• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ten Reasons to Drink Wine for Breakfast . . .

Rebel Rose

1. The usual, and some unusual, sparklers with a celebratory breakfast.

2. A 3 am post-crush meal of omelette and wine.

3. My black kitten, Diablo, leaps into our bed with . . . a live mouse!! Which he turns loose so he can play with it. And in the ensuing pandemonium and shrieking proceeds to lose it in the bedclothes! So at 5:45 am I am having a little tipple of the house viognier/roussanne blend.

Who needs the other 7 reasons . . . :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

In my family we drink wine for breakfast once a year on December25th. I prepare a tray of flutes containing sparkling wine (usually $10 Spanish) and fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Mmmmmmimosa!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My wife, on tasting a good but undistinguished prosecco: "It'd make a decent breakfast wine."

Reason #4: Uncontrolled Francophilia. If sausage, crusty bread and red wine is a good enough breakfast for those old guys at the market cafe, it's good enough for me.

ETA In our household, a baguette -- or better yet, a ficelle -- sliced lengthwise, buttered and seved with rounds of hard sausage and a glass of red wine is known as the "French Trucker's Breakfast," based on an account I read somewhere of a trip through the Rugnis wholesale market near Paris. In the piece, a group of truckers, having driven all night to get their goods to the market before dawn, were described as standing at a small bar planted amongst the hubbub of the market enjoying sausage sandiches and wine for breakfast, their work being done for the moment. Seemed like an apt reward (though, I actually usually have it for lunch).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

The owner/winemaker of an old central coast winery came to visit us a few weeks ago. The owner is a tall, elegant first-generation Italian and he told us that in his village in Italy (didn't catch the region), the only time the men drank white wine was when they gathered at the local bar before church on Sunday. :laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Even today in many parts of France, men and women will make their way to their neighborhood cafe, there to take a place at "the brass" (the bar) to have either a small glass of marc or a glass of white wine, only then to follow that with their first coffee and croissants of the day.

As to needing an excuse to drink wine with breakfast.....none needed.

Even today in many parts of France, men and women will make their way to their neighborhood cafe, there to take a place at "the brass" (the bar) to have either a small glass of marc or a glass of white wine, only then to follow that with their first coffee and croissants of the day.

(I thought this was "au zinc"?)

My ideal weekend morning breakfast-in-bed tray has champagne, a grapefruit half with a spoon of honey, a toasted baguette, and some soft cheese. But just champagne would be fine with me. :smile: