• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. MelissaH

Costco

Thanks for the info. The shop card I'd use. The rest, not so much. Sounds like, at least for the way we shop, we're better off at Wegmans!
  3. I wonder how reception through jello will be ... what if you made two blocks of jello then carved a cavity for the phone and sandwiched them with the phone in the middle? While the phone would still be touching moist jello, it wouldn’t be submerged in liquid while the jello sets.
  4. lemniscate

Costco

@MelissaH Looks like there's a Groupon deal. I've never used a Groupon anything so I'm not familiar with the process. Article HERE. Groupon link HERE. To be honest, this is a fantastic deal. Also canceling a Costco membership is very, very easy if you are not satisfied. My advice is go for this deal, get the bennies and then test out Costco for your needs. I've been a member for decades and never once regretted it. Highlights of deal here: (LOTS of stuff included, nice things) Groupon is running a limited time offer for a Costco Gold Star membership. According to Groupon’s website, the package deal is valued at $148.98 when you take into account the membership fee and the additional goodies. If you buy a membership through Costco’s website, you can get a one-year Gold Star Costco membership for $60. So, what does this Groupon deal actually get you? Here’s what you get for the $60 Groupon Costco deal: A One-Year Costco Gold Star Membership. This includes a membership card for the Primary Cardholder and one additional Household Card for anyone over the age of 18 and living at the same address. A $20 Costco Shop Card. The gift card is valid towards any Costco purchase, including gas. Exclusive coupons for the following products (a $68.98 value) which vary depending on your Costco location Free Kirkland Signature Ultra Clean HE Laundry Detergent Pacs (a $17.99 value) Free Kirkland Signature Create-a-Size® Paper Towels (a $15.99 value) $10 off Fresh Meat. This includes beef, chicken, pork, or fish but excludes deli items. $25 off any order of $250+ on Costco.com
  5. Today
  6. Throwing this out there for suggestions. My late father had a restless mind, and was prone to sudden enthusiasms. One of those, a year before he died, was growing some backyard soybeans. There was some question for a few months as to whether my mother was lactose-intolerant (turns out she's not) and he thought it might be cool to grow some beans and experiment with making his own soy milk and tofu. He did both, but by that time they knew my mom wasn't intolerant and he quickly discovered that he didn't really care for soy milk and tofu. He used up what he'd made in baking their "special" high-protein, high-fiber bread, but still had several pounds of the beans left over. Those now reside at my house. They're a few years old, and therefore past their youthful prime, but I cooked an experimental batch and they did cook up evenly in a reasonable length of time. So here's my conundrum: I wasn't super-keen on them just as a plain cooked bean. I like me the odd dollop of black-bean sauce at the Chinese restaurant, but a) making it from scratch isn't something I feel inclined to take on right now; and b) I probably wouldn't use it up. I could just discard them of course, and that's their likeliest fate, but I *do* hate to waste food, especially when it's one of the last things my father grew. So I thought I'd call on the collective wisdom here at eG, and see what comes of it. Anyone?
  7. That was my first thought as well, as they're very white on the interior and make a good pie. They're my go-to, if I'm making a pie from a single variety (I often combine them for broader flavor). It's hard to tell by appearance, because Cortlands from some trees are all red, like the ones in the image, but more often they're streaked with green or half-and-half. I've been to the U-pick twice in the past few weeks, so this is all fresh in my head. On yesterday's trip I also got the season's last bag of Dudleys from one grower. They're a 19th-century variety that's popular in Maine and parts of NB, but which I had not previously seen. Looking forward to trying those. In recent weeks I've made dehydrated rings for the grandkids, replenished my store of applesauce, made a couple of apple cakes to share with the neighbours, apple crisp at my GF's request and an apple pie for (Canadian) Thanksgiving. None of them unusual or notable in any way, and no photos to show (I really need to start using my actual camera one day...).
  8. liuzhou

Dinner 2019

Duckburgers. Meat and some fat from duck leg. The bulk of the fat has been rendered and stored and the bones are currently turning into duck stock for tomorrow. More than one burger was consumed.
  9. We had something profoundly good last night. We purchased these beef ribs from Whole Foods a couple weeks ago. I don't remember the price, but it had to have been a decent deal for Ronnie to spring for it lol. We sawed them to make a little rack of short ribs and were left with these which we cold smoked at 185 F for 4 hours. Then I vac packed them and put them in the water bath on Saturday for 24 hours at 155 F. Ohhhhhh they were melty and tender, but not totally falling apart. Perfect.
  10. Shelby

Dinner 2019

Smoked and then sous vide beef ribs with more late corn from the garden
  11. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Wow, indeed! Love your semi-legal scales.
  12. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Wow! And this is not even Texas!
  13. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Will get around to it shortly.
  14. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

I've just done the same and its 69 grams.
  15. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

I will weigh one shortly in its shell.
  16. Kerry Beal

Breakfast 2019

A very auspicious post!
  17. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Yes. Look great. Softer than mine. I guess there is ducks and there is ducks. Different sizes and breeds. The eggs I use are from sea ducks. Don't know what difference that makes! Post 7777
  18. Chapeau for the idea, fantastic! I would keep far from a chamber vacuum machine, the pressure shock while releasing air inside the chamber would risk to detach some electronics, ruining the cell phone. A food saver should be fine, the buttons on the Nokia are dual not single, so it's pretty hard that the bag would press one side more than the other, pressing both sides together does not activate anything. At least if your model is like mine (I'm an old dinosaur and still use my 15 year old Nokia but can't remember which model it is). The problem is that the bags for the food saver are not flat, so people would see the bag and all the ondulations. Avoid freezing too, not a good idea. You can use a double layer of plastic wrap, if you pull it carefully you won't be able to notice it from the front. If you cut it carefully (exact dimensions) you should be able to put the closures on the sides of the phone, so they will be really hard to notice. It won't be completely water proof, but if you use a very viscous first layer of gelatin then the risks are almost zero (Nokia phones are famous for surviving all kinds of hardships, mine included). For the first layer of gelatin you just need to use a high ratio of gelatin per water, for this use going for a technical recipe with glucose and glycerine is overkill. Just use 1 g gelatin (powder form I suppose since you work in a pastry shop) for 10 g water: dissolve the powder gelatin in 10 parts water instead of the usual 5 parts, then melt and use. Make this layer the thinner possible, few millimeters. For the final block of gelatin the lowest ratio is 24 g gelatin per 1000 g water, so if you use powder gelatin you dissolve 24 g gelatin in 120 g water, then melt it and add to 880 g water. Go for the lowest bloom possible, bronze gelatin usually in a professional setting (140 bloom), if you can find the 100 bloom one even better (should be a special order, never seen any professionals using it). Remember that you must wrap the phone when it's on, even Nokia batteries have their limits. Teo
  19. Anna N

Breakfast 2019

Not quite what I was aiming for since I had set the timer for six minutes but better! Next time I might try 5 1/2 minutes. But I am over my fear of boiling duck eggs 😁 so thanks again @liuzhou Edited to add and many thanks to @Kerry Beal for bringing me duck eggs!
  20. I suspect if I'd dug deeper in the container I might have found one!
  21. Actually the salt IS coming from Vancouver Island - Vancouver Island Sea Salt. Learn something new every day.
  22. If you still have the instruction manual (if there was one) it should give a range of operating temps; otherwise the info may be online.
  23. Don't know about freezing - but I sure know that leaving one in the hot sun isn't a good idea!
  24. I just used the 95% EtOH I happen to have around - didn't bother with denatured at all.
  25. Thanks for that - I'll give it a go if I can get my hands on the glycerine and denatured alcohol (shouldn't be too hard). The only issue is that I've got essentially one shot - if the phone gets fried, I don't have another on hand immediately. I'll try this if the vac packing doesn't work out. I think that freezing the phone would help set any jelly instantly, preventing it from getting in. But would freezing it damage the phone?
  26. So here is a link to a molding material that you could use as the first layer around your phone. here are the ingredients in metric 2040 g gelatin 2115 g water 4086 g glycerine 454 g glucose 30 g etoh Of course you won't need a batch anywhere near that big. This molding material I believe will be less likely to damage the phone because it's not terribly wet. (I may be totally wrong on that) I think I'd then encase that in a much jigglier jello for the effect you are after.
  1. Load more activity