Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so please tell me if I've made any mistakes. I'd like to learn the ropes as soon as possible. 

I first learned of this cookbook from The Mala Market, easily the best online source of high-quality Chinese ingredients in the west. In the About Us page, Taylor Holiday (the founder of Mala Market) talks about the cookbooks that inspired her.
      This piqued my interest and sent me down a long rabbit hole. I'm attempting to categorically share everything I've found about this book so far.

Reading it online
      Early in my search, I found an online preview (Adobe Flash required). It shows you the first 29 pages. I've found people reference an online version you can pay for on the Chinese side of the internet. But to my skills, it's been unattainable.

The Title
      Because this book was never sold in the west, the cover, and thus title, were never translated to English. Because of this, when you search for this book, it'll have several different names. These are just some versions I've found online - typos included.
      Sichuan (China) Cuisine in Both Chinese and English Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (In English & Chinese) China Sichuan Cuisine (in Chinese and English) Chengdu China: Si Chuan Ke Xue Ji Shu Chu Ban She Si Chuan(China) Cuisinein (Chinese and English bilingual) 中国川菜:中英文标准对照版 For the sake of convenience, I'll be referring to the cookbook as Sichuan Cuisine from now on.

Versions
      There are two versions of Sichuan Cuisine. The first came out in 2010 and the second in 2014. In an interview from Flavor & Fortune, a (now defunct) Chinese cooking
      magazine, the author clarifies the differences.
      That is all of the information I could find on the differences. Nothing besides that offhanded remark. The 2014 edition seems to be harder to source and, when available, more expensive.

Author(s)

In the last section, I mentioned an interview with the author. That was somewhat incorrect. There are two authors!
      Lu Yi (卢一) President of Sichuan Tourism College, Vice Chairman of Sichuan Nutrition Society, Chairman of Sichuan Food Fermentation Society, Chairman of Sichuan Leisure Sports Management Society Du Li (杜莉) Master of Arts, Professor of Sichuan Institute of Tourism, Director of Sichuan Cultural Development Research Center, Sichuan Humanities and Social Sciences Key Research Base, Sichuan Provincial Department of Education, and member of the International Food Culture Research Association of the World Chinese Culinary Federation Along with the principal authors, two famous chefs checked the English translations.
      Fuchsia Dunlop - of Land of Plenty fame Professor Shirley Cheng - of Hyde Park New York's Culinary Institute of America Fuchsia Dunlop was actually the first (and to my knowledge, only) Western graduate from the school that produced the book.

Recipes
      Here are screenshots of the table of contents.  It has some recipes I'm a big fan of.

ISBN
      ISBN 10: 7536469640   ISBN 13: 9787536469648 As far as I can tell, the first and second edition have the same ISBN #'s. I'm no librarian, so if anyone knows more about how ISBN #'s relate to re-releases and editions, feel free to chime in.

Publisher
      Sichuan Science and Technology Press 四川科学技术出版社  
      Cover
      Okay... so this book has a lot of covers.
      The common cover A red cover A white cover A white version of the common cover An ornate and shiny cover  There may or may not be a "Box set." At first, I thought this was a difference in book editions, but that doesn't seem to be the case. As far as covers go, I'm at a loss. If anybody has more info, I'm all ears.

Buying the book
      Alright, so I've hunted down many sites that used to sell it and a few who still have it in stock. Most of them are priced exorbitantly.

AbeBooks.com ($160 + $15 shipping) Ebay.com - used ($140 + $4 shipping) PurpleCulture.net ($50 + $22 shipping) Amazon.com ($300 + $5 shipping + $19 tax) A few other sites in Chinese  
      I bought a copy off of PurpleCuture.net on April 14th. When I purchased Sichuan Cuisine, it said there was only one copy left. That seems to be a lie to create false urgency for the buyer. My order never updated past processing, but after emailing them, I was given a tracking code. It has since landed in America and is in customs. I'll try to update this thread when (if) it is delivered.

Closing thoughts
      This book is probably not worth all the effort that I've put into finding it. But what is worth effort, is preserving knowledge. It turns my gut to think that this book will never be accessible to chefs that have a passion for learning real Sichuan food. As we get inundated with awful recipes from Simple and quick blogs, it becomes vital to keep these authentic sources available. As the internet chugs along, more and more recipes like these will be lost. 

You'd expect the internet to keep information alive, but in many ways, it does the opposite. In societies search for quick and easy recipes, a type of evolutionary pressure is forming. It's a pressure that mutates recipes to simpler and simpler versions of themselves. They warp and change under consumer pressure till they're a bastardized copy of the original that anyone can cook in 15 minutes. The worse part is that these new, worse recipes wear the same name as the original recipe. Before long, it becomes harder to find the original recipe than the new one. 

In this sense, the internet hides information. 

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,