• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Have to wait until Dec 1st to start the calendar, no peeking or snacking until then, ha. Kitty is interested in it though, gave it a very thorough sniff before I put it away. ☺
  3. Ah yes, the promise of a "special" Birthday meal. I rewarded my 16-year-old stepdaughter one year with a rather spectacular birthday because she had not only taken care of my dogs while I was on a 10 day dog-show circuit but whelped a litter of puppies that arrived 3 days early, took excellent care of them and their dam as well as the others. Her birthday was in mid December so for her I made a Croquembouche. She had invited 3 friends - her favorite meal was beef stroganoff with glazed carrots and creamed potatoes and peas. They had the dining room to themselves for about 3-4 hours and I could hear a lot of giggling and some music. They enjoyed it and I guess is was a subject at school for the remaining week before the holiday break. They ate every bit of the Croquembouche. The other girls helped Liz clean up pretty well.
  4. @Kim Shook, I have to echo @Smithy's "delightful" comment on that dish and I thank her for the links to the recipes. If I ever saw something like that on a restaurant menu, I would break my "look but don't touch" dessert rule in an instant! I was also pleased to read that the recipe calls for dried figs as I thought your photo looked like they might be fresh, and out of reach around here. Do you make the green apple ice in an ice cream maker? I don't have one but would love to make this over the holidays. Or maybe I can rope my cousin in to the plan and use hers!
  5. heidih

Lunch 2019

Wow those fries look good. We had a food truck at the garden for a while and someone gifted a batch- the guy showered wonderful minced basil over them. It was delightful!
  6. Today
  7. I did have one bread machine, an unusual name and only sold here for about a year or less. It was made in Korea and had a horizontal pan that had twin beaters that were permanently fixed but they FOLDED DOWN flat which was quite clever. The pan itself was shallower than I liked so I gave it away. I have never seen the brand again, at least not the bread machine. It may have been "Tiger" or something like that. I seem to recall a "cat-like" name.
  8. I am in the minority "eat it" camp. Sort of Hansel & Gretel. If you are going out of edible bounds - the railrod call is great. We have a big show every year at our botanic garden and the miniature stuff they use is quite a "show".
  9. suzilightning

Lunch 2019

No cheese, heavy on the pickles for me, please?
  10. My first bread machine (the Cuisinart CBK-100) actually does have that in the instructions -- and the machine beeps at the appropriate time to remove the paddle. I do miss that feature on the Zo. So maybe someone got your letter!
  11. I am still very much in love with my A4. Tonight‘s dinner was a repeat of something I did not too long ago but in that case I roasted the vegetables in the oven. Tonight I wondered if they could be roasted in the A4 box. and indeed it worked very well. Carrots, parsnips, onions and a sliced cheddar Smokey. They had plenty of colour but it’s not showing up very well in this photograph.
  12. liuzhou

Breakfast 2019

Quail scotch egg with tomato and the last of the pickle I smuggled into China from the UK in the summer.
  13. Margaret Pilgrim

Dinner 2019

Brined pork chop, smashed potato, bok choy, pan gravy
  14. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Tonight's dinner was another recipe from Meera Sodha's Fresh India, Park Street kati rolls. I made my own parathas which made it a bit more time consuming than she may have intended. Anyway, the cooked parathas are heated and then topped with egg, then flipped and filled with a sautéed blend of paneer, bell peppers and red onions seasoned with cardamom, cumin, and Indian chile powder, then topped with a cilantro chile chutney. I have no idea why I made two, one was more than filling enough! I saved the other one to repurpose into some sort of breakfast or lunch tomorrow.
  15. In the responses you have received so far you can see how widely opinions differ on your question--35C, 30C. Some people think cocoa butter gets tempered as it is airbrushed; others insist it must be in temper first. I go for 30C (86F) and test it for temper before using it. That said, however, it is very difficult to keep cocoa butter in the temper range during use. It seems to be forgiving in regard to temperature, but you will know when it has stopped being forgiving when it sticks to your mold. Always make a few extra bonbons to allow for cocoa butter's fickle side.
  16. lindag

Dinner 2019

Agreed, this one is a clunker in my eyes. When I use the rest of the meat mixture that I froze I will use a different recipe, most likely my favorite CI glazed meatloaf.
  17. liamsaunt

Dinner 2019

Actually, the recipe calls for 2/3 cup whole milk, and for the panko to be ground up in a food processor before blending it with the meat and milk, I guess to eliminate the crunch. I do not like meatloaf, but I have notes in my cookbook next to this recipe from my Mom's experience cooking it for my Dad and brother. They all said the texture was not pleasing and also they felt the garlic sauce was overpowering...and my entire family loves garlic. Most of Ina's recipes are good, but she does have a handful of real clunkers. I personally cannot stand her recipe for bay scallops gratin.
  18. robirdstx

Lunch 2019

Freddy’s Original Double Combo Meal (no cheese, hold the pickles)
  19. Yesterday
  20. Sold! Brilliant reference. And I will use my dill. I think of dill pickles as what I grew up with, but turnips will be new. I'll do a mixed pickle of carrots, beets and turnips. My friend said that there was a wide variety of vegetables used in the pickles he was served, and I'm just assuming that people used whatever was available and looked good. Surprisingly he claims there were never cucumbers. Clearly DL's experience must have been similar. Weirdly I asked another friend who was in Turkey maybe ten years ago claims that she never saw or was served any pickles. As for cocktail hour, Jeff will do something unexpected with some kind of Turkish alcohol.
  21. these came to mind https://www.davidlebovitz.com/pickled-turnips-turnip-recipe/
  22. Well my nephew was Mr . "white only" - pasta and butter usually. Now he is world traveler adventure food guy (in med school but the Assoes travel alot)- but he evolved on his own.
  23. Thanks I've collected ideas from old food magazines for years and I saw regular mini-wheats but I thought "frosted!"
  24. The power of scent can be astonishing. My avatar dog was never a food stealer but my asisrant with an apple - he stole when she waljed away. . One year of all the presents under the tree I came out in the morning and oops he had gotten his from a relative - not even food!- a pink chew toy bone- huh?
  25. What great presents you exchanged!
  26. heidih

Dinner 2019

So odd to me - never had dense meatloaf and always used my hands. Interesting.
  27. It certainly makes for a much neater loaf. I am still surprised that NONE of the bread machine manufacturers have ever added this process to their instructions. I have been writing to them and suggesting it for at least 30 years. I have owned many bread machines. Currently I still own eleven. It is especially important in the horizontal pans with two beaters, like this 3 pound machine. I began doing it with my first Zojirushi machine which was a vertical pan but had a "peg" that was inserted through the side of the pan to "catch" the dough and assist in kneading. It had to be removed before the baked loaf could be extracted from the pan when done. I began removing both it and the beater at the end of the last knead and just continued to do it with later machines. I always put my suggestion in reviews I wrote for machine and in post in the various groups to which I belonged. The Bread-Baker's digest, an e-mail group that has existed since before the internet.
  1. Load more activity