• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. liuzhou

Yugur Tea

The Yugur are a Tibetan Buddhist minority ethnic group in Gansu province, north-western China. They are addicted to their special salty milk tea. Here is how they make it. 1) Take brick tea pieces and brew with black cardamom and sliced ginger in hot water. 2) When the tea is strongly brewed, add fresh milk and salt, repeatedly stirring to mix. 3) To a cup add parched flour, butter, and then fill with the hot milk tea. The Yugur regard this as nutritious and filling. They find unseasoned milk tea or sweet milk tea to be an abomination. They have a saying which translate as 'tea with no salt is like water'.
  3. Honkman

Dinner 2024

Taiwanese variation of Zha Jiang Mian with ground pork, fresh Shanghai noodles, edamame, napa cabbage, bean sprouts, cucumbers, cilantro, fried shallots, garlic, tienmianjiang, light soy sauce, corn starch and black rice vinegar
  4. @Saltychoc thank you very much. I especially appreciate your tasting notes.
  5. I could benefit greatly from understanding the various capping techniques and when to use them. And to figure out why sometimes my capping is an epic failure. Might someone be able to speak to that topic?
  6. Here is a nice article (and video) about Wayfarer, an artisan bakery in Bird Rock, La Jolla. They make my favorite baguettes (and English muffins) in San Diego! https://www.eater.com/24150455/eater-video-the-experts-wayfarer-bread-san-diego Note: the bakery opens at 8:30 (not 7:30 as indicated in the article)
  7. And at one point in time I used a cheese culture for buttermilk! I can't remember the details, but roughly I would say, whatever lacto culture you have handy, give it a try!
  8. haresfur

Dinner 2024

Looks great. How are you making your verde?
  9. Yesterday
  10. Recently bought a nice thermos/bento lunch box, so far iv made soups and snacks to bring with me to school; but i was thinking about making some pasta with garlic oil on it do i need to worry about botulism?! i know that its normally risky at room temp but would my lunchbox keep it safe? i would make it in the morning and keep it warm like my soups The lunchbox if that helps Zojirushi SL-JBE14BZ Mr. Bento Stainless Lunch Jar 41 Oz Carbon Black (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)
  11. I've used it. It's very good though I wouldn't shell with it. To me it has a strong cocoa flavor with quite a bit of citrus and tastes plant like with an almost powdery finish. That said I used it for a hot cocoa bonbon that was delicious and it definitely pairs well with cinnamon.
  12. Captain

Dinner 2024

Chicken Enchilada with salsa verde
  13. Halvah TMX version 2 Candy, Thermomix Difficulty: Easy Source: Me INGREDIENTS 500 grams tahini 400 grams sugar 200 grams water 125 grams honey chocolate DIRECTIONS Bring 500 g of tahini to 50ºC in Thermomix at about speed 2. Boil the sugar and water to about 115ºC - meanwhile heat honey in microwave - add to syrup and bring to 121ºC. Add to tahini, reverse at speed 3 for about 1 or 2 minutes. When you see it start to thicken, pour into prepared loaf pan. With chocolate, add about half, sprinkle the callets, add other half. Swirl.
  14. Thanks, Curls. I did check that thread, but there's no actual recipe. some people are aware of the root I'm talking about to make it in the thread too. I was hoping Kerry has tried it with that root since it feels like she's tried everything under the sun related to sweets. I will share a video of the traditional way it's made in a factory in Turkey. I know the ingredients needed; I just need to experiment making that white fluff using soapwort. It will probably take me all summer to figure it out, but that will be my challenge for the summer Here is the video I am talking about in case anyone is curious about the type of halva I am referring to:
  15. I suspect you'll find it in one of our Manitoulin trips.
  16. RanaMN there are a few discussions about halava recipes on eGullet! Here is a link to one of them (I'm still looking for the posts about Kerry's halava experiments).
  17. NadyaDuke

Dinner 2024

In spring a middle-aged man's thoughts lightly turn to thoughts of smoking meat. Or at least the one I live with does, ever since we used our vacation money to buy a pellet smoker in 2020. The other night we made something I think we've been making once a year since we got the smoke: red wine braised smoked chuck roast. Smoke the chuck roast about 4 hours (to 165F) then add it to a braise that has tomatoes, carrots, celery, red wine and other good things and pop it in the oven for a few more hours. The first night we had my SIL over and she made a great salad. The second night we were on our own with green beans and that's when I remembered to take a picture. Our nearest farmer's market opens this weekend and I'm looking forward to getting inspired. At the grocery store today I snapped up some local baby turnips - I love those on their own, with dip, or in salads.
  18. My lemon slices didn't get burned. They didn't get caramelized, either. They just got a teeny bit dried out at the edges but pretty much remained inedible/raw but hot. No idea really how you would get them to caramelize or sweeten up. I assume that's not what Alison intended.
  19. Another note of possible interest about the huge house I posted a picture of yesterday. I was wondering if perhaps it was an old home that was being restored, which is why it is so close to the beach, so I did some research last night. It is not, it is new construction. The current owner tore down the old house that was there (an 8,000 sqft house!) and replaced it with this one. It's essentially in the footprint of the old house (though the new house is even larger), which is why the town approved it. I cannot imagine building new construction so close to the ocean in this day and age, but I guess people can do what they want with their money... Yesterday was actually a sunny and warm day, so exploring was in order. We went to Woods Hole and visited Nobska Lighthouse There was a pretty lookout point across the road with a good view of the ferry to Martha's Vineyard Beach walk and then an ice cream stop. Coconut macadamia and coffee heath bar Which necessitated another beach walk, so we drove to the largest beach in Falmouth, Old Silver. People were swimming! That's just crazy For dinner, we went to town for silly sushi. We decided to pick two share plates and two rolls to split. Tuna carpaccio Crispy rice with spicy tuna And then I picked a jalapeño toro roll and husband chose a tempura shrimp roll with tuna and pineapple It's back to gray and rain today, but the sunny day was an unexpected treat.
  20. Nope - just with a honey/sugar syrup in my thermomix
  21. I'm offended! But not as offended as I would be by those burnt lemon slices!
  22. I missed this post! And I just wrote a term paper on that tea cake, see above. How funny. I used yogurt mixed with creme fraiche instead of sour cream. And I didn't find the cake needed extra time in the oven. Maybe my oven runs hot, and also I used a dark metal loaf pan.
  23. I don't have any of Alison Roman's books, but as @weinoo curmudgeonly notes, lots of her recipes are available in various places. I don't know for sure if her Lemony Turmeric Tea Cake is in one of her books but we baked it the other day and it is fantastic. Since my turmeric was old and probably less flavorful than it might have been, I couldn't really identify the taste of it, but it did make for a great color.(That's the color I want for my iPhone case.) It's more of a quick bread than a cake, baked in a loaf pan. Really really good. Not totally sold on the lemon slices over the top. I think you could use Meyer lemons for the top and caramelize them before adding and baking. They were not terribly edible as instructed. And thanks so much for the beauty secrets link. I'm going to get the Boy Brow right away! I come from a long line of women with insufficient eye brows. The day before my mother died, she requested from her hospital bed that I go back to her apartment to get her eyebrow pencil. She looked good when she expired at 94 years old.
  1. Load more activity
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 292 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online