• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook's Illustrated Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Ellen Shapiro

• 2 years later...

I recall reading the article that went with the recipe, where they basically stated that the recipe is from the Quaker Oatmeal box, and they added sugar to make it more gooey. They may have tinkered with it otherwise, but I haven't tried it since it really isn't a "new" recipe.

I recall reading the article that went with the recipe, where they basically stated that the recipe is from the Quaker Oatmeal box, and they added sugar to make it more gooey.

Well, if they started with the recipe from the Quaker Oatmeal Box, then I would say it's a great recipe. It's kind of amazing, but I've baked a lot of different kinds of Oatmeal Cookies in a lot of different establishments, and I still think the best Oatmeal Cookie is the recipe in the Quaker box.

Hands down.

I tried this recipe in my quest for a great Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe. They are very good although I haven't tested enough recipes yet to know if they're "The Best". Marcy Goldman (www.betterbaking.com) suggests using part quick oats and part rolled oats. I tried that with this recipe and it gave a really nice texture.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

On an earlier thread here, a suggestion was made which intrigued me (I haven't tried it yet, mind you). Word has it that frying your oatmeal in part of the fat (butter, margarine, whatever) that's called for improves the flavour dramatically.

Only problem is, I haven't had time to make cookies at home lately...and the batch we make at work is 40kg of dough, which is a bit much to experiment on.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I make these cookies all the time. Using half Whey-Low (or Splenda), they don't seem to raise my blood sugar but aren't as good as the real thing. I agree on the orange-almond variation being great.

Oh, yes--I've never liked oatmeal cookies before.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

On an earlier thread here, a suggestion was made which intrigued me (I haven't tried it yet, mind you). Word has it that frying your oatmeal in part of the fat (butter, margarine, whatever) that's called for improves the flavour dramatically.

I didn't hear about frying, but I did hear about toasting the oats in the oven for a bit. Seems it kind of brings out a nutty flavor in the oatmeal when you do that. I want to try it also, for home baking. At work, I'd have to toast a heck of a lot of oatmeal when I do a batch, and it's not worth the hassle, so I probably won't do it there. Besides, my customers like Sesame Flax Oat Cake Cookies. They have no taste anyway. :raz:

Has anyone ever used John McCann Steel Cut Oat Meal in making cookies? My favorite oatmeal. Very nice texture and nutty flavor.

I agree.....once you try steel cut oatmeal, you don't want the regular stuff ever again! It's great.

I have always wondered what kind of a cookie it would make....if at all. Anyone ever tried it?

On an earlier thread here, a suggestion was made which intrigued me (I haven't tried it yet, mind you).  Word has it that frying your oatmeal in part of the fat (butter, margarine, whatever) that's called for improves the flavour dramatically.

I first learned this technique in Nancy Silverton's Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies (she calls them something else) in her Sandwich cookbook. Must admit that they are my favorite peanut butter cookies ever. Since then, I've toasted my oatmeal in melted butter for my oatmeal cookies and although they aren't perfect yet, I'm liking the results.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Cook's Illustrated claims this is the ultimate oatmeal cookie recipe. Any opinions?

I have used this recipe many times. It is better than any other recipe I've tried. It's the specificity of the oats that's key.

The peanut butter cookie recipe is also excellent. As always, Cook's did the legwork and identified the perfect peanut butter (Jiffy smooth) necessary to make the perfect cookie.

Does CI have a number of other "ultimate cookie" recipies on their site?

They have many cookie recipes. For example:

Thin gingerbread cookies

Sugar cookies

Pecan crescents

Glazed lemon cookies

and lace cookies.

They seem to swear by most of their recipes but appear to be particularly fond of their sugar cookies.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks