• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen concentrated orange juice as ingredient

Fat Guy

Frozen concentrated orange juice, known as FCOJ on the commodities markets, is something I rarely see in people's homes anymore. And from the perspective of a juice drinker, that's a good thing. But the lack of cans of FCOJ in people's freezers means it's not as available for use as an ingredient.

FCOJ is a great ingredient for adding a complex, acidic, interesting sweetness to a wide range of preparations both savory and sweet. It enhances the flavor of meats, especially pork and chicken, and it can improve muffins, quick breads and more. Because it's concentrated to 1/4 of its original state, it's quite thick and sticky.

Anybody have any great uses for FCOJ? It's so cheap and currently unappreciated, it seems a shame not to utilize it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Recipe from the past:

Frozen, concentrated OJ

Burbon

cinnamon stick

Some sugar

Just enough water to cover.

Ripe pears, peeled & cored

Place everything in a deep pan & simmer until pears are soft.

Remove pears & reduce the liquid

Serve cold.

Intense, but very, very good.

Plop a generous dollop of it in a big, tall glass of iced tea.

My neighbor used to do that. It's actually quite good.

Frozen concentrated orange juice, known as FCOJ on the commodities markets, is something I rarely see in people's homes anymore. And from the perspective of a juice drinker, that's a good thing. But the lack of cans of FCOJ in people's freezers means it's not as available for use as an ingredient.

FCOJ is a great ingredient for adding a complex, acidic, interesting sweetness to a wide range of preparations both savory and sweet. It enhances the flavor of meats, especially pork and chicken, and it can improve muffins, quick breads and more. Because it's concentrated to 1/4 of its original state, it's quite thick and sticky.

Anybody have any great uses for FCOJ? It's so cheap and currently unappreciated, it seems a shame not to utilize it.

I use it in many of my cooking classes to give an example of how reductions work. All the flavour, without the water!

At home I mostly use it in baking, but in my sessions I'll often use it to make a punchy mayonnaise or vinaigrette for winter vegetables. For one example, you could shred raw beets/carrots/white turnips on a box grater or a food processor, washing after each vegetable. A hint of ground coriander in the beets, nutmeg in the turnips, and toasted cumin in the carrots (just a hint, mind you); and toss each vegetable separately with the orange mayo. Stack them in distinct bands of colour, with the beets at bottom so their juices don't discolour everything else.

I also use frozen OJ for a quick-and-dirty Maltaise, or for glazing roast pork. It's also good for making a quick orange-pineapple ice cream (pineapples are cheap and plentiful most of the year, up here).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When I was in my teens and learning to cook, I came up with this version of Crepes Suzette utilizing the everpresent frozen can o'OJ in the freezer -- Put concentrate in a skillet + butter + a *little* water, splash of brandy and dash of salt. Pour over freshly made crepes and top with a little whipped cream (back then it was CoolWhip -- ha!)

Suprisingly enough, with the addition of a little more water than I added as a kid, it still stands the test of time (even though I know the classisists are probably turning over in their graves :P ).